Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 pack combo help

Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).
you have a good point on the tuner thanks i will be returning it but not the CAI or the pulley.

my car is basically stock just a cat back exhaust, i focus more on the appearance because i barely drive the car and i don't plan on racing or taking it to the track, but the occasional run in with other car is unavoidable so i want to be prepare and have these basic bolt on done. i was told it would "wake the car up" thanks again bro
Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

hey bro just a quick question since i decided to return the tuner and i kept the CAI and pulley can i just simply bring the car to the shop have them install the parts and have them tune my car? without buying a tuner? or do i still need to by the tuner and have the car dyno? i'm kinda of confuse here.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Most dyno shops tune with the SCT software hence the reason you need a sct device. No way do you install the cai and or the pulley without a proper tune. Do not go there. AM sells GT500 pulleys maybe just not the same one you already ordered. My post earlier was to say, buy all 3 items from AM, Brenspeed or VMP then you will get one of their custom tunes and their tunes are far superior than any tune from SCT itself. When you buy the SCT device from AM or Brenspeed the custom tunes on that device are free and you will get free tunes for life. IMO return everything from amazon and start over with one of the companies listed. As somebody who has a blown mustang with nearly every bolt on imaginable, a proper tune is everything. My car has 300+ passes at the drag strip and runs as good today as it did when fully stock. The tune is everything. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Most dyno shops tune with the SCT software hence the reason you need a sct device. No way do you install the cai and or the pulley without a proper tune. Do not go there. AM sells GT500 pulleys maybe just not the same one you already ordered. My post earlier was to say, buy all 3 items from AM, Brenspeed or VMP then you will get one of their custom tunes and their tunes are far superior than any tune from SCT itself. When you buy the SCT device from AM or Brenspeed the custom tunes on that device are free and you will get free tunes for life. IMO return everything from amazon and start over with one of the companies listed. As somebody who has a blown mustang with nearly every bolt on imaginable, a proper tune is everything. My car has 300+ passes at the drag strip and runs as good today as it did when fully stock. The tune is everything. Good luck with whatever you decide.
can i just order the tuner from AM? why do i need to return the same exact CAI and pulley that i bought from amazon and then order it from AM and pay more? i understand now about ordering the tuner from AM but i still don't get why i have to return the CAI and pulley?does the steeda CAI and pulley from amazon different from the one from AM? i'm if they are i am willing to return it but i need proof.

also i'm sorry but i'm a little confuse on the dyno part(never had a dyno or a tune done on any of my car)

bear with me on this one please this.
let say i manage to install the CAI and pulley by myself. can i simply plug the tuner that i bough from AM to my car and be done with it?
or do i still need to bring my car to a shop and have them dyno it? what does a dyno do? my understanding of a dyno is that it tells you the exact rwhp and torque of you're car and that's about it.

And my understanding of a hand held tuner is to make sure that all parts that i install would function correctly.

also i only use unleaded gas(91) on my car. no racing fuel.

i wish i can talk to some of you guys face to face so i can have a better understanding on some of the basic bolt on.

thanks for any help.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 PM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

I would just phone and buy the tuner from AM; and tell them what brand/part number CAI and S/C Pulley you will be using. They should be able to tell you if they can or can't write a program tune for you.

This is just a suggestion as I don't own a S/C stang and my xcal2 is of old tech and I don't know if CAI's are part of the adjustable programming you can do on the newer SCT's. If they give you 3 tune options, as mine did, I myself might try Performance 91 with CAI and Pulley; Performance 91 with CAI only; and Stock.
I went with a stock program on my 05 GT so I could us the stock programming if needed but still adjust for gear ratio's, etc.

Last edited by tw1234; 07-09-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
can i just order the tuner from AM? why do i need to return the same exact CAI and pulley that i bought from amazon and then order it from AM and pay more? i understand now about ordering the tuner from AM but i still don't get why i have to return the CAI and pulley?does the steeda CAI and pulley from amazon different from the one from AM? i'm if they are i am willing to return it but i need proof.

also i'm sorry but i'm a little confuse on the dyno part(never had a dyno or a tune done on any of my car)

bear with me on this one please this.
let say i manage to install the CAI and pulley by myself. can i simply plug the tuner that i bough from AM to my car and be done with it?
or do i still need to bring my car to a shop and have them dyno it? what does a dyno do? my understanding of a dyno is that it tells you the exact rwhp and torque of you're car and that's about it.

And my understanding of a hand held tuner is to make sure that all parts that i install would function correctly.

also i only use unleaded gas(91) on my car. no racing fuel.

i wish i can talk to some of you guys face to face so i can have a better understanding on some of the basic bolt on.

thanks for any help.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing any of the other parts from other retailers. Buying the tuner from AM is the best bet. You will receive a semi-customized tune based upon the parts you've purchased, then you simply plug it into the vehicle, sync it, and its done. Thats it until you decide you need to upgrade further, at which point you write AM and they will send you a new tune to meet the new requirements.