Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Car is Actually Embarrassing Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Aquila

Default This Car is Actually Embarrassing Me

Gave a girl I like a ride and she was commenting on all the noises it makes.

Most noticeably is the one I don't think can be fixed. The seat backs squeak, well maybe not a squeak but more of a rattle, can't explain it. It happens when you sit down. I'm assuming its the release mechanism for the seat that runs to the top.

Everything else I think can be fixed except not sure about the clutch, maybe the throwout bearing? It rattles when clutch is engaged in neutral.

Under normal acceleration especially disengaging the clutch while in first gear you get a nice rattle.

Windows squeak really bad when it rains. I put silicone on the seals, but I guess I need to be more liberal in my application unless somebody has a better idea.

The other one I just have to figure out myself. Something on the suspension is squeaking. Can hear it sometimes when sitting down in the car. I'm 147 lbs so it's not that

Edit: Actually I'm not sure it does it anymore when I sit since I got the shocks in the back replaced, but there is still something squeaking, when driving.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Your exhaust hangers could be a huge culprit in the noise department. My seats also make noise. As well as my a/c vent rattle, my dash rattle, window squeak, door rattle. Forget it, there's so many.

It's a great car but it's a Ford not a Benz.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Aquila

I get that. I like the car, but the interior is just really cheap. I've never known a car to just have the top of the shift **** just break off. My F150 was actually pretty solid.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:09 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Its a mustang , lol put some nice rumbly mufflers on it and get er sideways through three gears next time you give her a ride, she will not even notice the little noises it makes
Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aquila
It rattles when clutch is engaged in neutral.

Under normal acceleration especially disengaging the clutch while in first gear you get a nice rattle.
This sounds like normal gear rattle, between the teeth on the input shaft gear and the countershaft gear that it meshes with. This possibly gets louder due to age and total miles. Some cars use a dual-mass flywheel to quiet this down.

The other one I just have to figure out myself. Something on the suspension is squeaking. Can hear it sometimes when sitting down in the car. I'm 147 lbs so it's not that

Edit: Actually I'm not sure it does it anymore when I sit since I got the shocks in the back replaced, but there is still something squeaking, when driving.
My guess here is your car's stabilizer bar bushings. Sometimes a shot or two of WD-40 will quiet this for a while.

Norm
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Ask the biatch to drive in her car next time. Problem solved.
Oh wait, maybe not! She prolly drive a Civic. lol
Oh wait!! Those cars are noisy too.

My 06 is rattle/squeak free at 110K miles so it depends how the car ages with roads conditions and the care of maintenance etc...

For the windows, try Teflon spray but don't over do it.
For your front end, check all your swaybar bushings and spring rubber seats and spray that with lithium grease.
Grease your ball joints as well. All this is part of maintenance anyway.
Although by the time those ball joints start to squeak, they usually have little life left in them...
Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Aquila

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Originally Posted by pascal
Ask the biatch to drive in her car next time. Problem solved.
Oh wait, maybe not! She prolly drive a Civic. lol
Oh wait!! Those cars are noisy too.

My 06 is rattle/squeak free at 110K miles so it depends how the car ages with roads conditions and the care of maintenance etc...

For the windows, try Teflon spray but don't over do it.
For your front end, check all your swaybar bushings and spring rubber seats and spray that with lithium grease.
Although by the time those ball joints start to squeak, they usually have little life left in them...
Whats with the mirrors?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:26 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

My 2010 does not have any seat rattle. I suspect they fixed the issue with the interior redesign.

You can stick some foam / felt in the seat catches to silence that rattle.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Are you referring to the car
Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 AM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the laugh Art161, I needed that to start the morning:>

Quick Reply: This Car is Actually Embarrassing Me