Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno tune vs hand held tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:21 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Going the route of installing without the tune is ill-advised!

Those parts are tune required!

Yes, you will have issues. You can definitely expect a few CELs. MAF sensor will be first, then you can expect misfire codes from the pulley/increased boost. Don't go there!

Just have a shop install the parts or have a friend help you. Then, load the tune, start the car and be done! Do it right the first time.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Are you ordering a tuner/CAI combo from AM?

Depending on which CAI you select (most require a custom tune), however there are a few CAI's (Airaid) that do NOT require a tune. The HP is minimal without a custom tune, so I highly recommend a custom tune with any CAI. Just my 2 cents.

As Johnny mentioned above, you will experience CEL errors, which can lead to misfiring and codes to arise. Do it the right way to eliminate future issues and headaches.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Are you ordering a tuner/CAI combo from AM?

Depending on which CAI you select (most require a custom tune), however there are a few CAI's (Airaid) that do NOT require a tune. The HP is minimal without a custom tune, so I highly recommend a custom tune with any CAI. Just my 2 cents.

As Johnny mentioned above, you will experience CEL errors, which can lead to misfiring and codes to arise. Do it the right way to eliminate future issues and headaches.
He has the Steeda CAI and 2.65 S/C Pulley. Both are tune required parts considering the pulley is stated to add 3psi of boost.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Wink

Originally Posted by johnny_raincloud
He has the Steeda CAI and 2.65 S/C Pulley. Both are tune required parts considering the pulley is stated to add 3psi of boost.
Ahhhhhh, a custom tune is definitely required.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Come on man a tune is required. Don't be cheap
Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by outceltj
Come on man a tune is required. Don't be cheap
A tune will be cheaper than a new engine - putting more boost to it without tuning for it is asking to see if the pistons can have an encounter with a valve, or putting a nice window in the block so you can see how much clearance there is.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:38 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

You guys lol I never said I was going to do it. I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Now if I was able to install everything and tune it would it still be smog legal?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

No one knows if my car will pass smog with the cai and pulley installed?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Does the Steeda CAI have a CARB EO #? If not, your car will fail the visual inspection with it. Chances are that the pulley is not approved, but it's more likely to slip through the visual inspection. As long as you get an emissions tune that has the rear O2 sensors on, you should pass the OBD portion of the test and there should be no problems with the actual emissions readings.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Does the Steeda CAI have a CARB EO #? If not, your car will fail the visual inspection with it. Chances are that the pulley is not approved, but it's more likely to slip through the visual inspection. As long as you get an emissions tune that has the rear O2 sensors on, you should pass the OBD portion of the test and there should be no problems with the actual emissions readings.
Ahh I see im not sure about the carb eo #. My main concern is the pulley. Because I can always switch the cai with the stock one.

Once I change back to my stock can I simply use my tuner so that it will read that I have my stock intake back on but not change anything with the pulley.

I really dont want to unstall and install the pulley because it would cost me money.

Thanks

Quick Reply: dyno tune vs hand held tune