Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just join the infamous engine tick club

Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Default Just join the infamous engine tick club

Did my second oil change couple days ago at 12k. Same oil and filter like last time(mobil 1 full sythn & motorcraft filter). Yesterday while car was in garage i noticed ticking. Ticking is on and off randomnly while the hvac is off but soon as ac is turn on tick seems to be more frequent. I freaked out and searched online and read hundred of threads. It seems theres thounsands of others out there who has the same tick. Most were dismissed by dealer while few had their part/engine replaced.

Many owners had tick within first 1k miles and engine still runs great but some who are persistent with the dealer later found out to be cylinder scoring, long/short block, tensioner, cam phaser...etc but theres also who had this part replaced but still ticks. It seems the only solution is to replace the entire engine. Then again it still might tick.

Im really getting sick of my car popping up with problems this early in its lifespan. First was the rear axle leak then 2 pinion seal leak, front control arm, passenger rear caliber. Not to mention new noises thats poping up in my car like driver seat squeaks randomly, rear caliber squeak sometimes in reverse, auto shifter squeak. This might be my first and last ford. This is unacceptable and it seems from forums this tick has been around at least 4 years now including the trucks.

I love the car when its problem free but these problems is starting to get to me. I was going to get a roush exhaust this week but im having second thoughts.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:50 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Did you read if there were any negative effects due to this ticking?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

15,000 in my 2014 GT. No ticks, squeaks, knocks, rattles or issues of any kind.

Motorcraft Synthetic. Motorcraft filter. Are you using the proper weight oil? Oil too thick could starve a lifter and cause some ticking. Should go away after getting warmed up good.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Did you read if there were any negative effects due to this ticking?
Never once i saw a post about it damage the engine rather just tick reported.

Originally Posted by jhawkr
15,000 in my 2014 GT. No ticks, squeaks, knocks, rattles or issues of any kind.

Motorcraft Synthetic. Motorcraft filter. Are you using the proper weight oil? Oil too thick could starve a lifter and cause some ticking. Should go away after getting warmed up good.
You can check by letting your car idle or drive 1-5mph or have the ac on it seem to tick more frequently.

I used 5w20 like the engine suggest. I dont play around with oil weight.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
Never once i saw a post about it damage the engine rather just tick reported.

You can check by letting your car idle or drive 1-5mph or have the ac on it seem to tick more frequently.

I used 5w20 like the engine suggest. I dont play around with oil weight.

So I guess my question is, is it worth getting upset about?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
So I guess my question is, is it worth getting upset about?
YES, engines are not suppose to sound like that. This has been on going problem and some still tick after engine replaced. It also seems which part thats causing the tick is not certain. Many had different parts replaced, some tick went away and some didnt. Im already putting up with alot of noises and issues. I dont need my engine to act up now.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:50 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

I totally get your frustration with your car...but...if you haven't modded your motor with a tune or anything...worse case...it's an incovience to replace your motor and not money out of your pocket. Should be covered under warranty.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OSUTX440
I totally get your frustration with your car...but...if you haven't modded your motor with a tune or anything...worse case...it's an incovience to replace your motor and not money out of your pocket. Should be covered under warranty.
True, thats also what im thinking but its still frustrating for a new car to have some much annoying problems. I was hoping to hear from people who has more mileage than me who also had tick since new to chime on.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Is it a ticking like lifters or a knocking like detonation. It could be a something with the AC pulley and bearings as well.... considering you notice it more when the AC is on. Check the charge level on the AC system. Its a closed system but lets be realistic...they still can leak or may not have the proper charge from the factory. Eliminate that as the cause since it seems to be more pronounced there.... then consider other extremes if that's not it. The Warranty at this point is on your side.

---
Old 08-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do the 5.0's have the same issues with the injector tick like the 4.6L? The 4.6 is notorious for ticking, some worse than others.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just join the infamous engine tick club