Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to be tuned?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
JTG2695

Cool What needs to be tuned?

Hello new to the forums here, hoping to get a lot of helpful info when working on my 2013 V6. I plan on getting myself a CAI, torn between Airaid/Steeda/BBK, are they all mostly the same after a tune? And after I wanted to add long tube headers and an exhaust, maybe an x pipe. I was wondering if it would be better to save me money to tune it all at once when i have everything on or should I tune individually? Or is it only a CAI that requires a tune? And if possible how much HP would I be looking at after all the mods?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:43 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Non-tune intakes usually all net around the same gains before and after a tune. They also have intakes that require a tune which you will get a little more power than a non-tune. Do some research. I have a AirAid on my 3.7 and I love it! This is drivers preference so again, do a bit of research. As for the tuner, I ended up purchasing the Bama X4 from American Muscle. The great thing about Bama is their free tunes for life program which you automatically get enrolled to when you purchase. So, if you purchase an intake and then the tuner and tune it..and later on down the road you decide to get exhaust, you can give them a call and they'll have you refill out the form again and retune your vehicle for you for the new mods you put on. Check on AMs website. Again, this is going to require you to do a bit of research. Just my recommendations. Also, everyones vehicles are going to act differently when responding to mods so HP numbers are hard to tell. A dyno run will tell you exactly. All I can say is a tune would net you the most gains for each and any mod you do.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:04 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Really don't "have" to tune for anything from the exhaust on out...
Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I would recommend the Airaid CAI with custom tunes from Brenspeed or American Muscle. A stand alone CAI won't net you much HP. The custom tune is where the most performance gain is from. =)

Also, Airaid is the same company that makes the Roush CAI.

I have the Airaid and have driven with and without custom tunes and never experienced any issues.

FYI, I've read several people that have or had issues with the BBK CAI.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-05-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:51 PM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

welcome JTG2695
Airaid & bbk do not need a tune, steeda & long tube headers do need a tune.
I have airaid and love it, but if I had steeda or bbk I would love them as well.
If you can get the tune & cai together, you will save some $.
My bduget was one peice at a time.
oh 50 post gets a discount @ american muscle
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

CAI & tune combo's gain roughly 3-5 times the power of a stand-alone CAI. And you'll likely need a tune for the LT's to turn of the O2 sensors. AM/BAMA offers tunes for life no matter where you buy the parts that require a retune whereas Brenspeed will retune for free if you buy the parts that drive a retune from them. At least, those were the cases the last time I checked.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You will be very pleased with the Steeda CAI & Tune. We also offer free tunes for life.

The Steeda CAI & tune has seen gains of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque with a 93 octane tune.

You can check out more on our CAI here - http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

Let me know if I can help answer any questions or if I can help provide a price for the combo. You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorry, tj. I completely forgot about you guyz.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Save yourself the money and skip the CAI. It is just wasted money. Get the tuner - that's what is making the difference not the so-called "cold" air intake. Most of them are NOT cold air intakes.

You have a v6...not a supercharged v8.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
CAI & tune combo's gain roughly 3-5 times the power of a stand-alone CAI. And you'll likely need a tune for the LT's to turn of the O2 sensors. AM/BAMA offers tunes for life no matter where you buy the parts that require a retune whereas Brenspeed will retune for free if you buy the parts that drive a retune from them. At least, those were the cases the last time I checked.
Why would you want to turn off o2 sensors with LTs? Won't able to pass the "Readiness" test with emissions, if applicable, if you did that...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What needs to be tuned?