Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Wheel and tire storage

Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Chrome Wheel and tire storage

Hey Guys,

I just replaced my wheels and tires and am keeping my old ones for winter driving. My question is to ask if there are any issues with storing tires and wheels in black garbage bags and then leaving them in an unventilated one-car garage? The garage is half under ground and it smells musky in the summer.

I will have gun metal wheels stored in the summer and chrome wheels in the winter. Any thoughts or advice?

Background on the garage...
I store my corvette in the garage. I put boxes down and it seems to take care of any moisture that came up through the concrete, but you can smell some of the moisture in the air. I open the garage to let it air out every so often. Nothing appears damp or wet. I have carpets hanging on the walls to prevent door dings and scratches from the concrete walls and they seem uneffected.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i wouldn't put them in any plastic myself.
i store my wheels from our normal car just on their sides..never had a problem..
how about spray the chrome with some oil and some tyre foam on the tyres?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I too wouldn't store the wheels in plastic bags. The bags will trap moistures and hold it on the wheels. When I eventually end up in your situation, I plan on just carefully stacking my wheels and blowing the dust off of them occasionally.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I just stack them. Never worried about dust, as any that collects will get washed off after they go on the car and I get around to it.

I'm also apt to throw a cardboard or a board over the top tire in a stack for use as a light-duty shelf (space is really tight in my garage, just ignore the mess).

In the picture below, the cardboards between the tires in the left stack is to keep the wheel rims from actually touching each other. Ford's 235/50's on 18 x 8.5 and 255/45's on 18 x 9.5 can permit this to happen, and the new track wheels guarantee metal to metal contact.

Left stack (from the bottom), 4 winter tires & wheels (Mustang), 3 "summers" (also Mustang)

Right stack, 4 winter tires & wheels (wife's Subaru), an autocross wheel & tire (Mazda), and the 4th "summer" wheel & tire for the Mustang.

The Mustang is currently riding on its road course track time wheels & tires.

Norm
Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I put mine in black plastic bags which is what tirerack recommends :

"Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation."

"Place the tires in a cool, dry location. It is better to store tires in a dry basement or climate-controlled workshop than in a standard garage, storage shed, hot attic or outdoors. While basement and shop surroundings tend to remain cool and dry, conditions found in typical garage, shed, attic and outdoor locations often include a wide range of hot and cold temperatures, as well as seasonal precipitation and humidity."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=37

For chrome rims i would definatly clean them and the tires very well then put in bags.

Last edited by Andy13186; 07-28-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Where would I get air tight bags? Lawn bags are not air tight. Plus, I wont' have a climate controlled garage. And like I said, it half under ground with no air flow. So the only air flow what I give it when I open the door. Would it still be a good idea to put in bags?

What about stacking them standing up (on their tread) so they lean up against a wall? Space in my garage is very tight as I rent it and it is only a one car garage. Basically it just big to get the car in and get out.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There are tire storage racks that you can bolt to the wall and use the otherwise wasted volume over your car's hood area.

I can't seem to embed this collection of pictures.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...79&FORM=IQFRBA

Norm
Old 07-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

I'd just use big plastic lawn bags or contractors cleanup bags and tape them as good as possible, it will keep most of the air in there just fine. I store mine under my staircase in my house, they do take up some space but just think of a spot that would be best for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Geez Norm, do you have enough tires!! That's a pretty serious stack of tires!

I put cardboard or plywood on the garage floor, and a mat or cardboard on the top. My garage is insulated but not heated, it will get under 30 in our winters. I only have 2 winters of storage and about 30,000 miles on my chrome wheels, but they are spotless. I make sure they are clean before I store them, we have lots of salt on our roads and I run the chrome wheels until the first snow. AM gives a lifetime warranty on the chrome, they may have storage requirements.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Geez Norm, do you have enough tires!! That's a pretty serious stack of tires!

I put cardboard or plywood on the garage floor, and a mat or cardboard on the top. My garage is insulated but not heated, it will get under 30 in our winters. I only have 2 winters of storage and about 30,000 miles on my chrome wheels, but they are spotless. I make sure they are clean before I store them, we have lots of salt on our roads and I run the chrome wheels until the first snow. AM gives a lifetime warranty on the chrome, they may have storage requirements.
I think you are wrong about the warranty. When I bought mine, they only have a year warranty on the finish. Can you give me the link of what their requirements are?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome Wheel and tire storage