Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just join the infamous engine tick club

Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Do the 5.0's have the same issues with the injector tick like the 4.6L? The 4.6 is notorious for ticking, some worse than others.
Injector tick and the engine tick are different. Injector tick is normal but that other tick that you can search on youtube isnt.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
Did my second oil change couple days ago at 12k.
Can I ask WHY.

Is it so hard to follow the Ford maintanence manual. 7500 mile intervals and that is using conventional oil. Synthetic is good for at least 10K miles maybe 15K with filter changes in between.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Can I ask WHY.

Is it so hard to follow the Ford maintanence manual. 7500 mile intervals and that is using conventional oil. Synthetic is good for at least 10K miles maybe 15K with filter changes in between.
.........because i dont drive much, i put about 6k miles per year. You suppose to change your oil every 12 month or recommanded oil change mile which ever come first. Its ignorant to say why not just stick to conventional oil or that 7.5k interval btw its 10k actually for 13's i believe.

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 08-08-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

They are synthetic blend from the factory, not conventional.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
They are synthetic blend from the factory, not conventional.

Conventional is good for about 3k-4k miles only. Blend about 7k (Ford says 7.5k). And full syn, I'm in the 10k miles group and have gone 12k with no concern. But there are those that are taking full syn to 15k and beyond.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I get Castrol Syn for free, so I'm not as frugal with it.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

check for a tsp. i read one where if you remove your ac belt and run the motor it may not make the ticking noise. tsb says to install a factory tensioner kit.
Removing the ac belt requires cutting it off. its a stretch belt and they suck.

as far as oil changes, Ford Motorcraft 5w 50 for me (track pack) every 5k miles.

oil changes are cheap insurance. id rather spend the money frequently changing my oil then spend the money on a new motor.
thats my point of view. I've taken so many engines apart and they are full of sludge buildup from people not changing their oil frequently enough
Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
check for a tsp. i read one where if you remove your ac belt and run the motor it may not make the ticking noise. tsb says to install a factory tensioner kit.
Removing the ac belt requires cutting it off. its a stretch belt and they suck.

as far as oil changes, Ford Motorcraft 5w 50 for me (track pack) every 5k miles.

oil changes are cheap insurance. id rather spend the money frequently changing my oil then spend the money on a new motor.
thats my point of view. I've taken so many engines apart and they are full of sludge buildup from people not changing their oil frequently enough
I have seen that tsb its 12-8-14. But its for 11-12 mustang and should it tick even with ac off?

btw i saw a new owner on utube got his tick fixed by dealer retorqing his cam, seems theres no direct cause of this tick. Everyone tick solution seems different.

I feel the same way about oil change but apparently PNYXPRESS think thats my problem lol.

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 08-09-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
CoolStuffForDummies

'13 GT here, MT82, Brembos, 3.73's. Still stock. 22k miles on it with no mechanical issues whatsoever, I broke it in easy for the first 1,000-1,500 miles but after that I pretty much let it warm up and then drive it hard every single time I get in the car. Valvetrain is a little loud when you pop the hood and listen to it idle, like pretty much all DOHC engines, but it sounds very consistent and exactly the same as it did brand new, no random loud ticking that stands out.

Can you tell exactly what part of the engine the ticking is coming from? It's important to note if it's coming from one particular cylinder bank, or from the face of the engine itself.

I had a previous 5.0 before my 2013 and it had a few problems. Very very loud & violent sounding vibration in the rear of the car above 100 mph, it made the entire rear window vibrate, the noise was much louder than stock exhaust or even most aftermarket axlebacks I've heard, and still to this day I suspect they forgot some sort of rubber seal behind the middle brake light on the trunk. I packed/taped foam rubber behind it, between the back of the light and the body, and also Styrofoam and it helped until about 120 mph and then it started vibrating again. Just a quality issue, the car was probably finished as a workday was letting out.

The car also ticked after a while, in my case it was a timing chain tensioner issue. That's mass production, I was really irritated about it at first but you have to understand, these things happen. It's important not to take it personally or anything. Most issues with these cars are very simple, and if you car runs/drives correctly & safely and has the same performance it did when you bought it, be patient and visit the service department, or even multiple Ford service departments, until the issue is resolved.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

*update*
Just as i expected when i dropped it off at the dealer today, service manager told me everyrthing was fine and the tick is normal. He also mentioned i was not the only one, he has seen many 2011+ mustangs coming in with the tick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just join the infamous engine tick club