Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub Bearings

Old 08-09-2014, 01:46 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default Hub Bearings

I just came back from the Ford dealer having service done. They told me in the near future I need to have the front hub bearings replaced at a cost of $439. First off that's seems kind of high, second the car only has 31000 miles.

So far I've spent almost $900 dollars in repairs that are not common on a low mileage car. First was the interior rear view mirror was creating a bothersome vibrating noise through the entire interior of the car, around $300 to replace the mirror. Then the trunk wouldn't close, needed a trunk assembly kit, also around $300. The third repair was the blower wasn't blowing to the floor on through the vents or the windshield. Around $300 to fix. I forgot to mention I took the car to a different dealer then my normal one because I had a coupon for a free oil change. The cynic in me says the lure you in with free service to get you to spend money on something that may not need to be fixed. the car is running fine, no vibrating from the steering wheel.

Sorry for the long rant, just looking for opinions from the mustang experts out there.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

The $900 dollars in repairs have been since February.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:01 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

That is a common trick. Unless YOU notice something I wouldn't take service advice.. IMHO... However, front wheel hub bearings are generally ~$109 a piece, plus the $25 crush sleeve nut, some hub grease, then a $22 seal... so that is actually about an honest figure... Course I changed mine out on my own @ 82,000 due to the bearing breaking down
Old 08-09-2014, 03:02 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

And depending on how mechanically inclined you or a trusted friend are, you can do things yourself (a trunk latch assy is only a couple bolts honestly. However since it's a remote only assy the electronics jack the price up.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:05 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Fordparts show the trunk assy at $109... so they mightve ripped you off there lol
Old 08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
That is a common trick. Unless YOU notice something I wouldn't take service advice.. IMHO... However, front wheel hub bearings are generally ~$109 a piece, plus the $25 crush sleeve nut, some hub grease, then a $22 seal... so that is actually about an honest figure... Course I changed mine out on my own @ 82,000 due to the bearing breaking down
At around 60 mph there's a very minuscule amount of steering wheel vibration but you only notice it if you take both hands off the steering wheel. I just think they were trying to take advantage of a new customer. Next time when I go back to my regular dealer for service I won't mention the hub bearings and see if they mention it to me. I'm not mechanically inclined nor is anyone I know that lives close by.

Last edited by BlueBellThunder; 08-09-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Need to add more info
Old 08-09-2014, 07:48 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

bad wheel bearings don't usually cause steering wheel vibration. they normally cause a humming or moaning sound which varies with road speed, and may get louder or quieter around a turn.

steering wheel vibration is usually a tire problem or sometimes a symptom of a front brake caliper not releasing.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:02 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I thought these cars had sealed, non servicable front hubs. How did the shop determine yours needed replaced.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I thought these cars had sealed, non servicable front hubs. How did the shop determine yours needed replaced.
That's an excellent question, not sure. I've been going to the same dealer for 4 years and they've never tried to sell me on repairs I might not need. I went to this dealer becuase they offer a free oil change. This is a Ford dealer just a few extra miles down the road from my regular dealer. I forgot to mention in my original post that I had the oil change 2 weeks ago and a couple of days later noticed some oil drops on my garage floor. I figured they didn't tighten up something underneath. I had surgery a few days later so couldn't take the car in until 2 weeks after the oil change. It must have been a minuscule leak, when I checked the oil it was fine. When they were done with the service they spoke to my wife( I was in the restroom) and just told here they cleaned the undercarriage. There was no charge. They gave her the keys and a sheet of paper recommending the hub repair. I'm really questioning this because they never said what was causing the leak. Before I put the car in the garage I put newspaper down on the floor to make sure it's fixed. If not I will make a formal complant to Ford about this dealership. If fixed I will just hi back to my regular dealer I understand people can make mistakes, but when I first had the oil change no mention of the hub, and I only drove the car about 100 miles between visits. I might also mention I've been getting my cars dealer serviced for the last 15 years and have never had issues with any one of them until now. The couple of times I tried places like Pep Boys I sure did. Things like not putting on the radiator cap securely. Fortunately I noticed the smell a few blocks away and no harm came from it. I just hope this is am isolated incident from this dealer.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by BlueBellThunder; 08-10-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Need to imput more info
Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 AM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
bad wheel bearings don't usually cause steering wheel vibration. they normally cause a humming or moaning sound which varies with road speed, and may get louder or quieter around a turn.

steering wheel vibration is usually a tire problem or sometimes a symptom of a front brake caliper not releasing.
Not necessarily true.
Last year, my truck would get an intermittent shake from the front with no noise, then an occasional "womp womp" sound on the highway, then a clattering like a CV joint (4wd).
Eventually a horrific noise in a turn cued me to the real problem.
I raised the front and gave the road wheel a tug and sure enough I had plenty of play.
The odd thing was that I could go weeks without any noise / vibration at all.
New front wheel hubs solved all of this. Even though I did all the work myself, the parts were around $200 each.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hub Bearings