Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Jonathanva99

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nuke
Spending $500-$600 on a CAI & tune to get MAYBE 1-2 mpg gain; assuming you don't get on it which is asinine because you bought the car for it's fast appearance and not economy; is pretty stupid. Over the life of the car you won't likely break even.

You want to save gas? Walk more. Drive like a granny.

Want to save money to SPEND on gas? Drink water, not soda. Make your own coffee, not buy Starbucks. Pack your own lunch, not buy Happy Meals and buckets of chicken.

We're a stupid society. Save money elsewhere but spend it on what you love and paid $30k or so for... YOUR CAR.
I liked this quote the best. Read it as I drank my triple expresso from starbucks. Still cheaper then paying for internet. The v6 2010 mustang is not fast at all but looks amazing. I think I read they dropped an old engine from a ford ranger into the 2010 is its quite slow. So going the opposite way, improving mpg instead of performance seems like an option some would take. But theres really nothing you can do to improve mpg based on this thread, which is why I think the above advice is the best advice.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

The OP is looking for ways to improve his gas mileage. He's not looking for witty snobs to criticize his question and make sophomoric judgements of their own. There's always some clown who tries to be funny by berating the topic.

Like others have said, if you're looking to improve your gas mileage and add some decent power, invest in a CAI as well as a tune. As Siber mentioned, a GT muffler will make it sound great as well as let the exhaust flow a tad better. I averaged 21mpg around town with a little highway driving.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Install a block of wood under the gas pedal or install the 4-banger beater into you garage.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

You bought the wrong car if saving gas is a concern. Coming from a 6er myself, no amount of babying (which I hardly did) was worth the little gas I might've saved. The 4.0 is a bulky engine. You CAN invest in a CAI/Tune but like Nuke said, you wont see much of a difference. The Mustang is meant for fun, not fuel-misering and that's pretty much the jist of it.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
The OP is looking for ways to improve his gas mileage. He's not looking for witty snobs to criticize his question and make sophomoric judgements of their own. There's always some clown who tries to be funny by berating the topic.

Like others have said, if you're looking to improve your gas mileage and add some decent power, invest in a CAI as well as a tune.
what is a CAI going to do? nothing. If he's worried about gas mileage, then it's safe to assume he's not blasting around at WOT much if at all. as I already said, almost all of the pumping losses are going to be at the throttle plate because he's puttering around with it barely cracked open. the (theoretical) increase in airflow capability of a CAI just doesn't matter if the engine isn't demanding that airflow.

Buying stuff to try to improve mpg is a waste of time, money, and effort. He'd spend more on the mods than he'll save in gas money.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
what is a CAI going to do? nothing. If he's worried about gas mileage, then it's safe to assume he's not blasting around at WOT much if at all. as I already said, almost all of the pumping losses are going to be at the throttle plate because he's puttering around with it barely cracked open. the (theoretical) increase in airflow capability of a CAI just doesn't matter if the engine isn't demanding that airflow.

Buying stuff to try to improve mpg is a waste of time, money, and effort. He'd spend more on the mods than he'll save in gas money.
I've driven with a stock intake on every mustang I've ever owned as well as installed a CAI on each one. I noticed an improvement on mileage and power on all six of them. To say that a CAI is going to do nothing is a complete and utter lie. Even if it's a minimal gain, it's still a gain.

Last edited by yourmom6990; 08-20-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
I've driven with a stock intake on every mustang I've ever owned as well as installed a CAI on each one. I noticed an improvement on mileage and power on all six of them. To say that a CAI is going to do nothing is a complete and utter lie. Even if it's a minimal gain, it's still a gain.
not buying it. your right foot has far, far more influence on mpg than anything you could bolt on to your car. Show me some actual scientific, controlled testing and I might listen.

and even with that aside, if it's a "minimal" gain, then it won't pay for itself in fuel savings.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
not buying it. your right foot has far, far more influence on mpg than anything you could bolt on to your car. Show me some actual scientific, controlled testing and I might listen.

and even with that aside, if it's a "minimal" gain, then it won't pay for itself in fuel savings.
On the contrary, show me scientific evidence it doesn't.

For kicks..Lets just say a CAI bumps ones mpg by one mile...

Figure an average of 19mpg / $3.50/gal (roughly) = 18.4cents per mile
Now an added 1mpg.. so 20mpg / $3.50/gal = 17.5cents per mile
Saving roughly 1cent per mile x roughly 300miles per tank = $3.00 savings per tank.

After 25,000 miles you've saved $250! The ballpark retail price for a 4.0 CAI.

This equation is portraying rough numbers but the increase in MPG is from personal experience.
So.. Eventually a CAI will pay for itself in fuel savings even if it's a minimal gain.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:09 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

On the contrary, show me scientific evidence it doesn't.
doesn't work that way. you're recommending he spend money on something, the onus is on you to show it'll work. You're asking me to prove a negative.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Jonathanva99

Smile Seeing a trend here

I think what you might be trying to teach me is the soul of a sports car. Perhaps the reason for their existence. Maybe the essence of the mustang or the full enjoyment of it. As this thread winds to an end here soon, I think that is the message I received.

It doesn't matter how fast your mustang goes. You can do almost anything to this car, and I think that's one thing that makes it great. One thing I'm sure of is that we all daydream about what we can do to our mustang roflcopter

~Jonathan

Quick Reply: How can I save gas?