Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Mustang 5.0 Metal Tapping sound

Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM
STANG2013

Default 2013 Mustang 5.0 Metal Tapping sound

I took my car for an oil change at the Ford Dealership Monday the 16th of June. They put in 5W20 synthetic blend. It was bought new 18 months ago and has 12K miles on it. I drove it off the lot and I heard an intermittent metal tapping sound ( coming underneath the hood). It comes and goes every 5-10 seconds and sometimes it will tap once or more in random intervals. So I immediately took it back to them.

The first thing they tried was replacing the A/C compressor and that didnt fix it. So they have been waiting for Ford help line to make the next decision over the phone and as of this morning they said Ford called them and they are shipping a new short block from Detroit and will replace my short block and that will put me at 2 and a 1/2 weeks until it MIGHT be fixed. They stated that there have been issues before with these and this should fix the problem as it should be upgraded. I called Ford motor CO and explained that this is a new car and I wanted the entire engine replaced. Is that asking too much? Any thoughts, opinions and past/similar expierences welcomed. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM
STANG2013

Also this just started after the oil change from the dealership. I always use premium gas, Roush Axle back exhaust and K&N Intake so nothing installed that voids warranty.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

This is all under warranty I hope!?

You want a new engine? What is this sound? What have they said it could be? Not very specific, it could be something small and stupid...

Last edited by drewsky; 06-20-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM
STANG2013

I'm going to the dealership after work to get some more things out of it since I didnt know they would have it for this long. I will have the mechanic answer some questions and I will run it to get a better answer into this thread of the metal tapping sound. When I took it back to them it sounded like metal on metal tapping not too loud just was never there before. Tink Tink
Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANG2013
I'm going to the dealership after work to get some more things out of it since I didnt know they would have it for this long. I will have the mechanic answer some questions and I will run it to get a better answer into this thread of the metal tapping sound. When I took it back to them it sounded like metal on metal tapping not too loud just was never there before. Tink Tink
LEMON LAW.... if they can't get this resolved in 3 attempts or other problems arise twice afterwards within 90 days of this.....You can and should push for a new vehicle.

Something sounds off about it since it was only noticed after they performed an oil change? And I can only guess it wasn't your first oil change? You might want to ask them to provide a technical bulletin explaining exactly what he means by this "THIS" has happened with them before? And What is the "them" he's referring to? FORD, Mustangs, 5.0 liters, the blocks??? Don't allow them to be vague in their answers ask for details.

---
Old 06-23-2014, 12:33 AM
STANG2013

Default Update

Ford finally called Friday so now I have a customer service person. I also looked into the lemon Law and will push it if necessary. This was my 3rd oil change. So now I play the waiting game for the dealership to take my engine out.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:34 AM
STANG2013

Originally Posted by STANG2013
Ford finally called Friday so now I have a customer service person. I also looked into the lemon Law and will push it if necessary. This was my 3rd oil change. So now I play the waiting game for the dealership to take my engine out.
I'll also find out more specifics if they tell me and this problem occurring in other engines.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Lemon laws vary from state to state. Make sure you know *specifically* how it's handled where your are before trying to initiate the process. Google is your friend.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I want to subscribe to this thread. I have the same intermittent sound when my car is warmed up. It has done it for awhile now. I was thinking it was related to a pulley or something in the accessory drive. I guess I better call the dealership and get it looked at.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:58 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

To add, I believe that my intermittent rattle is related to TSB 12-3-1 (or 11-9-15?). Here is a link to the TSB: http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb12-03-01.pdf

According to the article that I referenced above it sounds like they diagnosed the sound incorrectly. In any case, the next thing to replace would be the chain tensioner and arm. This is a more involved job than the water pump, but shouldn't require a brand new short block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang 5.0 Metal Tapping sound