Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Oh I didnt know you were an all knowing, all seeing mustang god. Have you ever owned a 3.8L new edge mustang or a 4.6L with only a K&N filter and no other mod.

If you actually knew anything about CAFE standards then you would know it isnt just about gas mileage and power. Cars are tuned for optimal emissions at the sacrifice of fuel mileage.
If the only thing you can do is insult me then don't bother replying. Especially if you're going to respond with wrong information.

CAFE = "Corporate Average Fuel Economy." CAFE has nothing to do with emissions. CAFE mpg requirements are increasing every year, and as I said if a simple change in the type of air filter would bring a 1 to 3 mpg gain then the automakers would fall all over themselves to use them. This is why. Guess what, none of them are using K&N filters.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
where have I said you can't? I'm only saying that in this specific situation, the proposed modifications probably won't help. You really have a knack for putting words in my mouth.

that's original. I'm actually looking for a motorcycle; I don't think Volvo makes those.

highly unlikely the filter gave you that. With all of the CAFE pressure on automakers, if a slightly more expensive air filter would return a real 1-3 mpg improvement, they'd be on all production cars already. we as humans are prone to "confirmation bias;" if we expect an action to have a certain outcome, we'll unconsciously do things to try to reach that outcome. In the case of trying to get better fuel economy, if we change or add something to our cars in hopes of better mpg, we often subtly change our driving habits, almost always without realizing it. It's the change in driving style that gets you the improvement in fuel economy.

Actually, Volvo does make motorcycles...

As for the filters being on all production cars... No they wouldn't. This is the reason you can improve mileage on cars with aftermarket parts..because the Auto manufacturers and the Oil industry work together. Auto manufacturers can make any vehicle get better gas mileage by doing simple things such as better flowing filter/exhaust but they choose not to. Why? Because the more gas the car burns.. the more we fill our cars up. Then the oil industry makes more money. Do some research. The business world isn't filled with flowers and gumdrops.

Ever heard of the car in Germany that VW made that gets almost 300mpg?..
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/co...w-300mpg-coupe

Hmm.. I wonder why it's not in America? Ohh. maybe because its too efficient and will cut into the oil industries profits. This is just one of many, many cases.

Last edited by yourmom6990; 08-22-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:02 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

If the only thing you can do is insult me then don't bother replying.
Im not the one coming in here telling people they are wrong and they didnt get the results they measured on their cars.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 08-22-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

because the Auto manufacturers and the Oil industry work together.
if you have to resort to unfounded conspiracy theories- especially in 2014- then you've already lost the argument. Let me guess- you actually believe the "200 mpg carburetor" was a real thing, right?

Then the oil industry makes more money. Do some research.
NO. you're making the claim, YOU give ME evidence it's true. Don't make an unfounded statement then insist I disprove it.

The business world isn't filled with flowers and gumdrops.
no, but it's also subject to regulation; the CAFE mpg requirements are ratcheting up steadily over the next decade, and the automakers have to comply or else face stiff fines. a gain of 1 mpg can be the difference between compliance and non-compliance. a couple of bucks per car would be more than justifiable.

Im not the one coming in here telling people they are wrong and they didnt get the results they measured on their cars.
you didn't "measure" anything. I'm an engineer, I'm not interested in uncontrolled observations. If I can't repeat your test and get the same results, it's not a valid test. You can't just say "lol dude I burned two tanks of gas and got this" and expect anyone to accept that as proof of anything. there were numerous variables you didn't account for and couldn't control for. What you did was an observation, not a measurement.

Last edited by jz78817; 08-22-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:16 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

you didn't "measure" anything. I'm an engineer, I'm not interested in uncontrolled observations. If I can't repeat your test and get the same results, it's not a valid test. You can't just say "lol dude I burned two tanks of gas and got this" and expect anyone to accept that as proof of anything. there were numerous variables you didn't account for and couldn't control for. What you did was an observation, not a measurement.
Again, how the **** do you know what I did to get my data. Ive been running the 3.8L car for 14yrs and the 4.6L for 6yrs.

It doesnt take an "engineer" to figure out what kind of fuel milage a car is getting before and after a single modification.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Again, how the **** do you know what I did to get my data. Ive been running the 3.8L car for 14yrs and the 4.6L for 6yrs.

It doesnt take an "engineer" to figure out what kind of fuel milage a car is getting before and after a single modification.
Exactly. jz is a bigot. Let him think he knows what he's talking about. I think he's a little butt hurt.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

if you have to resort to unfounded conspiracy theories- especially in 2014- then you've already lost the argument. Let me guess- you actually believe the "200 mpg carburetor" was a real thing, right?

NO. you're making the claim, YOU give ME evidence it's true. Don't make an unfounded statement then insist I disprove it.

no, but it's also subject to regulation; the CAFE mpg requirements are ratcheting up steadily over the next decade, and the automakers have to comply or else face stiff fines. a gain of 1 mpg can be the difference between compliance and non-compliance. a couple of bucks per car would be more than justifiable.

For what it is worth I smell what you're shoveling.

People on this site are obsessed with aftermarket air intakes. Once someone overpays $300 - $400 for a plastic tube they want to believe it is giving them l33t horsepower and uber torque.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:34 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Exactly. jz is a bigot. Let him think he knows what he's talking about. I think he's a little butt hurt.
You keep using tha' word. I do no' think it means wha' you think it means.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

You keep using tha' word. I do no' think it means wha' you think it means.
It means you are close-minded. Only believing your opinion and not taking others into consideration.

Here is a link to perfectly describe how a CAI will increase MPG: http://www.carsdirect.com/car-mainte...ne-performance
This is in simple terms, so you should be able to understand it. Why don't you research a little bit before shooting down the facts.

here's another: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7574818_co...s-mileage.html

Ohh, and another: http://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-gu...e-gas-mpg.aspx

^^this one should answer the OP's question.

If you need anymore links to further describe the process or need me to break it down in simpler terms, please, just ask.

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
For what it is worth I smell what you're shoveling.

People on this site are obsessed with aftermarket air intakes. Once someone overpays $300 - $400 for a plastic tube they want to believe it is giving them l33t horsepower and uber torque.
Yes, he's shoveling nothing but smelly ****. The proof is in the numbers.

Last edited by yourmom6990; 08-23-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d

Some maybe, I bought the k&n filter only due to its reusability for my v6. It also ended up gaining me mpg. With the GT I did the same thing, but woth the whole CAI this time, however I also dynoed the car before I installed it and immediately after to see if it did increase HP and it did minimally. It too gained me a few mpg.

When I got my BBK CAI w/ tune, the car was redynoed stock, with k&n, and with BBK/tune to confirm gains in power.

Quick Reply: How can I save gas?