Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Default Oil filter tried to win....but I wouldnt quit!

I have used Napa Gold filters for years. The last two oil changes I have had issues getting the filter off. I always lube the gasket and just hand tighten them and then give a quarter turn more. Both times the oil filter wrench, the band kind just crushed the filter. It took me 30 minutes with oil dripping all over me, busted knuckles and way too much lost skin to finally get it off. I used a razor knife to break the seal between the filter and the motor.

Looks like it will be Wix from now on. What wrench are you guys using to remove your oil filters? Was wondering how this one measures up?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...FYhafgodCKsA7A
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140704_152543213_HDR.jpg (38.0 KB, 37 views)

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Zeus2006

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang

Yea, sometimes those filters don't want to come off. Especially if you paid a shop to do the last oil change.
I picked up a similiar style oil filter wrench to the one in the link you posted. Expect mine was local to me at a sears or ace hardware store and made by craftsman. I think it was $20, but I grew tired of dealing with the different size oil filters used on different cars, and having to carry multiple oil filter removal tools. Now, I am confident, no matter what car I but, the oil filter wrench will remove almost any oil filter from almost any car.

And I've already decided, if this wrench I have doesn't do the trick, I will just hammer a screw driver through the side of the oil filter and turn the screw driver untill the oil filter comes off. I almost did that on my last non-mustang car, but instead I went to the hardware store and picked up the wrench I have now. If this wrench doesn't work on a car/truck in the future, I'll just go caveman style. haha
Zeus2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

I had to use the hammer and screwdriver method once on my GTO... That makes your butthole pucker just a bit... I was fully expecting with my luck that I would shear off half the filter and be screwed.
sbradle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradle4 View Post
I had to use the hammer and screwdriver method once on my GTO... That makes your butthole pucker just a bit... I was fully expecting with my luck that I would shear off half the filter and be screwed.
I've done that a few times in the past!

I am sure it ws my fault for having tightened too far past gasket touch but sometimes 3/4 - 1 turn just doesn't feel like enough ...

tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

never had problems with any car or bike tbh...i only ever do mine as tight as i can with 2 hands..
i use a cheap chain type to remove mine..
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

I've never had a problem with the screw driver method when all else fails. I've never crushed a filter with a band clamp wrench either.

Wix makes napa gold filters by the way.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

Honestly I've never had a problem getting a filter off this car- I wrap it in a paper towel and I can get it off by hand most of the time.
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Edelbrock SDT AB, Steeda Tri-Ax, "P" springs Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/LED tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

It very well could of been my band clamp wrench. I put some pressure on that b#tch to get it off and she just crushed. I only hand tightened the new filter.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: early 2000, 1991, 2008

I just had to use the screwdriver method for the first time on my GT. Not sure what happened to the filter that it tightened itself up either. I have always used the motorcraft filters on all my ponies and this was the first issue Ive ever had.

1991 2.3L I4
1996 3.8L V6
2000 3.8L V6
2008 4.6L V8
PNYXPRESS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
Art161
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Sometimes the wrench may be slipping a bit. You can wrap some sandpaper around the filter, grit side towards the filter. Then put the wrench over the sandpaper.
Rear Spoiler Delete
Interior Sport Appearance Package
MGW EJECT Power Point Plug

The more you know, the less you don't know.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement