Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm an engineer, I'm not interested in uncontrolled observations.
Let me guess, masters in electronics, mechanics, aeronautics and always being smarter than everyone else? Guess what, you are not the only engineer on this website.
It's typical of you to take a position and cherry pick the questions that you answer and expect to convince us that you are the only one who is always right on all of the subjects.
Btw, the only mod I've seen you mention is the installation of the $600 Alpine Radio in your Ranger which sounded "screechy". Have you tried a K&N Filter?
Btw, buying a K&N saves me from buying 5 or 6 paper filters over the life of my cars, so it saves cash in filters.
If I was an OE I might argue that it''s better to buy new filters from the Factory and not from K&N.

Last edited by Chromeshadow; 08-23-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Buy a Prius
Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
For what it is worth I smell what you're shoveling.

People on this site are obsessed with aftermarket air intakes. Once someone overpays $300 - $400 for a plastic tube they want to believe it is giving them l33t horsepower and uber torque.
You are correct; aftermarket CAIs do very little, if anything, to increase power or fuel economy.
It's a common misconception that floats around and refuses to die.

What DOES increase power, and in certain cases fuel economy also, is the TUNE that goes with the CAI.
Alot of new people to the pony car scene always appear to fall for the misconception that the CAI itself gives power and completely disregard the TUNE that comes with the CAI.

There are CAIs that are advertised as increasing power of any significance without a tune; for those ads, I am with you; they are complete BS.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 08-23-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
Exactly. jz is a bigot. Let him think he knows what he's talking about. I think he's a little butt hurt.
He is an intellectual snob and has no priority in developing any meaningful social interaction. All he cares about is shoving his knowledge in everyone's face to make himself feel proud in his belief that he thinks he knows more than everyone else.

The ignore button is a nifty little weapon; once enough people has used it on him and he is talking only to air, he will move on and become someone else' problem.

And yes, he does get butt hurt when you rebut him and give him strong evidence that is contrary to what he posits.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Some maybe, I bought the k&n filter only due to its reusability for my v6. It also ended up gaining me mpg. With the GT I did the same thing, but woth the whole CAI this time, however I also dynoed the car before I installed it and immediately after to see if it did increase HP and it did minimally. It too gained me a few mpg.

When I got my BBK CAI w/ tune, the car was redynoed stock, with k&n, and with BBK/tune to confirm gains in power.
Many of the CAI-obsessed people here are anti K&N filters because of the oil.

I seriously doubt it improved your MPG....paper filters flow better over the life of it, as it turns out. The gains you are seeing are from the tune.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I seriously doubt it improved your MPG....paper filters flow better over the life of it, as it turns out.
Really? Are you an "engineer" also?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

No, and yes. That has nothing to do with my comments though. What I am is someone that doesn't have to follow the herd and can think for himself. I look at all the information that I can and figure things out for myself.

For what it is worth, I have owned K&N filters in the past and they make a good product. But they don't give you magic MPG.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Well I am strictly going by my results with my cars and not "what theoretically should occur"

Other people's results may vary but I saw in increase in mpg with only a drop in filter on one car and a tuneless CAI on the other with no other mods.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Not trying to stir the pot further, but he and jz are correct. The tune gives the power increase, and for me, it gave me a fraction of an MPG more when I did my hand calculations of my own car.

Speaking from my own experience, I bought an AirRaid CAI and BAMA tune.
Upon opening the AirRaid box, and reading the installation instructions, I saw that the AirRaid can be used with or without a tune.
To test this, I installed the AirRaid but didn't upload the tune. Granted, this is all only from my butt dyno, but the AirRaid by itself didn't register anything different than with the stock air intake.
Then, I uploaded the BAMA tune and my car really came to life.

From a more empirical standpoint; a few of my friends did the same thing; ran bone-stock cars with only the aftermarket CAI using stock tune, and then uploading the tune afterwards.
On the dyno, they saw anywhere from 10-15 more RWHP on the aftermarket tune and no RWHP increase with just the CAI and stock tune.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:16 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Not trying to stir the pot further, but he and jz are correct. The tune gives the power increase, and for me, it gave me a fraction of an MPG more when I did my hand calculations of my own car.

Speaking from my own experience, I bought an AirRaid CAI and BAMA tune.
Upon opening the AirRaid box, and reading the installation instructions, I saw that the AirRaid can be used with or without a tune.
To test this, I installed the AirRaid but didn't upload the tune. Granted, this is all only from my butt dyno, but the AirRaid by itself didn't register anything different than with the stock air intake.
Then, I uploaded the BAMA tune and my car really came to life.

From a more empirical standpoint; a few of my friends did the same thing; ran bone-stock cars with only the aftermarket CAI using stock tune, and then uploading the tune afterwards.
On the dyno, they saw anywhere from 10-15 more RWHP on the aftermarket tune and no RWHP increase with just the CAI and stock tune.
So, this "tune" thing that you speak of changes engine parameters and alters how the engine performs is what actually adds power....and not a hollow plastic tube that feeds into a throttle body that isn't changed? Tell me it isn't so!

Quick Reply: How can I save gas?