Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang V6 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Anyone good with tires and sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=04stangman;8410272]Thanks for all that info Someone needs to make this stuff a little easier. I just don't understand why there are only 2 sets of tires for this rim size on the planet? The summer only Goodyear's and the Michelin. :/

Well aren't yours staggered diameters? 19" front and 20" rears?

Cooper aka Mickey Thompson makes tires for these rim sizes(used by Roush and SALEEN). So does Falken, BFG and Pirelli. I've even seen them from Yokohama and Hankook tires that come in these diameter size with appropriate sidewall heights. Then there's always Nitto. With a little research you'll likely find tons more.

boom
---
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Go to the Tire Rack website and look up your tires my mfr and model. From there, look at the "Specs" tab and down to your size.

If your tire mfr or model isn't there, you can search by tire size, pick any model that 'hits', and look at that "Specs" page.

A few other mail order tire sites have similar tables, though I've found that navigating to the tables themselves isn't quite as user-friendly.

If you're looking specifically for Nittos, some of the same information can be found on Nitto's own site.

Norm
The thing with tire rack is they don't list all the tire size options available for every tire manufacturer they represent. The only way you're going to find out if a manufacturer really does make the size you want is to go directly to their website and look for the sizes there. Often what they list can be purchased from a tire dealer in your area. Tire rack is great for online ordering but they don't special order sizes they don't list. And they only list the products they deal with. For example...Cooper's Zenon RS3-A all-season performance tires are not on their list of choices, yet this is the 4th largest tire manufacturer world wide. I don't think they list Falken Tires either and that's another well engineered performance tire that fits our Mustangs.

And they don't carry many other top notch manufacturers so you would limit your palette of choices to just what they offer. It may be a good selection, but its not all thats out there.

However, they are good for some basic research on tires and fitment. And if the palette they offer suits your needs, then they can be a one stop shop. Unless you're a bit more fickle.

Just saying.
---

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 07-20-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:32 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

That is the one downside to the new GT500's. Those 9.5 wide wheels suck. Time for a Forgestar upgrade.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04stangman

If you don't think tires are pretty... I feel bad for you. Everything on my car including the tires is pretty. On my 09 Shelby I had a set of Nitto's that where pretty damn sexy... and they don't make them in my new rim size
Nope, never once has I looked at any of my cars and said "those are some sexy f***ing tires right there!"
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Well....I don't think the tires are the sexy part of the look...That is the job of the wheels. The tires however can look all business. Like they're seriously sticky and aggressive. And that's the icing on the intimidation factor.

Boom
---
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
The thing with tire rack is they don't list all the tire size options available for every tire manufacturer they represent.
---
I know. But for purposes of comparing dimensions for any given tire size it doesn't make any difference whose 285/35 -20 or 265/40-19 or whatever other sizes you want, regardless of who makes them.

For final choices, of course you might have to look elsewhere. But even if you don't buy from TR, the information there is the easiest to get at, so you'd be able to go into your actual purchase knowing that much within small fractions of an inch or a handful of revolutions per mile.

I'll bet you haven't heard much about Cooper tires because until recently they didn't have even any halfway-serious performance offerings. Touring tires, like what you'd put on a minivan or a nothing-special sedan or commuter-car . . . sure.

Found this, dated a couple of years ago (Motor Trend). Boldface mine.

Originally Posted by MT
Naturally, the comparison was designed to showcase the superiority of Cooper's tire. While the BFGoodrich [edit - BFGoodrich g-Force Sport-COMP 2] is by no means a bad tire, I'm still curious how the RS3-S stacks up against the best from Goodyear, Pirelli and especially Michelin, whose Pilot Sport 2 is considered even by some Cooper techs to be the benchmark performance tire. Of course, to be fair, everyone does this. BFGoodrich claims on their website that their tire out-accelerates, out-corners and out-brakes the competition, but they're not benchmarking Michelins, either. The fine print says Yokohama, Kuhmo and Dunlop
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...#ixzz383j7EGj5

FWIW, I've driven on the immediate predecessor to the BFG Sport Comp 2's, and I can describe them as having decent but not spectacular grip in a straight line, ditto during cornering, but they are poor when it comes to accelerating out of a corner.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-20-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Norm, I understand. Tire Rack is actually an excellent research resource for tires in general.

Cooper tires is also Mickey Thompson now BTW. The RS3-S is the same tire as the MT street comp.

Reviewed here
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/wh...comp-uhp-tire/

And here....

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...p-street-tire/

And as the cooper nameplate also slapped on the Roush team specialy builds....

It's reviewed as a street tire alternative to OEM equipped Michelin PS2's here...

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...3-s-and-rs3-a/

This is not to say these are the next thing since sliced cheese.... But they are a relevant option today. And have been compared to the PS2 standards they set out to compete with.

I've been on BFG's, PS2's, Yoko's, Kook's and Now MT's and Coopers as summer shoes.

I just prefer the Cooper/MT's.

but they are not the only options out there.

They are however a relevant and affordable performance option for our vehicles. Oh and the Mickey Thompson splash on the sidewall is kinda .....Sexy. ;-)

just saying

----

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 07-21-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I ran a set of coopers perf tires on my sixxer and did not like them at all. the side wall so soft and flimsy the car felt like it was going to spin out all the time.

Maybe they have changed that as its been awhile since I had them on a car.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I ran a set of coopers perf tires on my sixxer and did not like them at all. the side wall so soft and flimsy the car felt like it was going to spin out all the time.

Maybe they have changed that as its been awhile since I had them on a car.
They must be far stiffer now on the Zeon RS3's and their twin the MT's. Not sure what you were on.... ???? Roush seems to prefer them and I can't blame them.... since I'm very happy with them.

My BFG's would constantly break loose...like always even on my SRT4. The PS2's would feel like they were about to give on the turns if they didn't just give and they broke loose easier on both the Stang and the SRT. Hankooks were just freakin noisy and sucked major ballz in the rain. Yoko's were likely for the drifting ricer crowd...they were always spinning even if you sprayed them with a fixative.....they were cheap though.

These Cooper/MT's.... stick and pull. Just the way I like it. And if what Cooper claims is correct the engineering they put into the manufacture process also results in a lower un-sprung weight on the vehicle. Maybe why Roush prefers them...if it give them an advantage then....why not.

Just saying
---
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Maybe it was an old design. The only had a single ply nylon sidewall. The grip was awesome but under hard cornering the sidewall would flex.

I now run falken tires which has a 2 ply polyester sidewall which gives them a more consistant feel thru the corners.

Quick Reply: Anyone good with tires and sizes?