Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Just rememebr what Carroll Shelby said... (Paraphrased)

Horsepower sells cars

Torque is the factor in racing
Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
This is true in short term testing procedures with immediate or nearly immediate results.

However, I believe, that with a longer test, like owning of a car, that it will be nearly impossible to continue to skew the results to favor the mod after an extended time. Especially when your goal from the beginning is to get the best possibly mileage.
Time has no affect on human bias.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
Just rememebr what Carroll Shelby said... (Paraphrased)

Horsepower sells cars

Torque is the factor in racing
https://mustangforums.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

HP would not even exist if our engines weren't producing any torque.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
why do you keep bringing up dyno numbers? dyno pulls are done at wide-open throttle and nobody here is disputing that a CAI can flow better in this situation and give you hp gains.

what we're talking about is better fuel economy.
Nobody is disagreeing with you that what gains of just a CAI are at WOT (for the folks that actually see a power increase).
Nobody is disagreeing with the principles you presented neither.

BUT what some are saying is that they observed a small MPG increase in some cases, and what others are saying is that they observed an MPG loss. For me, with a tune and CAI, I observed an increase when I hand calculated my MPGs.

Was this a controlled experiment? Yes, but I admit it was very poorly controlled. What were my test conditions?
1) Summertime in Texas, consistent day to day 100 degreeF days in which most of my driving takes place. It did not rain for several months; typical Texas summertime drought.
2) Elevation: I stayed in Central Texas and never changed elevation to where ambient air pressures would be significantly affected.
2) Driving style: Daily driving for me, to and from work, a good amount of bumper to bumper rush hour for over 50% of the trip one way, fastest speed 30MPH in the gridlock. The other 50% is at posted speed limit of 70MPH. Rarely went WOT. Maybe only once a day or once every two days.
3) Control: This is when I had my car stock. No CAI, no tune; using 93octane gas from the Cheveron I always buy my gas at.
4) Modification: CAI and tune added, 93octane tune. Tuning table parameters: unknown. Global spark advanced but no idea to what. TiVCT tables, unknown. Fuel tables, unknown, etc. etc.

Result: With the CAI and tune, my best observed MPG was as much as 3MPG increase, but most of the time I saw maybe only 1MPG increase.
My driving style was steady, following this pattern day after day consistently. So there were no days to skew my driving style factor such as going to the track or dragstrip, for example, and went all out WOT.

IS my personal experiment a reliable test? From a scientific standpoint, no.
I did not have a dyno, I did not have any instruments to measure my fuel consumption other than my fuel gage. I could not control the weather but I didn't have to. It stayed hot all the time.

But can somebody replicate what I observed? Absolutely!
Buy a BAMA tune and AirRaid CAI, install on a fully broken in Mustang GT with manual transmission and 3.31:1 rear gears, drive in Central Texas during the long hot and dry summers and never leave the area, drive like you normally do all the time and don't skew your fuel consumption results by either hyper-miling or stomping on the gas and you can actually see a MPG increase after you add a CAI and tune, even if it is miniscule.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Time has no affect on human bias.
But it does. Humans are creatures of habit. Initially a person will be bias to a change, but given enough time that person will resort back to their normal routine out of habit.

Now, how long this takes varies from person to person.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Humans are creatures of habit
Edgar Rice Burroughs was a writer, not a Scientist.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Edgar Rice Burroughs was a writer, not a Scientist.
Touché. Haha
Old 08-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Moronix
1st Gear Member

The BEST way to get maximum mpg is to use your cruise control as much as possible. Humans pushing down and letting off the throttle is the biggest killer of mpg. (That and stop lights)
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Jonathanva99

Thank you all for your posts and your highly debated back and forth on the subject of gas consumption. The purpose of this post was the fact that I got kicked out of my house and was sleeping in my mustang so gas consumption became very important. It takes awhile to learn how to get comfortable but I was soon used to it. So if anyone ever gets into that situation, yes you can live out of your mustang. Luckily tomorrow this all ends because I found a room to rent. Can't thank you guys enough.

Jonathan from VA

U guys rock

BTW the back of a Walmart parking lot where people park their RVs is a great place to park for the night

Last edited by Jonathanva99; 08-30-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:38 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I've read on other forums that the Prius gets good mpg. I wouldn't know since I've got a mustang.
HAHAHAHA.....Good answer!

Quick Reply: How can I save gas?