Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Thanks Jim, I visit this site to learn and have fun, not to get into pissing matches.
I do find myself drawn into them on occasion.
It is the internet, if there wasn't a pissing contest what would the point of the internet be?

I don't want the drama myself but onoccassion I find myself in the midst of them through nothing but fault of my own need to jump in and poke people.

I am the 13 year old with a gas can and a fire pit...

Last edited by Gary Ugarek; 08-25-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

A little thing called the internet can shed some light on this issue....

http://www.edmunds.com/car-compariso...atorId=4896896

True Cost to Own is a tool that helps estimate the total five-year cost of buying and owning a vehicle. (TCOŽ) is the sum of eight components: Depreciation, Taxes and fees, Fuel, Maintenance, Repairs, Tax Credits, Financing costs (interest), and Insurance premiums.

Mustang 5.0 V8 - $55,930

Prius Hybrid - $44,181

$195.00 more per month....is it really worth it looking like a dick in your Prius, with everyone hating you going WOT in the fast lane, and holding up traffic?

Last edited by Roy_R; 08-25-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
$195.00 more per month....is it really worth it looking like a dick in your Prius
lmao hahaha
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
Isn't it amazing how vicious people get when you disagree with the conventional wisdom?
Truer words have not been spoken.

The aftermarket CAI is a placebo effect. I'm sure of it. The very fact that these aftermarket "cold" air intakes are not sealed and pull in hot hair from the engine compartment further proves that they are a waste.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Truer words have not been spoken.

The aftermarket CAI is a placebo effect. I'm sure of it. The very fact that these aftermarket "cold" air intakes are not sealed and pull in hot hair from the engine compartment further proves that they are a waste.
Are you going from personal experience or simply from what you have heard others say? Because like others that have posted in here, I am have had personaly measured and l documented gains.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:24 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Are you going from personal experience or simply from what you have heard others say? Because like others that have posted in here, I am have had personaly measured and l documented gains.
again, yours was not a controlled test and is nothing more than an anecdote.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:07 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
again, yours was not a controlled test and is nothing more than an anecdote.
And when do you drive a car in a controlled environment? If you drive your car in the same area on a regular basis the same way then the environment is relatively constant.

If the OP drives his car the same way in the same area and gets XX mpg avg over the course of a set time frame then installs a CAI/filter/muffler/blinker fluid or what ever and then drives the same area the same way and now gets 1-2 mpg avg more over the same time frame then the modification he made yielded a gain.

In a controlled environment these cars will get 45 mpg at a constant rpm/speed with no environmental factors.

your "engineer" thought process is why products get recalled. It works/looks good on paper, but doesn't work in the REAL world.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

your "engineer" thought process is why products get recalled. It works/looks good on paper, but doesn't work in the REAL world.
Ohh he's an engineer. This explains ALOT. His parents must be so proud.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

If the OP drives his car the same way in the same area and gets XX mpg avg over the course of a set time frame then installs a CAI/filter/muffler/blinker fluid or what ever and then drives the same area the same way and now gets 1-2 mpg avg more over the same time frame then the modification he made yielded a gain.
People are naturally and innately biased. We can't avoid it. Any sort of scientific tests that involves human interaction needs to take certain steps to account for this bias. The most popular and effective step is what's called a blind test, whereby the participants of said test don't know what aspect of the test they're actually involved in.

In your case, it would be two driving scenarios in which all you know is that you may or may not be driving with installed mods. This certainly becomes problematic when said mods can be audibly recognized, but the bottom line is, if you know what is being tested, you ARE going to bias the results of that test. That right there is a scientifically proven fact. There's simply no way you can say with certainty that you are in fact driving the same way. In fact, the audible feedback of these mods WILL have an impact on how you drive the car. That can be said with certainty. If it doesn't, you aren't human.

Hell, many studies/experiments/tests these days are done in a double blind manner, where not only the people being tested don't know which group they are in, but the people performing the test don't know which group the participants are in, because it has also been proven that the professionals running the experiment can bias the results as well.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
People are naturally and innately biased. We can't avoid it. Any sort of scientific tests that involves human interaction needs to take certain steps to account for this bias. The most popular and effective step is what's called a blind test, whereby the participants of said test don't know what aspect of the test they're actually involved in.

In your case, it would be two driving scenarios in which all you know is that you may or may not be driving with installed mods. This certainly becomes problematic when said mods can be audibly recognized, but the bottom line is, if you know what is being tested, you ARE going to bias the results of that test. That right there is a scientifically proven fact. There's simply no way you can say with certainty that you are in fact driving the same way. In fact, the audible feedback of these mods WILL have an impact on how you drive the car. That can be said with certainty. If it doesn't, you aren't human.

Hell, many studies/experiments/tests these days are done in a double blind manner, where not only the people being tested don't know which group they are in, but the people performing the test don't know which group the participants are in, because it has also been proven that the professionals running the experiment can bias the results as well.
This is true in short term testing procedures with immediate or nearly immediate results.

However, I believe, that with a longer test, like owning of a car, that it will be nearly impossible to continue to skew the results to favor the mod after an extended time. Especially when your goal from the beginning is to get the best possibly mileage.

Quick Reply: How can I save gas?