Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a moon size pothole

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Default Hit a moon size pothole

Well maybe i exaggerated alittle bit. Lately it has been raining everyday for the past 2 weeks here in Florida. I have noticed alot of new potholes popping up everywhere during my daily commute. Last night unfortunately on my way home from gym i hit a pretty decent size one going 55mph.

Damn thing was alittle more than a foot in diameter and deep as a cooking pot. My passenger side took the hit, i had music blasting at the moment and could still hear the impact. Inspected the tires,wheel, underbody for any sign of damage but none i could see. Recheck everything again this morning but nothing. I thought i got lucky again like couple montha ago but for some reason when im driving i feel a tiny vibration on steering wheel. The vibration is so little almost seems non problematic but at the same time i could feel it. Dont remenber if it was there before or not.

Any ideas before i take it to a shop?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Bent wheel, cracked wheel, lost balance weight, damaged tire just to start with.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

wheel looks fine didnt find anything inner or outer part. Tires hold up air fine and no sign of damage. As for the weights they are still intacted. Im confused from what im reading it says for steerig vibration is mostly wheel/tire related, noise or pull its more suspension related.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

get the wheels balanced and you may have knocked it out of alignment so have that checked too.

If there is an issue, the tech that performs the alignment SHOULD notice it.
Good luck.

I hit a pice of pipe in on the freeway a few weeks back, i wasn't able to swerve. i thought i was okay and 2 seconds later my tire pressure light came on. i pulled over and sure enough, i had a 10 inch slice in my tire. I have no spare because i have the brembo package so i had to get towed to the steeler. $350 later for 1 tire and i was on my way...
Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
Well maybe i exaggerated alittle bit. Lately it has been raining everyday for the past 2 weeks here in Florida. I have noticed alot of new potholes popping up everywhere during my daily commute. Last night unfortunately on my way home from gym i hit a pretty decent size one going 55mph.

Damn thing was alittle more than a foot in diameter and deep as a cooking pot. My passenger side took the hit, i had music blasting at the moment and could still hear the impact. Inspected the tires,wheel, underbody for any sign of damage but none i could see. Recheck everything again this morning but nothing. I thought i got lucky again like couple montha ago but for some reason when im driving i feel a tiny vibration on steering wheel. The vibration is so little almost seems non problematic but at the same time i could feel it. Dont remenber if it was there before or not.

Any ideas before i take it to a shop?
Am I the only one that thinks the city should cover the damages? I've been through this myself, as I live in Atlanta, and many of our roads are horrible. Probably due to the fact that 2 mayors in a row were stealing from the transportation fund.

I feel like if you can prove the pothole and the damage, the city should have to cover the wheel and alignment damage. Those repairs aren't cheap.

I feel your pain.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:21 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

I hear you man, it also made me think about owning a nice or heavy modded car. lol it might have something to do with seeing 2 corvette c7 today. Having something that nice and expensive you really have to be extra cautious going out. Things like pothole are inevitable and so is scratch or dent from idiots that parked next to you. All these small things cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

I planned to get a corvette in the future, maybe a c9 or c10 lol. Im already paranoid taking my gt out, i wonder how i would be with my c7 lol
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

It blows my mind that I pay close to $900 every year for mine and my wife's plates (multiply that by all the drivers in the state), in Indiana, and we still have roads with huge potholes in them from last winter. Usually they do a temporary patch on those which just pops out with the next rainfall. The good news is I can go to the DMV and choose from over 100 license plate designs.... Talk about misappropriated money. I miss living in IL where the roads were taken care of and plates were less than $100 a year no matter what car you have....
Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

So i stop by a repair shop this morning before work. Tech found front passenger wheel slightly bent on the balance machine and told me it would cost $200 with labor. Damn pothole, could of use that money to upgrade my strut or shock. Im glade i signed up for 3 year alignment with tire kingdom(only 1 store i trust within 50 miles), at least saved some cash with that.