Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with the cold air intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

The reason some CAI's require a tune is because they use the same MAF sensor in a larger diameter intake tube coming from the filter. This will change how the MAF sensor works. With the same CFM of air running through the intake, a larger diameter tube will meter lower on the MAF compared to a smaller one and the ECM will lean out the fuel trim. Thus the reason the intakes require a tune. A larger diameter intake tube is going to be less restrictive and can increase horsepower. I popped on my Roush CAI and even without a tune you could tell there was a difference, the throttle response was better and the sound was deeper. I am not saying you get more horsepower, because as far as I can tell you can tune the car to get just as much HP from the stock airbox that you can from the CAI, but to me the CAI has better throttle response and gives the stock exhaust a better note.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 07-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
no. just pop open the stock airbox every once in a while and make sure there aren't any leaves or stuff in there. My car manages to suck up an impressive number in a relatively short time.
Stop driving through the woods and parking under trees. lol
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dseg
Thanks for the replies.
I guess those fancy "cold air intakes" are for the kids that want that cool look under the cool. Not sure how people do not realize these $400+ air filters are pulling air from the engine compartment...

I was looking at the seal that I heard some people mention. The air box and hood definitely do not form a seal to keep the hot engine air out. Just by looking at my '14 GT, there is no way... It would also defeat the purpose of having that massive air intake if the air is still only be sucked from the front slot.

So I do still need to replacement air filter, are these any good? K&N Link
It does not defeat the purpose of the air intake. On my 2007 it also draws air from the wheel well, I don't know if it's the same for yours. An air intake without the tune IS pretty much pointless. An air intake in combination with a tune is a proven gain (mostly from the tune), but as was also explained, a larger diameter intake also draws more air for the tuned engine to utilize.

From what I understand the intake on the 5.0 does a fine job by itself, but you still can't dismiss the gains of a larger diameter intake and a good tune as a "cool look".

Just get the regular replacement filter if you're not going to swap to a CAI.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

please not K&N...
Wix or motorcraft if you want to replace it.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

On my 2014 I can see what the air temp is coming in on my digital dash. When the car's idle, IE sitting at a traffic light, the air temp rises which would be expected. While driving the air temp coming in is identical to what my car says the outside air temp is. Which again, is logical. Other than driving around with bags of ice inside my CAI, I don't know how else to lower that incoming temp.

FWIW, I have the Airaid RACE CAI for my 5.0
Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 AM
dseg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by krazykevin
please not K&N...
Wix or motorcraft if you want to replace it.
What's wrong with the k&n replacement filter?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dseg
What's wrong with the k&n replacement filter?
Many here have found that the charging oil can gum up with throttle body - especially if you use too much oil (which I always seem to have done on my past vehicles)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
On my 2014 I can see what the air temp is coming in on my digital dash. When the car's idle, IE sitting at a traffic light, the air temp rises which would be expected. While driving the air temp coming in is identical to what my car says the outside air temp is. Which again, is logical. Other than driving around with bags of ice inside my CAI, I don't know how else to lower that incoming temp.

FWIW, I have the Airaid RACE CAI for my 5.0
This has been my experience with the whipple CAI and it just has a metal shroud around it, not really blocking any heat from the motor.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

For those saying intakes are useless without a tune, or they don't feel intakes make much power or that it's not worth it. Here's AFE's dyno, please note it's on a Mustang Dyno so numbers look lower here than on a dynojet for example. But even still at 4700RPM we get a delta of 25.3HP and at 4775RPM we see a delta of 29.1ft/lbs at the WHEELS. Mind you the delta isn't the PEAK gain, but it's USABLE mid-range power that you use on a daily basis since we don't all redline every single gear while driving of course. Here's proof:

No tune, just before/after with an intake for a Mustang that already had an axle back exhaust and nothing else.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

If you are driving it doesn't really matter where it pulls from. The air going into the intake will be the same temperature as it is outside, within a degree or 2. Check out you IAT sensor to confirm this.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the cold air intakes?