Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 - 09 VS. 10 - 14

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default 05 - 09 VS. 10 - 14

How would you guys compare the two eras with each other (specifically the GT's)?

I love my 07GT and would only change a couple of things to make it a dream vehicle.

I stopped by Ford today and drove a 2012GT manual, with the premium package, just for kicks. There was definitely more power, but not THAT much more. Especially considering it's supposed to have 100 ponies more than mine. It only felt slightly faster. Also I felt the 6th gear was completely unneccesary, and ultimately just made for more gears with shorter bands. 5 gears is definitely plenty. You only need the 5th on the highway, and 1 - 4 for everything else. I think Ford just went up to 6 to make the car seem more modern and high-performance to the consumer. But ended up just making it less functional. Not unlike digital temperature controls.

The ride however, was WAY smoother. Made my GT seem like I was riding on 26's. And the shifter was smoother as well, a nice short smooth throw. It functioned a lot more like a BMW would shift and ride. Also, I couldn't get over how quiet it was. Almost TOO quiet. I could barely hear any roar, even at 5k RPMS. I soundproofed my car with secondskin audio (which I made a thread about 4 years ago) and mine isn't this quiet. I actually prefer mine though, as some of the roar still seeps thru the cabin when you go WOT. The 2012 GT was almost too quiet to be considered a muscle car. This model had the glasstop, which def had a wow factor, but worth $2,000....IDK....

What do you guys think, opinions on the 05-09 era vs. the 10 - 14 era?
Old 08-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i had a 2007 v6
then a 2005 gt

now a 2010 gt

100 bhp with a 1700 kilo car wont be a huge improvement...

the newer car has a bmw feel to it...everything feels better imho..the interior is about 1000 times better...the road holding is way better..
no brainer imho if you want to change you wont regret it.
i would never own another 05 09 manual mustang EVER

Last edited by Rudolph Hucker; 08-16-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Having driven both my 06 GT and my friends 12 GT a lot, there is a substantial difference In the power. I have Mild bolt ons and he has a few more (boss intake, exhaust, airraid...) Both of us have enough tire and suspension mods to put all of the power down and his is much faster. End of that story. The interior is nicer but i feel the ride isnt too different. A lot of the smoother perception comes from the quieter cabin (which a set of axle backs fixes quickly). The 6th is nice in my opinion as it is pretty tall for cruising gas mileage. The higher redline is also nice. It is really just preference.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I do agree that they are way too quiet!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

having had a '06 previously and the '13 now, you couldn't really do anything at all to make me even slightly interested in ownership of a 05-09. They look so incredibly dated now.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

The stock axlebacks were the first thing to come out of my '14.

Coming from an 09 to a 14 the 14 is much more... refined. Pure and simple. I don't think there's another way to really describe it.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Both engines are proven to make serious power when built right. Aftermarket supports every part of both cars. Money makes the "which one is faster and handles better" argument null and void.

It boils down to which one looks better to you if money is no concern.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

"Wife Unit" and I agree, and have agreed since the newer ones came out .... '04-'09 rear ends are way better looking than '10-'14s, still feel that way ..... they aren't growing on us .... which is why we have a '08. The front of the '10-'14 ain't bad, looks like Ford took it's cues from past Shelbys.

We do love the looks of the same pre '10 Shelbys, but desiring to drive it and not fret over it so that we can't enjoy .... we got a GT. The power levels that are available for "not a lot" mean I can have the extra power of a 5.0 (and more) for "not a whole lot $$$" ..... and do it reliably.

We wanted a Mustang that lets you know it's not a BMW .... if we wanted a BMW we'ld have bought one .... also. We like some noise, we like the ride (hell, she loves the Bilstein HDs under the Merc that I thought might be too stiff!), we like the general feel of the older Mustang GT. I like tinkering, I like mods, and I can do what I want with this Mustang easy.

Someone said the '04-'09 looks dated ..... at 60 yoa I can well recall when the first Corvette Stingray with hide away lights arrived at Vaughn Chevrolet and I can recall when a '66 Mustang fastback GT or '69 Boss 302 were "just used cars that looked dated" like that '66 looked alongside that same '69 .... and when a pristine '65 Coupe with 289 / 4 speed that was well kept was at best .... "just an old Mustang".

There'll come a day .... when the "dated" looks of a '04-'09 will be prized for their clean lines .... while a '10-'14 will always have that ugly butt (I'm sorry if it hurts to read that, I didn't design it, just stating a fact) so I'll not hang my head in shame.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:20 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Both engines are proven to make serious power when built right. Aftermarket supports every part of both cars. Money makes the "which one is faster and handles better" argument null and void.

It boils down to which one looks better to you if money is no concern.
Thats it exactly. I love my 06GT. Cammed and blown so it has decent power 425 rwhp and a complete suspension upgrade so the ride is spectacular. New cars look great and have nicer interiors ie bell and whistles. In the end I feel like my 06 is sorta an "old school" s197. Its mean and nasty, longtubes and cams make it loud. LOL I cannot see parting with it at this time. But if I was buying a mustang right now, it would be a newer one for sure.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

The 13-14's I love! They are way more advanced and refined inside and out plus under the hood. However the 05-09 have that muscle car feel that I enjoy, they are noisier and have that low end grunt that's just fun. The interior is simple and there just like a muscle car should be. It's not a bmw. After the mods I've done to my 06, (clutch, suspension, 4.10's and many engine mods)it's rather crude and rough to drive. But that's why I love it! The steering, shifter and all the pedals are heavy and make you actually pay attention and drive. I've driven 4 or 5 13-14 GT's all standard. Love them, but there so smooth and quiet it's weird after driving mine, plus the engine doesn't get going till really high rpms and that's with the 3.73's. It's a personal choice can't go wrong with either, especially considering the price between the two!

Quick Reply: 05 - 09 VS. 10 - 14