Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Charging System still on

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Default Check Charging System still on

I replaced / installed a new SR Performance alternator last Wednesday due to my oem having a bad diode and intermittently getting the battery light and "check charging system" message. I replaced the alternator and I'm still getting that message. Not all the time, but I have a couple times now. Do I need to reset the system again ? (first time was when I had the battery unplugged when installing the alternator).

Did I miss something? The battery is fine. I am also still using the stock cable going from the alt to the battery. The heavy duty one for the PA Performance alts didn't seem necessary for the 150 amp SR.

The only difficulty I had as a result of the alternator install was that the fan belt snapped due to my not verifying it was reattached correctly. I drove about 7 miles before it snapped. I lost power steering and the water temp maxed out for a few hundred yards before I could park it and put a new belt in.

Suggestions would help greatly. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Wouldn't hurt to try and reset the battery again, could be a defective alternator.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:30 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

was it brand new or rebuilt, Ive had several problems with rebuilt alternators. not uncommon for them to still be faulty
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
was it brand new or rebuilt, Ive had several problems with rebuilt alternators. not uncommon for them to still be faulty
Exactly. Just take the ALT off and have it tested.

Also, charge the battery on a charger not by the ALT. You will cook the new ALT by using to recharge a dead battery. They are meant to maintain a charge, not completely recharge a battery.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Was the alternator running backwards during the time you had the belt set up incorrectly?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

No, the belt was just twisted. I haven't seen he warning in the last couple days, but when I have a chance, I'm going to drop by the auto parts store and have them test it.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:11 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Was the alternator running backwards during the time you had the belt set up incorrectly?
would that matter?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

If the alternator you have now keeps the car running the tester at the auto parts store will say the alternator is fine. When I had this problem I had a duralast alternator. I got rid of the duralast and bought the PA performance and I have not had the Check Charging System light come back on. Im not sure why our cars electrical system is so sensitive, but it seems they really dont like remanufactured alternators.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:09 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Thought I would give an update on this.... The "check charging system" and battery light did come back. When that happened, I was going to get a buddy of mine to help me remove it an make sure the connections were good. Didn't have time to do that myself before I found a coupon for a local shop that would test it. They didn't have to remove the alternator, but when they were checking the connections by reaching behind the alternator, they felt / heard a snap, as if it wasn't connected good after I installed it, but is now. Well, that was about 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen the message come back. So the problem appears to be fixed. I suspect that if the problem does come back, all I need to do is completely remove the alternator and re-seat the connections, but it appears to no longer be a problem. YAY!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jz78817
would that matter?
Most can run either direction.
Some alternators will see a drop in voltage when run backwards. How much, don't know and I don't know if the ford ones care.

Quick Reply: Check Charging System still on