Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is a gear install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default How hard is a gear install?

So when I first bought my stang in 09' I purchased a set of 4.10's before even thinking about how to install them in my naivety. I still have them and I am also buying the steeda rear brake upgrade kit. Both require axle removal so I figured it would be best to do them at the same time. Is this a one-man install with tools or should I have a buddy there helping me? Better yet, does it require a shop? I am mechanically capable (run cnc machinery and have done all the previous work to my car myself other than alignments and tire balancing) and have dial gauges etc.

Is this something I can knock out over the weekend or should I let a shop handle it?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

If you installed everything listed in your mods list, you should be able to knock it out with the help of a friend.

Just remember to get your tail/backlash right! Otherwise, your rear end is not going to sound happy at all... Hopefully you bought the entire gear combo kit.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
If you installed everything listed in your mods list, you should be able to knock it out with the help of a friend.

Just remember to get your tail/backlash right! Otherwise, your rear end is not going to sound happy at all... Hopefully you bought the entire gear combo kit.
Nah but I was planning on buying the ford racing install and high torque bushing kit from AM to do the install.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:40 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I would not recommend this at all. The fords are extremely tricky rear ends.. Will whine with the slightest of slightest wrong adjustment. Use only ford racing gears and have a shop do them. If they whine after that it's there duty to replace them. If not it's in you. I know your more than capable just saying from the countless stories, and the diff shop that installed mine's advice.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
So when I first bought my stang in 09' I purchased a set of 4.10's before even thinking about how to install them in my naivety. I still have them and I am also buying the steeda rear brake upgrade kit. Both require axle removal so I figured it would be best to do them at the same time. Is this a one-man install with tools or should I have a buddy there helping me? Better yet, does it require a shop? I am mechanically capable (run cnc machinery and have done all the previous work to my car myself other than alignments and tire balancing) and have dial gauges etc.

Is this something I can knock out over the weekend or should I let a shop handle it?
if you know how to use gauges and set clearances then you're technically capable of doing the job. you just need to know what to do.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I personally wouldn't...
Old 06-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Give some thought to exactly how you're going to support the differential so you can remove the old ring gear and torque the bolts for the new ring gear. I'm not sure I'd trust most vices.

Norm
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

FWIW, I got a quote from a very reputable shop here in town for $275 labor with my parts. Very fair and very fair considering IO don't have the slightest clue how to do a gear swap and $275 is worth me not panicking on a saturday night trying to change a rear end lying on back in my garage.

Just pay someone....
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There's two sides to this:
- do you WANT to take on the job and try to do it yourself, regardless of how long it takes you?
- do you not want to take the chance, and as such, pay a REPUTABLE shop to install them?

The process of changing gears is not hard, but there are a few crucial steps and measurements that make the difference of a successful install vs. a mess.
If you want to try to do them, and have dial gauges and inch-pound dial-type torque wrenched at your disposal, you can do it, but I recommend that you read through the procedure in a Ford service manual, in gear install instructions, and look at some videos on how to do it.
But, whenever I do gears, I prefer to pull the entire rear end out of the car, simply because it makes it easier to work on (without a lift).

If you want to tackle it and want someone to call if you have questions, PM me and Ill send you my phone number. (I've installed "a few" gear sets for people, including my 2 Mustangs).
Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I got a quote from JPC Racing for $600... I think that's a little steep since it is NOT including the gears (as far as I could tell)... I plan on getting the kit from Brenspeed that gives me mosers, a new diff, 4.10s etc... but yea, I don't think I can bite the bullet on $600.... I've installed everything else on my car myself (so far)

Quick Reply: How hard is a gear install?