Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Shop guys...get in here please

Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Default Body Shop guys...get in here please

I was going to see my girlfriend.... and a guy in a silver turbo vw bug threw his door open....clips me..

And well now..I've on the verge of tears (not literally)...just really bummed...... my poor baby :'(

So...what do you all think the insurance will do? New bumper or get it fixed? Is there a light at the end of this dark tunnel (gt500 bumper upgrade perhaps)?
Need new rim?
How much do you think the insurance will cover and how much do you think the repair itself will be ?

The story is long...basically the dude tried to leave the scene and refused to give me his insurance and registration info... so I had to get the police involved... I think he just wanted to dip out and get a new door for a few hundred bucks or so and leave me to deal with my damage...

If you need better pictures I can run outside and snag a few more.

Thank you for your help.

His car...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Does the guy actually have insurance?

Have your insurance contact his insurance, do NOT deal directly with his insurance. You will also want a diminished value claim against his insurance for your car. In addition to the repairs they are obligated to fix, they will also cut a check for the amount of potential resale value lost from the damage.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Originally Posted by Derf00
Does the guy actually have insurance?

Have your insurance contact his insurance, do NOT deal directly with his insurance. You will also want a diminished value claim against his insurance for your car. In addition to the repairs they are obligated to fix, they will also cut a check for the amount of potential resale value lost from the damage.

Got off the phone with my insurance a little bit ago. He has Geico. If I hadn't called the police I don't think I would have actually been able to get my car fixed...would of been like a hit and run?

I will let my insurance deal with it. Could you please explain more about this diminished value to me please?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Yeesh, this really sucks. I feel for you.

The rear quarter panel can be pretty expensive to repair since it's part of the chassis and isn't simply swap-ready like bumpers, fenders, and such. You're probably looking at upwards of $1500-2000 at least. If you get stuck with the bill (i.e. found at fault) I'd use the deductible money to buy yourself a GT/CS rear bumper, hopefully you already have dualies, then let the body shop do the rest.

Last edited by SPARTAN VI; 07-24-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
Yeesh, this really sucks. I feel for you.

The rear quarter panel can be pretty expensive to repair since it's part of the chassis and isn't simply swap-ready like bumpers, fenders, and such. You're probably looking at upwards of $1500-2000 at least. If you get stuck with the bill (i.e. found at fault) I'd use the deductible money to buy yourself a GT/CS rear bumper, hopefully you already have dualies, then let the body shop do the rest.

Yeah I do have duals...just not sure if they will fit the GT/CS bumper? They are FR500s mufflers...

The Deputy said there was no way I was at fault based on the damaged area...where the guy was initially parked (in front of a fire hydrant) and the fact that I had the right away anyways.

There is no way this much damage could total the car...right? Last I checked... cars similar to mine..with less miles are going for about 7.5k :/
Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The easiest way is tell YOUR insurance company you want to file a diminished value claim against the other guys insurance.

In a nut shell, even after your car gets fixed, it will be worth less than a similar car without the repair history. How much? Depends on numerous factors including type/age of the car, type/cost of repair, mileage etc. A diminished value claim/payment means the other guys insurance not only fixes the car but also pays you for that calculated lost value of what the car is now worth after being fixed.

Say your car was worth 10K before the accident but is now only worth 9K because of the repairs. The Other guys insurance would pay you about 1K in diminished value in addition to getting your car fixed.

More than you would care to know about diminished value claims:
http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...surance-claim/

http://kielichlawfirm.com/insurance-...-value-claims/
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Originally Posted by Derf00
The easiest way is tell YOUR insurance company you want to file a diminished value claim against the other guys insurance.

In a nut shell, even after your car gets fixed, it will be worth less than a similar car without the repair history. How much? Depends on numerous factors including type/age of the car, type/cost of repair, mileage etc. A diminished value claim/payment means the other guys insurance not only fixes the car but also pays you for that calculated lost value of what the car is now worth after being fixed.

Say your car was worth 10K before the accident but is now only worth 9K because of the repairs. The Other guys insurance would pay you about 1K in diminished value in addition to getting your car fixed.

More than you would care to know about diminished value claims:
http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...surance-claim/

http://kielichlawfirm.com/insurance-...-value-claims/

Thank you very much!!

I will be calling my insurance right now.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:15 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Well your bumper is not hurt besides the paint so they won't write for a new one on this one.
Same with your quarter panel, it's not push in enough or structurally damage enough (judging by your pics) to get a new skin panel warranted.

Good advise from Derf00... get some funds for depreciation.
People always get screwed on this one cause they don't know about it and the Ins. Cie sure ain't gonna let you know about it.
Good luck with the repairs...
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Brandonscarinfo

Originally Posted by pascal
Well your bumper is not hurt besides the paint so they won't write for a new one on this one.
Same with your quarter panel, it's not push in enough or structurally damage enough (judging by your pics) to get a new skin panel warranted.

Good advise from Derf00... get some funds for depreciation.
People always get screwed on this one cause they don't know about it and the Ins. Cie sure ain't gonna let you know about it.
Good luck with the repairs...
Here are some more pics. They dont exactly do the damage justice...

Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

That's not a salvage title....you'll be fine. With a good shop you won't even know it happened!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Shop guys...get in here please