Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-20-2015, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Rattle in rear of 2010 GT interior

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Default Rattle in rear of 2010 GT interior

So I have done a search on this forum for potential causes... I get a rattle on the driver-side rear decklid/pillar area going over any sort of bump, and with acceleration. I have taken out interior panels, checked all the connection points and tabs, wrapped things in felt, placed some felt contact pads all over the place, and also tried what one person suggested; pulling out rear seat belt to full extension while driving to see if the seatbelt assembly is the cause... All of these things to no avail. I'm certain that this is at the interior and not an exterior issue. Any other thoughts? Have an appointment to take to the dealer on Thursday of next week. I hope they can fix it. It's driving me CRAZY!

Last edited by sbradle4; 08-07-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

my first thought is exhaust.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bones302
my first thought is exhaust.
It's been doing it for about two months. Just put on new axlebacks about 3 weeks ago, made sure everything was tight, properly aligned, and it is still doing it. That's how I've ruled out exhaust. But, who knows.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar rattle on the passenger side. It turned out to be the mechanism the seatbelts roll up into. I tried driving with them buckled and all the way extended, no luck. Then I tucked the buckles/belts into the seat crack as far as I could and no more rattle.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

X2 on seatbelts and exhaust. My over axle pipes were hitting the underside of the trunk. Took me forever to finally find it.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Took the mustang to the dealer today. Guess what? Seat belt housing. The tech said this was only the second mustang he has seen with this problem... And stated that if he had not seen it before he would not have believed it was the seatbelt housing.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by sbradle4
Took the mustang to the dealer today. Guess what? Seat belt housing. The tech said this was only the second mustang he has seen with this problem... And stated that if he had not seen it before he would not have believed it was the seatbelt housing.
Glad to learn your dealer was able to figure this out for you, sbradle4!

Deysha
Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I have a rattle on the right side, right near the back edge of the door. It kind of comes and goes but it's worse turning right and if it's colder out. I took off that right, rear interior panel and found that the black flexible pocket or housing that fits behind the seat belt reel, sits in the hole in the body very, very loosely. I duct taped it on 3 sides to the body to keep it immobile. Jury's still out on the fix though since, as I mentioned above it tends to come and go. If I can make it 2 or 3 weeks with no rattle, I'll declare it fixed!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by WJBertrand
I have a rattle on the right side, right near the back edge of the door. It kind of comes and goes but it's worse turning right and if it's colder out. I took off that right, rear interior panel and found that the black flexible pocket or housing that fits behind the seat belt reel, sits in the hole in the body very, very loosely. I duct taped it on 3 sides to the body to keep it immobile. Jury's still out on the fix though since, as I mentioned above it tends to come and go. If I can make it 2 or 3 weeks with no rattle, I'll declare it fixed!
Hi WJBertrand,

If it comes back, I recommend you have your dealer check it out and speak to your service manager. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember most repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

Deysha
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 AM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Deysha, I'll consider that if my fix does not work. Since it kind of comes and goes, I am a bit reluctant to take it in and just end up having the dealer say they couldn't hear it So far no rattling yesterday, fingers crossed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rattle in rear of 2010 GT interior