Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Default Stop me from overspending on Rotors/Pads

Well, it's that time.

I've been shopping around for aftermarket rotors and pads for my 08 GT.

While, I'm not usually the type to go for the ebay rotors. These caught my eye:

Another option (If it isn't considered tacky) is to purchase the the
and then pick up a set of OE rears on the cheap and hi temp paint the rotor hats to match. I've seen some cars with slotted fronts and blanks on the back and I don't mind, I just want to make sure I'm not committing some heinous crime.

As for pads, this car is strictly a street car so I can probably get away with ceramics. Looking at the Hawk Ceramics on AM has me thinking I'm paying more for the name than the pad itself there. Are they really up to snuff or is there a more reasonable set with minimal noise/dust out there?

EDIT: What about centric brake pads?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights

Last edited by Rocket254; 06-25-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT
gordito85

I've ordered some drilled rotors for my 06 from R1Concepts before and never had any issues. Thats a good place to start if you're looking for something fancy.

And I just noticed THESE from AM.

Good luck

2012 Kona Blue 5.0
D2S 3.0 Projector headlight retrofit, ROUSH Axlebacks, JLT Oil Seperator,CDC Classic Chin
Airaid Race CAI: BAMA Tuned
Kona Blue Mustang Registry: #10
FIVEOHNATION: #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootna View Post
So down here they say " Dont mess with Texas " but you dont want to F@$# with California..LOL..
So_Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT convertible
austin.schroeger aschroeger shampue

Regarding pads. Hawk HPS.

They're amazing pads

Last edited by Shampue; 06-25-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Shampue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009, Ford, Mustang

If you don't want to overspend then just get OEM. The stopping power increase with slotted/cross-drilled isn't that much. Better pads would be more helpful than better rotors. Get some HPS pads or some other ferro-carbon pad to increase the bite.

14" Front/Rear Brakes, Koni STR.T, Eibach Sportline Springs, Steeda HD C/C mounts, Fays2 Watt's Link, UMI 1049 Front-end Links, Steeda Billet LCA-roto/urethane, BMR LCA Reloc. Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA, Steeda 3rd-link rotobush, SS Brake lines/DOT4, synthetic fluid swap, Stack Racing front strut brace, Roush CAI, Brenspeed 93oct tune street/track, Steeda Ultra-lite 18x9.5, Hawk HPS brake pads, A49 brake ducting
gmoran1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Mustang GT

I've got a set of 2011+ calipers, rotors, and pads (bigger than the 05-09s) with brand new front braided lines. They're take off with less than 20 miles. And some Hawk HPC pads. Pretty sure I've still got the speed bleeders too, brand new. Let it all go for $250 + shipping if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.
bigblue95z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT

I would get these rotors by Centric. I bought mine a Tirerack, but I can't get the link to work to the specific part. I paid about $75 per wheel for these rotors at Tirerack.

I really like the "Z Rated" Pads by Performance Friction (Compound No. 10).

I use them on the track and autocross as well as the street. Very wide temperature range. Not a lot of dust.

People have been moving away from the slotted and drilled rotors. The slotting and drilling makes the rotor weaker on street rotors. So there is a higher failure rate.

Last edited by JThor; 06-27-2014 at 12:52 AM.
JThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue95z View Post
I've got a set of 2011+ calipers, rotors, and pads (bigger than the 05-09s) with brand new front braided lines. They're take off with less than 20 miles. And some Hawk HPC pads. Pretty sure I've still got the speed bleeders too, brand new. Let it all go for $250 + shipping if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.

Crap. You would have a deal if this were two days ago. Thanks for the offer. That is a great deal.

I've ordered the take-offs from the Roush store along with a set of Centric posi-quite ceramics. Everything in all came out pretty cheap and I think it will all serve me pretty well. Thanks for the help everyone.
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
RCrumb

Vehicle: 2006, Mustang GT

I just put these on my 06 GT, Power Stop Street Warrior Brake Rotor & Ceramic Pad Kit - Front & Rear, kit from AM for $400. Includes disc and pads. Was the best deal around as far as I could tell, recognize I wanted some type of brand recognition versus no name. Install was 2 hrs, they work just fine. Better than OEM. Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 15 GT Premium, 01 Cobra & 09 Shelby GT500
CarbonDriven Carbon_Driven

Another one for R! Concepts! Plus right now I believe they have a 4th sale with 20% off and free shipping

2009 Shelby GT500 Vapor Metallic Silver w/Ebony Stripes, 20" Vertini Monaco's Rims, Falken 452's, Air Lift Performance Coil-Over Air Bags, Lots of carbon parts, Full MagnaFlow Exhaust, RR Billet 2.65 SC Pulley, 12# Boost, JLT CF CAI, Seq. taillights, 14" ant. (553hp/530tq)

2001 Cobra Vert #1439/3384 (316hp/310tq) COMPLETE Build

Cobra Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket254 View Post
Well, it's that time.

I've been shopping around for aftermarket rotors and pads for my 08 GT.
Centric rotors work just fine, up to and including intermediate-level open-tracking. Holes and slots won't stop you any faster once you've pushed your pads into "green fade", although slots will tend to reduce the amount of scoring in street-only driving. Holes are just places for cracks to start if you tend to use your brakes hard.

Pads - Hawk's HPS aren't bad as street-only pads go, but a little further up the food chain you'll find pads that bite much better. They'll dust more and aren't always quiet, but they'll stop you like nothing you've likely ever experienced before, in terms of stopping power vs pedal pressure. FWIW, up toward the upper end of streetability, Carbotech XP8's are clearly gentler on rotors than Hawk's HP+.

It's hard to put a price tag on the incident you avoid by choosing functional performance over all other considerations.

Norm

'95 626/V6/5MT (still in the family but not at this address)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement