Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery and alternator keep going out!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 AM
chazrayturner

Default Battery and alternator keep going out!!

Hey everyone!
I have a 2008 v6 pony pkg for about three years now and I have been trying to fix this problem for over a year now!
It started with my battery going dead, then a few months my alternator went out.. then a week later, the alternator again.. after my 8th one, it started working right.. for about a year. Then we come to yesterday and its doing it all over again.
My lights dim for a little bit a few times when I drive. I don't have any systems in it or anything.
The only thing that seems to pop out is the positive cable from the alt. its a little burnt from the first time all this happened.
Any one have an idea on what I can do to fix it?
I attached a pic of the cable. Let me know it doesn't work. I had to click the little box for the pic to open up
Attached Thumbnails Battery and alternator keep going out!!-20140720_080028.jpg   Battery and alternator keep going out!!-20140713_155832.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, replace the Motorcraft alternator with one from PA Performance. Even the rebuilt Motorcrafts are mediocre. This has been an issue with these S197's since they came out in '05.

Second, are you running any non-OE loads like an aftermarket amp? If so, recheck how you have it wired.

Third, I'd upgrade the battery cables 1 or 2 sizes up unless that burnt wire is solely due to a bad crimp at the lug.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Before you just keep throwing more parts at the problem, I suggest having a tech inspect and test the electrical system. You might have a bad connection somewhere.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

That wire is toast. You need to replace it before you have a electrical fire.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

You may have a voltage drop in the harness. Use a volt meter and check the power from the B+ on the alternator vs at the battery. I've run a new wire from the battery directly to the B+ of the alternator on old euro cars because of a voltage drop
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 AM
chazrayturner

Thanks everyone. Working on replacing the big 3. And no I don't have any amps or anything extra.. all stock
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM
chazrayturner

And the wirr became burnt when the first alternator burnt.. the plastic piece where the positive cable is connected completely melted, leaving that cable fried
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Nuke, get a good alternator and upgrade the battery cables and grounds. Make sure all of the connections are cleaned with a wire brush. Any corrosion will cause a voltage drop and get hot. You can check everything by running it about ten minute with the headlights on and spay a little water on the connectors, if they are hot, the water will sizzle.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

What battery did you put it? Did the alternator issues start happening when the battery was replaced?

I have a v6 battery/alternator cable if you need one.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Please make sure the battery is charged fully before installing your alt. If you use your Alt to fully charge a dead battery it will end up cooking it. Alternators are designed to maintain a charge in a battery, not maintain a charge and charge the battery fully at the same time. They can do it, but they will get ruined.

Quick Reply: Battery and alternator keep going out!!