Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 2012 GT Base worth having?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 PM
RenGen
Banned

Default Is a 2012 GT Base worth having?

I plan to keep my early s197 as it is the first car I bought brand new (and the first car I financed ) and it's all paid off and MINE I feel like it's my favorite body style, but I am craving a 5.0

Was looking to go after a s550 in a couple years but a local Ford dealer has a 2012 base GT for sale for an insanely good price and I believe it still has factory warranty. (side question: does a vehicle have a higher value if it still carries factory warranty?)

I noticed 99% of enthusiasts I've met rock GT Premium, and I've really fallen in love with my leather seats, but was thinking this is such a good deal down the road I could replace the seats with leather skins and probably replace the steering wheel with a early s197 (for leather feel and I like the carved mustang logo rather than just the silver horse on the new stangs) Does anyone here have GT base? Speak up so that we may have strength in numbers!

And thanks to sites like AM, I feel like I can buy the various silver trimmings and overall it wouldn't feel too different from a Premium, and I I'll be getting a great deal - besides engine, tranny etc are all the same right?

Been wanting to upgrade to a 5.0, so kinda excited.

I have seem a few base GTs and usually they ones that have the tan or 'gray' cloth seats look really cheap, but this is all black interior and I don't think it looks bad at at all.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:28 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

My back side really likes the leather...or fake leather....we backed off of a deal on a 12 Vert base because we did not feel like changing everything right away for us to be comfortable and like the car. With the money they cost in todays world, it is not worth buying what I don't want.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:25 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Since the deal is good, I would go for it. I had a completely base '05 and by the time I sold it it had a premium interior. Seat skins are a pain to install, but relatively easy, just time consuming. And you can find them for $300ish. You can buy a GT500 steering wheel for $160 and have a nicer when than the premiums have stock for cheaper. I'm going to do the same mod soon on my CS. I loved it in my 05.

I never really cared that mine was a base. Even in 05 the cloth seats felt good. In 10+ they look and feel even better. It's got a certain appeal to have a bare bones car like that. I almost bought a completely base 5.0 when I got my CS, but with the great prices it wasn't worth it to do all the swapping over again.

So really, they both have their benefits, but I wouldn't let the car being a base keep you from getting it. They are awesome either way.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Smile

Don't settle - you will regret it in the end. Just wait a bit longer and get what you really want.

Plus, I would not want a Base.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
My back side really likes the leather
unless you drive unclothed, how does your backside know what is covering the seat?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't jump on it just cause it's a really good deal.. It's still a 3 year old car that's not exactly what you want.. I would mod the one you have now and maybe plan on getting a 2015 as you mentioned down the road. I have come to the conclusion after almost trading my 06 in for a coyote a few times that I can't part with it.. I'll just be patient and wait till I can comfortably afford a 2015 plus model. I'll just have 3 mustangs why not ya know?!?! Haha
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Also you say you "plan" on keeping the one you have.. Does that mean it's an option to trade it in for the coyote or no? And yes you will pay more if the car still has the warranty, not a lot but it does help the value depending on how much time/miles are left on it
Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Don't settle - you will regret it in the end. Just wait a bit longer and get what you really want.

Plus, I would not want a Base.
I concur with this post. I was looking for a particular vehicle a few years back. i came accross one and it was a deal I thought I couldn't pass up. It didnt have all the options I wanted, but I didnt care as it was a good price. Three months later, i was kicking myself in the butt for settling, and not to continue to search. I learned my lesson that day, and from then on out, I dont care how good the deal is, if it doesn't have what I want i dont buy. If you settle for something, you will not enjoy driving and then buyers remorse will kick in.... just my .02 cents. good luck.

Last edited by dslpow3r; 06-20-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to have fun selecting Mods from the very healthy aftermarket available for the s197's.... Then the Base is as good as any since in the end you're going to make it your own.

But, It is nice to just buy it the way you want it since that eliminates having to do a lot of the visual and OEM premium mods. Consider how much time you might spend looking at what you will be planting your butt in everytime you get in it and ask yourself if you're always going to say man I wish I just got the Premium package or the Brembo or the Track pack... Or just look a bit more and buy it...then what you'll be thinking when you get in it is wow I love the choice I made... now all I need to do is decide what aftermarket mods I want...

just saying

---
Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I have had 2 base mustangs, never had a complaint with the base vs the premium... but if you like leather you can always find some aftermarket leather, or possibly some leather covers/seats on ebay. Also the base mustangs are lighter... less weight due to less electronics and other options.

Quick Reply: Is a 2012 GT Base worth having?