Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 - 09 VS. 10 - 14

Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

There's always something better/newer/faster/more refined/insert positive adjective here.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The 05-09 cars looked dated the moment they came out. They were designed to have that classic look. Just like the challenger was designed to appear that there was no lapse in production.

To say the 10+ cars are leaps and bounds above the 05-09 is just stupid. They all have the same chassis and suspension setup. With maybe a slightly stiffer spring/strut to accommodate the extra weight.

Y'all need to go get in a fox body if you want old and outdated.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:11 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I love the looks of the 08 I have. Until I had this car a little while my favorite was the new edge... but after driving this car for a year or so, I'd never go elsewhere. I do like the more aggressive look of the 10-14 cars, but that ***.... is horrible.

So I will stick to my 2008, and the plans to get a 5.3L Stroked, blown and cammed motor... like someone else said, both cars are really just a matter of how much money you throw at em.

As for the ride? I've got a full Steeda suspension and it handles great
Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm kind of dreading having to go for 5th gear in the TR3650 out on a road course because it's too big of a jump from 4th and you fall out of the powerband. A good close-ratio 6-speed and the right axle gear choice could eliminate that, at the cost of having no choice but to do more shifting. Something like the MT-82 with 3.15 axle gears . . . you'd use all six, just like I use all six in my wife's '10 Subie.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-17-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Honestly,

I had an 09. Loved the look. Wouldn't have changed a thing. When she was totaled I bought a new 14 because I just don't trust used cars from dealers or ppl I don't know. It's a pet peeve.

The *** of the 14s took some getting used to for me too. Honestly I think the coloring is great with the stock blackout panel and the tail lights. I just hate how they are rounded at the edges. Other than that, it's a beautiful car, and the front end has grown on me to the point where I think it is prettier than an 09 stock. The rear end has grown on me too, I just still wish it wasn't rounded.

IMO, do your research, but when you find the right car she will let you know. It's almost like wands in Harry Potter. The wand chooses the wizard, and some times the stang chooses the driver.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I've never been a fan of the '10-12 body style. It looks like they were in need of a change, and just poorly altered the lines a little. The black plastic on the bottom of that generation is a real turn off for me too. I like the front end of the '13-14, and the rear is a little better due to the tail lights, but I still prefer the first gen S197, which is why I still have mine. Unless someting horrible happens to mine I have no intentions of ever parting ways it.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I like everything about the styling except for that rear bumper. What were they thinking?:

Even painted, it's still pretty bad:

Despite all the upgrades, the bumper on the 05 - 09 is definitely better looking.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
Yeah I like everything about the styling except for that rear bumper. What were they thinking?:
That making the lower portion black reduces the visual mass of the car as seen from the rear and makes the car look smaller/lighter.

Success, however, depends on the execution.

Norm
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I looked at the back of the car one day when my wife and I were walking out through the garage to get into her car, and she laughed when I blurted out, "MMMMMMMM MMM. Dat ***!"

I really like the look of the back of the 13 & 14's. I like the 05-09's with the new Raxiom taillight kits that mimic the look of the 13 &14s.

Just look at this rear end!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree with jz. The car looks perfect, I think it sounds a little better than the 5.0. Would I rather have the extra 100 hp? Absolutely, however, I like the 05-09 body style the best of all the stangs, with the exception of the exterior of 69/70. I drive 6 miles to work in a rural area of NY. There are usually at least 2 cops on my drive to and from work, so you can't use the hp I already have. I am keeping mine forever, storing it in the winter, modding whatever I like, and generally just enjoying it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 - 09 VS. 10 - 14