Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help lowering 2012 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
mwill00

Default Need help lowering 2012 mustang gt

I am doing a spring swap on my 2012 mustang gt. The car only has 4,500 miles so I am going to do a strut/shock swap later on after I really research which would be best for my preference. I ordered some springs off of AM that are arriving today and I am going to be installing the springs, camber bolts, & adjustable pan hard bar. I was hoping that someone who is very knowledgeable in this area would be able to give me some tips or pointers. Even the bolt sizes or any way of doing something easier would be great as well. I have never done springs on the back before, I have done my fair share of struts and shocks but not rear springs or using a spring compressor from a auto parts store. I have only used a big table top one that holds the strut for you and everything. thanks in advanced.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tech-info.html

Taco Bii has some stickys at the top of this forum that has lots of info!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 PM
mwill00

Thank you so much!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I put Koni's Yellow's and Steeda springs and HD mounts on mine! If you have done springs and struts the rears should be no problem! It was my first time and the rears were easy but It took me way to long for the front, but I got through it! The local O'Reillys auto parts loaned me a spring compressor (pay a deposit and get it all back when returned)! I think printed off Taco Bills instructions and that's what I went by! When you get it done post how it went here!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mwill00
I am doing a spring swap on my 2012 mustang gt. The car only has 4,500 miles so I am going to do a strut/shock swap later on after I really research which would be best for my preference. I ordered some springs off of AM that are arriving today and I am going to be installing the springs, camber bolts, & adjustable pan hard bar. I was hoping that someone who is very knowledgeable in this area would be able to give me some tips or pointers. Even the bolt sizes or any way of doing something easier would be great as well. I have never done springs on the back before, I have done my fair share of struts and shocks but not rear springs or using a spring compressor from a auto parts store. I have only used a big table top one that holds the strut for you and everything. thanks in advanced.
I just installed springs, shocks, struts on my 2012 GT. It is not hard at all. My best piece of advice is have an air impact wrench to use, as well as a 1/2" torque wrench. The impact wrench saved so much energy and time.

I also would hold off on installing the camber bolts. They are not optimal. Save up for C/C plates. What springs did you get? Most springs can be aligned back to spec without the use of camber bolts or C/C plates.

Rear springs are easy. Remove the brake line bolt on the frame, remove lower shock mount bolts, sway bar end links, and panhard bar. The axle can then be dropped so that the springs are free. Replace the springs and reverse the steps.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

If you get the GT500 strut mounts to replace your stock ones (they are WAY Beefier than the stocks), you can mount theme 180 degrees out and there will be no need for the weaker camber bolts.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM
mwill00

ok so I went with the same set up a distant friend has and we went with the eibach pro kit with dampers and I actually am glad I went with the 1.3 in from and 1.5 in rear as I have 20" rims and if the front was any lower I believe it might rub or look trashy. I wouldnt of minded if the rear was about an 1/2 lower but I really like the look. My only problem is I might be hearing a slight noise. I do not think it is from the mounts as I dont hear a popping sound, its almost like a "wimping dog" sound. Any suggestions?