Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Like I said on my 2010, I did put a JLT CAI that required a tune, so running it without was not an option, but I did go from already tuned to the JLT tune and still gained a 1-2 MPG.
My 2010 was getting almost 30 MPG on all freeway from the 25MPG it got when I got it.
It actually had a higher MPG average than my 2013 does now (27.1MPG over the 26 the 13 is at right now on fuelly).
Old 08-23-2014, 12:46 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

Not trying to stir the pot further, but he and jz are correct. The tune gives the power increase, and for me, it gave me a fraction of an MPG more when I did my hand calculations of my own car.

Speaking from my own experience, I bought an AirRaid CAI and BAMA tune.
Upon opening the AirRaid box, and reading the installation instructions, I saw that the AirRaid can be used with or without a tune.
To test this, I installed the AirRaid but didn't upload the tune. Granted, this is all only from my butt dyno, but the AirRaid by itself didn't register anything different than with the stock air intake.
Then, I uploaded the BAMA tune and my car really came to life.

From a more empirical standpoint; a few of my friends did the same thing; ran bone-stock cars with only the aftermarket CAI using stock tune, and then uploading the tune afterwards.
On the dyno, they saw anywhere from 10-15 more RWHP on the aftermarket tune and no RWHP increase with just the CAI and stock tune.
So you have no proof that the CAI alone or even the tune increased anything other than what your butt told you?

Also. Unless you friends ran their car on the dyno 100% stock then again with just the CAI then again with the tune. How do they know there were no gains?

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d

So, this "tune" thing that you speak of changes engine parameters and alters how the engine performs is what actually adds power....and not a hollow plastic tube that feeds into a throttle body that isn't changed? Tell me it isn't so!
A stand alone CAI gave my car a RWHP gain. I have dyno sheets to prove it. It was minimal but it was a gain. Again personal results on my personal car. Others results may vary
Old 08-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

On the S197 4.6L, stand-alone CAI's typically gain 3-5 RWHP. CAI and a good custom tune gain 15-25 RWHP. MPG gains are minimal (1-2 MPG) at best providing you aren't getting into it. Usually, CAI & tunes will result in minor LOSS of fuel mileage since we buy the damned thing for performance, NOT economy.

I'm an engineer and and I approve this post.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If u want mpg slap a supercharger on. That will increase your mpg. When I changed my gears to 410s I actually got 22mpg from indiana to Atlanta. Of course I was trying to get better mpg. Typically you won't see this bc well nobody cares
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
So you have no proof that the CAI alone or even the tune increased anything other than what your butt told you?

Also. Unless you friends ran their car on the dyno 100% stock then again with just the CAI then again with the tune. How do they know there were no gains?

A stand alone CAI gave my car a RWHP gain. I have dyno sheets to prove it. It was minimal but it was a gain. Again personal results on my personal car. Others results may vary
I only mentioned my butt dyno because I was only expressing my own experience. I am not pushing it as any sort of reliable evidence because, just like you said, I did not have it on a dyno. I only mentioned it from what I perceived.

My bad, I didn't mention that my friends ran their cars 100% stock, or bone-stock before even buying CAIs. They bought CAIs and ran again, but didn't buy any tunes yet. Later on, they bought tunes and went back again.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:19 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Well, I haven't tried my SC FP1865 on the Mustang yet, I bought it for my FX4 F150 with 5.4 3v and 3.55 rears ... and I can say with no hesitation in back to backs, tune / no tune / tune on trips of several states away many times .... that even though when I bought it I was told it may help but not everyone saw an increase (I bought it for shifting and throttle response) ....

.... NO question but that the 87 Perf Tune gives me between 1 and 1.5 MPG miles after mile.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
This is in simple terms, so you should be able to understand it. Why don't you research a little bit before shooting down the facts.

here's another: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7574818_co...s-mileage.html
The first two sentences on that page:

"The simple answer to whether it will improve gas mileage is yes. Factory-fitted air intakes suck hot air from the engine, which is less efficient than cold air in a combustion engine."

which is incorrect. Go look under your hood and see where the airbox takes in air. You'll see that on most modern cars there's a duct going from the airbox to somewhere in front of the radiator but behind the grille, which is what the Mustang's airbox does. the factory setup already is a "cold air" intake. Hell, even my Ranger's is; the intake snorkel is behind the right headlamp.

Ohh, and another: http://www.4wheelparts.com/buyers-gu...e-gas-mpg.aspx

^^this one should answer the OP's question.
Sure does:

"Cold air intake - Cold air intakes will improve fuel efficiency, only to the extent that they are actually delivering colder air versus your stock intake."

given the Mustang's airbox already pulls air from outside the engine compartment (cold air,) what's left?

Yes, he's shoveling nothing but smelly ****. The proof is in the numbers.
what numbers? All that's been posted in this thread are a couple of unverifiable anecdotes and a bunch of proof by assertion.

Originally Posted by Nuke
On the S197 4.6L, stand-alone CAI's typically gain 3-5 RWHP. CAI and a good custom tune gain 15-25 RWHP. MPG gains are minimal (1-2 MPG) at best providing you aren't getting into it. Usually, CAI & tunes will result in minor LOSS of fuel mileage since we buy the damned thing for performance, NOT economy.
Yes, but again those gains are a WOT and high RPM where the airflow capability of the intake duct actually matters. I've never once disagreed with that. The OP started this thread talking about saving gas, so I went on the assumption he isn't driving around with the pedal on the floor all of the time.

Last edited by jz78817; 08-25-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
No, and yes. That has nothing to do with my comments though. What I am is someone that doesn't have to follow the herd and can think for himself. I look at all the information that I can and figure things out for myself.
Isn't it amazing how vicious people get when you disagree with the conventional wisdom?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
how can i save gas should never appear in a mustang forum.....If you bought a sport car and your worrying about gas mileage then your doing it all wrong.
+1

Fuel economy and Mustang should not be mentioned in the same sentance...

Asking how do I save on gas is like asking why do I go through tires so much (While someone posted a video doing donuts in said car that needs tires.)

You want to save gas.. here is a suggestion.. buy a prius or start walking.

Last edited by Gary Ugarek; 08-25-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

The ignore button is nifty
Thanks Jim, I visit this site to learn and have fun, not to get into pissing matches.
I do find myself drawn into them on occasion.

Quick Reply: How can I save gas?