Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
RenGen
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT
Default how to remove OEM gas cap cable?

I got a locking gas cap yesterday but I couldn't figure out how to get the little plastic cable attatched off so I ended up cutting it. but are you supposed to twist it out or does it just pull out? I pulled as hard as I could and it wouldn't come off and I didn't want to accidentally break my fuel door in the process, so I just cut it, but now the little part just hangs there.

this is what I'm talking about

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
RenGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
RenGen
1st Gear Member

Also, since I don't have a wire thing hanging anymore on my new gas cap, when I'm filling up should I just lay it down on the floor or on top of the pump? I don't want to just put it on the car in case the wind blows and scratches it. What do those of you with a fuel cap with no cable thing do?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
vixr
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenGen View Post
Also, since I don't have a wire thing hanging anymore on my new gas cap, when I'm filling up should I just lay it down on the floor or on top of the pump? I don't want to just put it on the car in case the wind blows and scratches it. What do those of you with a fuel cap with no cable thing do?
Back before the cap lanyard was around, I got in the habit of using the gas cap to hold the pump nozzle trigger open...that way you wont forget to put it back on. The cap wont be more than a few inches from the fill.

Eibach sportline kit, Boss 302 quad exhaust, BMR LCA, Boss 302 intake, BMR LCA re-locators, JLT carbon fiber CAI, BMR adj. panhard, FR 84.5 mm TB, Steeda adj. UCA, 302 strut brace, MM CC plates, Bama 93 octane race tune, RTR chin splitter, MMD louvers, Steeda functional spoiler
vixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

..that connector end snaps in place; you have to pull it out.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Black GT,08 Black GT500, 09 Metallic Silver V6 (wife's car)

I cut the DAMN IRRITATING thing off!!

There is NO problem that can't be solved by the simple application of more Horsepower!!
Lifter583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
RenGen
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter583 View Post
I cut the DAMN IRRITATING thing off!!
^ yeah, I pulled and pulled and even tried to stick a finger on other side to pop it, won't come out.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Art161
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

I would leave it alone, since you don't need to remove it for your new gas cap. I took a look at mine as best I could. Use a flashlight if necessary. It appears that the rubber piece behind the hole is an arrowhead design. That's why you haven't been able to pull it out. On top of that, it appears that the tip of the piece of rubber touches the metal cap on the far side, so it would be difficult to push it out.

If you just have to get it out, I think you're going to have to come up with a way to break the rubber piece apart, with the risk of damaging the paint. You could try to drill it out, use a ***** punch to break it up, slide a screwdriver with a small head and a long shaft in from the side and beat on it or think of some other way to physically destroy it.

As I said, I would leave it alone.
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

The more you know, the less you don't know.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement