Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Not a fan of the ones linked. I used to have cervini's side scoops on mine. Ran them for a few years, then took them off and LOVE IT so much better clean. I love the body line that runs along the bottom of the door that swoops up in front of the rear tire.

YUM.

Also I noticed the fender flares more when I took the scoops off. They're pretty gnarly from the factory on the 05-09.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

RenGen you have actually touched on a big issue with the exterior styling of our cars. The sides, especially with the way the streamlined looks scoop inward, should have something more. The design leaves something to be desired. I think a functional scoop like they put on the concept would have looked 1000 times better

That being said, I don't think any of the window scoops or louvers look good. Especially in person, the glass is best

For the side scoops, I purchased the ones you are looking at, and they look pretty bad in person. After a lot of searching, I think the best ones out there, are just the simple sliver ones that fit in that little spot. Squared or rounded, I think something there looks a little better than nothing. Especially from the front.

If you have a black car, the styling rules are different, you can get away with a lot more, just cause black blends together so well.

Ultimately, if you have a bunch of money, you could pay a body shop to mould in some streamlined scoops. Thats what I would like to do if I had the money.

Last edited by ThaiCobra; 06-24-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
What, did I hit a touchy subject for you again?

The benefits of the wing is felt at HWy speeds in excess of 65mph .... Not ornamental in the least bit. I would think the ailerons are helpful as well.

But, it is especially effective when catching 5th gear in a road race.... Maybe climbing from 60-ish up to and exceeding 150-ish while hugging a few long curves. Very stable..... VERY. :-)

If I had to do it again... I'd still get it for an s550.... When that day happens I'll message you Pony boy....

Boom
---

Did you ever wonder why on those nice euro sports cars and a few domestics (SRT-6) why the active wing pops out after 55mph? I'm sure it's because it's only ornamental. Like those bumps on yer hood.

---
No, the wing does very little to nothing for these cars, same as the front steeda splitter you bought into. Go actually race your car and see how many others run nothing other that the stock lip spoiler and spank your a$$. Or, better yet, look at the koni/continental tire series, before steeda starting supplying the race wing and it became mandatory to run, those are actual race cars running Daytona without that "functional" wing. And if you ask the teams why, they will say its not needed on these cars.

And the cars with those "pop-up" wings, look at the overall body shape of them, R8, SRT-6, Bugatti, they are shaped like a airplane wing, and the whole car starts to produce lift at speeds above 55mph. They actually incorporate the wing design into the car.
Our cars are designed to handle WITHOUT the wing.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
No, the wing does very little to nothing for these cars, same as the front steeda splitter you bought into. Go actually race your car and see how many others run nothing other that the stock lip spoiler and spank your a$$. Or, better yet, look at the koni/continental tire series, before steeda starting supplying the race wing and it became mandatory to run, those are actual race cars running Daytona without that "functional" wing. And if you ask the teams why, they will say its not needed on these cars.

And the cars with those "pop-up" wings, look at the overall body shape of them, R8, SRT-6, Bugatti, they are shaped like a airplane wing, and the whole car starts to produce lift at speeds above 55mph. They actually incorporate the wing design into the car.
Our cars are designed to handle WITHOUT the wing.

So...You are grasping for answers based on your vast experience designing wings and aerodynamics.... Concerning a wing as opposed to a spoiler. If a 70mph wind will cause enough downforce on an inverted wing design to keep the car planted then that's working to prevent lift and so do splitters on the front of the vehicle to prevent front end lift. BTW your given examples are shaped like an inverted wing Pony Boy and require those wings less than your car does to counter the effects of lift. If you can't grasp that concept then go ahead and hang with the guys that will spank my *** without it and say its not required...Do you even understand why its not needed for them? Or do you want to have that explained to you as well?

Other than that at low speeds since not every race involves high speed run for more than a mile you would benefit from a high mounted wing or a properly place roof spoiler OR if your car is already shaped like a brick then not having a wing at all would suffice. All will prevent a car from gaining lift into turns.

And

You answered your own arguement Pony Boy. The wing deploys to prevent lift.....and benefits ANY vehicle looking to negate that effect at Highway speeds. Go ahead and look at the shape of those vehicles. (GO ON and look) If anything they require less need for a wing that our Mustangs do since aerodynamically the entire vehicle is essentially an inverted wing. However in all your vast experience you seem to think that the shape of your Mustang, which is closer to a box than a wing will not benefit from a proper wing and splitter. But would benefit from a strategically non-functional bump on the hood. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Hold on I gotta stop laughing now.

