Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear differential leak, 07gt

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear differential leak, 07gt

So i took my car in to Cherokee Ford today, to get an oil change, and a rear differential change. It's at 66k, so i figured it was time. One hour in, the tech guy tells me that my rear differential is leaking, and it will be $300 to fix it. He showed me the leak, and i trust these guys so i went ahead and payed it. Car runs great now and I'm happy with their service, but i wish i was not out $300. Any body else had this? Any chance Ford can cover this? I don't see why i should have to pay when i take great care of my car and this is clearly a factory defect.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

... etc ... a rear differential change. It's at 66k, ... etc ... my rear differential is leaking, and it will be $300 to fix it. He showed me the leak, and i trust these guys so i went ahead and payed it. ... etc ... Any chance Ford can cover this? I don't see why i should have to pay when i take great care of my car and this is clearly a factory defect.
Seven, maybe nearer 8 years old and 66K miles and you want warranty to cover it as a defect? Seals wear, some last longer than others, and I think this one outlasted what was promised under warranty.

It's just part of taking care of it at this point.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Are you serious? Any chance Ford will cover it?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

then you should have done the repair yourself.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:10 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
Seals wear, some last longer than others, and I think this one outlasted what was promised under warranty.

It's just part of taking care of it at this point.

Okay, fair enough. I had just never heard of this before. Seems to me if differential seals have a typical life span, it would be good to know when to replace it, as general preventative maintenance.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:43 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

In regards to the video, I'm guessing for $300 it was the pinion seal, not the diff cover gasket. The gasket should probably have been a part of servicing the differential anyway since the stock differential cover doesn't have a drain plug and would come off anyway. The pinion seal takes a little more work to replace, but still can be done fairly easily yourself.

Either way, I don't really know if it could be considered a preventative maintenance replacement. It's more of a replace if and when it starts leaking type thing. There are tons of gaskets and seals that you COULD replace, but don't need to unless there's an issue.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

it was probably the pinion seal, but $300 seems like a lot even for that. Unless they removed everything like the manual calls for, which is stupid. It will likely leak again,because the vent tube on top of the rear axle tube isn't nearly adequate enough to relieve the pressure inside the diff. I would say that the vent cap on top of the axle is definitely defective, it just doesn't work right. pop the cap off with a screw driver, attach a length of hose from the hardware store and zip tie the hose up above the axle to the evap hoses. Don't make the hose to short!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
it was probably the pinion seal, but $300 seems like a lot even for that. Unless they removed everything like the manual calls for, which is stupid. It will likely leak again,because the vent tube on top of the rear axle tube isn't nearly adequate enough to relieve the pressure inside the diff. I would say that the vent cap on top of the axle is definitely defective, it just doesn't work right. pop the cap off with a screw driver, attach a length of hose from the hardware store and zip tie the hose up above the axle to the evap hoses. Don't make the hose to short!
Thanks a lot bro. Got any pics to help me with the job?
Old 08-16-2014, 05:10 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

So was it the pinion seal that was leaking?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:30 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
So was it the pinion seal that was leaking?
Yes it was.

Quick Reply: Rear differential leak, 07gt