Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Installing Roush A/B

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

A few tips-

Loosening the clamps holding your h pipe to the over axles will help- just 4 15mm bolts.

Unbolt the panhard bar brace on the drivers side- 2 15 mm bolts

Spray a liberal amount of wd40 into the hangars

Just getting the over axles and panhard brace out of the way will help immensely and after disconnecting the rearmost hangar the stockers should just slide out of the front of the hangars. Those disconnects give you the space to do that and wd40 makes it easy. Unbolting the hangars is unnecessary and that top bolt is a royal PITA.

When I did my install removing the stockers took 80% of the time. Getting the outlaws in was super easy. Getting the corsas in was a little tougher- i finally caved and got ramps and a creeper and the quality of my life has increased exponentially.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:36 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Ratcheting box wrenches are the best tools you will ever own. Sears puts them on sale all the time. I got the flexhead ones. Makes muffler removal a snap. I have swapped axlebacks 6 times. Should have bought Borla the first time around. LOL
Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Today is my day off and i finally got the chance to mess around with it again. It doesnt matter how hard i tried theres no room to push stock exhaust forward toward the front of the car with the mid pipe in the way. Taking off bracket was impossible my wrench couldnt reach the bolt abover exhaust. After all that i decided to pry off the stock clamps. After getting the clamps off theres a quarter of an inch clearance to move mid pipe out of the way. I could finally eat my breakfast now and get the roush on afterward.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

lol i literally drove 10 minute with the new exhaust and already being called an *******.....

Is it normal to get this constant hum(drone?) on start up? it only goes away after i put it in drive or reverse after initial startup. Also for some reason passenger side inlet pipe and midpipe doesnt perfectly fit like the driver side.

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 08-17-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Unbolting the mid-pipes is how I did it. If the ramps don't give you room, get some jack stands. You will need them over and over any way.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Buchez09GT
1st Gear Member

I too installed the Roush Axle-Backs. I was able to muscle the OEM's off by moving the mid-pipe around until it magically found clearance to pull off from the rear hangers. However, you were able to swap them out, rock on!!

They're loud in the morning when I start my car but I don't consider that drone. that's just glorious noise. If you wait a min the idle will set in and they'll calm down.

You'll have to mess with the passenger side. I too had the same issue where it didn't sit centered. You might have to loosen the bolt holding the muffler to mid-pipe to get it centered. I was able to muscle it into place but have read others had to loosen that bolt.

Good luck, enjoy the sound and hope you live in a county/state that doesn't have noise ordinances
Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buchez09GT
I too installed the Roush Axle-Backs. I was able to muscle the OEM's off by moving the mid-pipe around until it magically found clearance to pull off from the rear hangers. However, you were able to swap them out, rock on!!

They're loud in the morning when I start my car but I don't consider that drone. that's just glorious noise. If you wait a min the idle will set in and they'll calm down.

You'll have to mess with the passenger side. I too had the same issue where it didn't sit centered. You might have to loosen the bolt holding the muffler to mid-pipe to get it centered. I was able to muscle it into place but have read others had to loosen that bolt.

Good luck, enjoy the sound and hope you live in a county/state that doesn't have noise ordinances
lol yea i got it on, it was a pain in the ***. Even when i put the new exhaust on, I had to uninstall the bracket due to clearance.

Its more of a hummmm i get after it the car is started and it doesnt matter if its cold start or not. But it does go away after i put in reverse or drive or give it tiny rev. Not worry too much.

As for the fitment issue on passenger side is off aliitle (1/8 or so) compared to perfectly fit on driver side. I try to fit inlet pipe of the exhaust on the midpipe before i even hang it up but it just off, no biggy. No leak as far as i can tell.

Btw what i noticed after installing is roush doesnt have a unique sound rather its the same stock exhaust sound but louder. I wonder if its the same as other exhaust maybe just tiny diference in sound.

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 08-19-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

There shouldn't be a humm, probably means there is something loose or something rubbing. Might wanna double check everything again.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
There shouldn't be a humm, probably means there is something loose or something rubbing. Might wanna double check everything again.
I double checked, if it was loose or rubbing i would of get that while at stop lights or idle.