For those supercar example of yours the aerodynamics are bit more strategic since the Active wing deploys at Hwy speeds to provide down-force over the rear where the power is going to the rear wheels.... even in an AWD vehicle the power gets distributed more towards the rear wheels at higher speeds.

Seriously.... I enjoy a good debate. But, when its someone who knows what they're talking about.

Boom

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

You are right, I have a "bump" on my hood. I didn't put it there, factory did. Why don't I remove it, cause I don't race the car, and I don't try to make it look like I do either. The one I do race is fully functional, with the what actually makes the air work around and through the car. I also understand what actually works and what doesn't as Ive been in racing and experimenting with aerodynamics in the real word for 15yrs with everything from the mustang to ferarri, audi, lambo and Porsche, to even nascar race cars.

~BOOM
Old 06-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I'd personally leave it stock and not put any side scoops on if for nothing else, cleaning/drying the car. I use very colorful words when I'm drying my car. A cricket farts and water will run out from the seams.

Cosmetically, I'm pretty big on OEM look. The ones linked in the first post are intriguing though because they blend back to the fender flare. It really looks better on darker color cars than lighter in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RenGen
That's the best attitude I find myself getting competitive and frustrated especially when I see sn95s on the road my mind starts racing like "I HAVE TO SHOW THEM UP" but honestly the main reason I got this car in the first place is that its my escape from humanity, and I DONT want it to be trapped by other people. As far as I'm concerned, my car is the Chariot of FIRE!! (g2 baby)

My mind also changes as someone else mentioned, somedays I love the louver look, and somedays I don't - so for now I think I'm going to keep it the way it is. While we are talking about aesthetics, do most of you guys tint your tail lights or leave them as is? sometimes I feel like they look 'too red', but at night time I feel they look 'perfect' lol.

I got a louvered deck lid panel and sequential tail light harness, and trying to decide if I like it better stock or smoked. I know lotta people going gen5 tails, but 400$ for tail lights is not worth it to me.

BTW I hear that shaker system DOES help reduce heat, so it IS functional
OP,

I'm a little late to the party here but BlindGuy nailed it-At the end of the day we're fortunate enough to have these great cars and it's our duty to modify and option them as we see fit! I'm not entirely sure what color yours is but take a look over at our Customer Submitted Images to get a better idea of how they're going to look on your car.

If you don't have AM's discount code either shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up!

-Alex
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
You are right, I have a "bump" on my hood. I didn't put it there, factory did. Why don't I remove it, cause I don't race the car, and I don't try to make it look like I do either. The one I do race is fully functional, with the what actually makes the air work around and through the car. I also understand what actually works and what doesn't as Ive been in racing and experimenting with aerodynamics in the real word for 15yrs with everything from the mustang to ferarri, audi, lambo and Porsche, to even nascar race cars.

~BOOM
Good for you Pony boy...then you should know how aerodynamic a box on 4 wheels is since our Mustangs are pretty similar.

Funny..I don't see you sponsoring commercials with your fame to racing. You're just like many of us here...who dabble in the sport and love the adrenaline. So don't flatter yourself since I have a list of exotics I've dealt with hands on and personally as well.

You're not special Pony Boy, you're just different in your wants and needs...and that's okay. You don't need what I do and I don't want what you do and visca versa. Its what makes our world .... Interesting.

So tolerate it or move...Mars is currently vacant. ;-)

Boom

---

For the record...here's a member of our forums that custom fabricated functional aerodynamics that came out sweet. Notice no ornamental hood bump, scoops or spoilers. Everything...is functional. And he's definitely recieved props for his application of form following function.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...oto-gallery/#1

Just Saying

---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 06-24-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: rub rub rub
Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR
I'm going to put on the CS style scoops. I don't care if they are functional or not.

I like the way they look and could care less what someone else thinks. I didn't buy this car for other people.

I'm also going to do the shaker hood even though it does nothing for performance. I think it looks cool and that is all that matters. I wish it was bigger for our large hoods, but again that is my own thought. Others probably think it is perfect.

If you like those scoops get them. Customize the looks of your car for you not the people on this forum. Anything performance, mod ideas, how to's or mechanical issues these forums seems to be an awesome source, but appearance is personal choice.
Agreed!!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Ditto above... But then again if you come to an open forum asking for an opinion...you're gonna get it from each end of the scale. Niether positive or negative...its a preference.

Once you accept that then you'll be able to live in harmony with others and yourself....

peace and love..peace and love

;-)

Just saying

Quick Reply: side scoops?