Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang V6 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Anyone good with tires and sizes?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Question Anyone good with tires and sizes?

Sup guys...
I'm looking for some info on some new tires and the only thing I can find for my '14 Gt500 is stock size tires and the crappy thing is according to tire rack and discount tires there is only one brand of tire.... Michelin... and I think they are f-ugly.
Right not the stock sizes are 265/40-19 front and 285/35-20 on the rear. So does anyone know if I might be able to change/alter the tire sizes a little to find something with maybe a few more options other than the stock size tires while keeping the same rims?
I need some good all season tires since I live in Utah and I'm not really sure how to alter the sizes and fitments. If anyone has any ideas I could use all the help I can get.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

whats the rim widths?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You can use any of the online tire size calculators; plug in the OE tire size and another size you want to consider and it'll tell you the error you may expect based on the dimsensional differences. Also be aware that changing tire O.D. from the stock size will also affect your overall drive ratio.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
whats the rim widths?
Front 19x9.5
Rear 20x9.5
Old 07-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you're keeping the OE wheels.

Those 9.5" wide rear wheels are going to limit your choice of rear tires to nothing wider than 285. Since you appear to place a lot of emphasis on appearance, 285 max on the rear will probably eliminate some front tire size choices.

I wouldn't obsess over the effect that small differences in tire diameter have on speedometer accuracy. Half an inch diameter difference is less than 2% error, which is less than 1.5 mph @ 75. But you do need to keep your front and rear tire diameters pretty close to the same diameter ratio as your OE front and rear tires. This is to keep the ABS (and by implication AdvanceTrac) happy.

I do have to ask - what's so "ugly" about the Michelins? Other than price, which you'll find applies to most any tires in your sizes that have any business being on a car with that kind of performance potential.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

You could possibly go with 295/35/20 rear i think it would work but thats a bit big for the rim, i think it would be fine. 285 40 19 is the biggest id go on the front on these cars.

275/40/19 front is what im running (on 19x9's) and i like the fit.

You could always widen or get 2 new rims for the rear to like 10.5 or 11 if you want to go bigger but

275/40/19 will be great in the front with that rim size.

Last edited by Andy13186; 07-19-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

It's easy to make a guess at the ride height of the tire sidewall....

The section width and the Aspect ratios are the two numbers to be concerned with.

Using Andy's example of ...

295/35/20 for your rears...

that 295 is giving you the width in metric so convert it to SAE

295 divided by 25.4 = 11.62 inches wide.

That 35 is telling you that the sidewall will be 35% of the section width on a 9.5 inch standard width wheel.

So 11.62 x .35 = 4.0 inches high on a 20 inch wheel that is 9.5 inches wide.

If you go with wider Wheels then you can lower the sidewall height by 1/5th for every 1/2 inch in width.

So a 10inch wide wheel will result in a 3.8 inch high sidewall, and 11 inch wide wheel gets a 3.4 inch height and a 12 inch wide wheel will result in a 3 inch high sidewall.

Using these calculations will help you to estimate the rake angle to expect with the sizes you choose for the front and rear tires and to calculate the final drive ratios in relation to your gears and tranny ratios. It will also keep you with tires back and front that look equivalent in the sidewall heights.

Keeping this in mind those 275's that Andy gave...will result in a 4.33 inch sidewall height on the front wheels which will raise up the front ever so slightly in relation to the rear, but with a whole inch more in the rear diameter it won't be noticed as long as the wheel widths are the same.

Tires are THE MOST IMPORTANT performance upgrade on your vehicle...bar none. So get this right. Otherwise your high HP and Gobs of torque will leave your tires spinning instead of sticking when you launch or... slipping instead of gripping into an apex.

Just saying
---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 07-19-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I do have to ask - what's so "ugly" about the Michelins?

Norm

Same thought here. Tires aren't pretty. What exactly are you expecting them to look like?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
It's easy to make a guess at the ride height of the tire sidewall....

The section width and the Aspect ratios are the two numbers to be concerned with.

Using Andy's example of ...

295/35/20 for your rears...

that 295 is giving you the width in metric so convert it to SAE

295 divided by 25.4 = 11.62 inches wide.

That 35 is telling you that the sidewall will be 35% of the section width on a 9.5 inch standard width wheel.

So 11.62 x .35 = 4.0 inches high on a 20 inch wheel that is 9.5 inches wide.

If you go with wider Wheels then you can lower the sidewall height by 1/5th for every 1/2 inch in width.

So a 10inch wide wheel will result in a 3.8 inch high sidewall, and 11 inch wide wheel gets a 3.4 inch height and a 12 inch wide wheel will result in a 3 inch high sidewall.

Using these calculations will help you to estimate the rake angle to expect with the sizes you choose for the front and rear tires and to calculate the final drive ratios in relation to your gears and tranny ratios. It will also keep you with tires back and front that look equivalent in the sidewall heights.

Keeping this in mind those 275's that Andy gave...will result in a 4.33 inch sidewall height on the front wheels which will raise up the front ever so slightly in relation to the rear, but with a whole inch more in the rear diameter it won't be noticed as long as the wheel widths are the same.

Tires are THE MOST IMPORTANT performance upgrade on your vehicle...bar none. So get this right. Otherwise your high HP and Gobs of torque will leave your tires spinning instead of sticking when you launch or... slipping instead of gripping into an apex.

Just saying
---
Thanks for all that info Someone needs to make this stuff a little easier. I just don't understand why there are only 2 sets of tires for this rim size on the planet? The summer only Goodyear's and the Michelin. :/

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Same thought here. Tires aren't pretty. What exactly are you expecting them to look like?
If you don't think tires are pretty... I feel bad for you. Everything on my car including the tires is pretty. On my 09 Shelby I had a set of Nitto's that where pretty damn sexy... and they don't make them in my new rim size
Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04stangman
Thanks for all that info Someone needs to make this stuff a little easier.
Go to the Tire Rack website and look up your tires my mfr and model. From there, look at the "Specs" tab and down to your size.

If your tire mfr or model isn't there, you can search by tire size, pick any model that 'hits', and look at that "Specs" page.

A few other mail order tire sites have similar tables, though I've found that navigating to the tables themselves isn't quite as user-friendly.

If you're looking specifically for Nittos, some of the same information can be found on Nitto's own site.

Norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone good with tires and sizes?