Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustration: No good power to be had after a tune (Short of FI & Internals)???

Old 08-19-2014, 11:14 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Frustration: No good power to be had after a tune (Short of FI & Internals)???

This is a correct me if I am wrong kind of post. Keep in mind, my goal is to have a heck of a fun DD without going FI. I do not drag race, and about as serious as the car will ever get in that respect is autoX. All I want to do is have a better than stock NA GT. Maybe even frustrate some investment banker friends who are convinced no Mustang could ever hang with their Aston.

I asked what CAI + Tune would be a good bet. I was told Tunes there are in plenty and they are worth it, but the CAI is a waste of coin without supporting mods for better flow throughout the top end of the engine.

I researched mods throughout the top end. Notably, the Boss and CJ complete setups (Intake, TB, Manifold). I found that neither would be worth it because you don't see real benefits until 6800+ RPM. I have an intense interest in bolt ons, but 0 and I mean 0 desire to open the engine and do cams, valves & springs, etc. And I care about not having to buy a new motor, so the idea of running above the factory redline- which I believe is there for a reason- scares me. So, the bottom line is that since I am unwilling to endanger my motor by running above the redline and I am unwilling to crack the engine to raise the redline, both of these are very much no-gos. Plus, I am under the impression that the CJ kit is not DD friendly, and thats a problem for me.

So we are back to square one- tune is good. CAI + Tune = worthless CAI w/o support mods. I wonder how a CAI+ Tune + upgraded TB would do vs the tune alone on the stock manifold & airbox.

Yes, I know LTs are a great idea. However, I need to be able to pass emissions testing with functioning cats, so offroad X or H is a no-go. I've also read that high flow cats are 50/50 odds on whether they will operate with enough efficiency to pass emissions or not.

At the end of the day, I don't know whether to be mad at Ford for making a helluva car with very little lacking or mad that the little imperfections aren't there so I can turn wrenches and spend quality time with my baby.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:21 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

then the best bang for the buck considering you don't want to do FI or internal mods would be installing a Nitrous Oxide System IMO. I am unsure if a tune would be required but it probably wouldn't hurt
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Just get a good tune with the stock true CAI and you'll be happy.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
then the best bang for the buck considering you don't want to do FI or internal mods would be installing a Nitrous Oxide System IMO. I am unsure if a tune would be required but it probably wouldn't hurt
um, yes a tune would be required unless you don't mind cracking all of your pistons. Nitrous Oxide is N2O, under the heat of compression it breaks down releasing free diatomic oxygen (O2.) With all that extra oxygen you MUST add more fuel to keep the air:fuel ratio correct or else you'll suffer detonation and blow up the engine.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

There are some O/R set-ups, such as the JBA and I believe Pypes as well, that offer mid-pipes with the optional "legs" so you can choose to have the cats on or off.

Don't think I've ever heard of "support mods" to go along with CAI & Tune. I don't think theres a downside at all with upgrading the stock airbox to a CAI. If you do choose to stay with the stock box, you do have a few choices. This lets you re-use the stock airbox, remains 50-state legal and requires no tune. This one is somewhat the same deal. As for TB's, coming from a V-6 Stang, I learned on here that TB's were pretty much just an expensive paper weight. Not sure if that changes in the V8 world, I'm sure someone can chime in. I've seen the CJ need a new TB, not sure about the BOSS manifold, but you're not going that route.

I'm almost in the same boat, I wanna mod this beast and squeeze every last horse as safely possible without going FI. On my lisr is a CAI/Tune, 3.73s and an aluminum driveshaft. Good luck to ya
Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Gears. Or if you have an auto torque convertor
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Just to throw gas on the fire.

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/justi...t-car-stage-2/

Thoughts? I don't know how I feel about the claim he got 33.5 RWHP and only losing 5 lb/ft tq out of adding the mani and TB to an already tuned car with CAI. While (if you take the video at face value) he did lose peak torque, if you freeze it at just the right point (3:47) it looks like he gained torque between 2500-4000 RPM and then made more than stock after 4500. Also, some have claimed you need to run the motor to 8k rpm to get power- it looks like he started to gain HP at 5250 and carried strong gains of ~25 hp through to 7k.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Also: Yes, he did do catless X. We will see what comes from LTs. And N2) is just something I have no interest in. Soz. Not for me.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Take anything AM says with a grain of salt. A Boss Intake requires supporting mods and shift points of 7500-7600 to be effective.

You still haven't stated if your car is a manual or an auto.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:15 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Manual w/ 3.73s.

And I am well aware that AMs primary interest is in selling parts, not providing top notch product reviews. If you read the article AM CLAIMS 45hp gain but I took a screenshot of the dyno charts in the vid and it shows plain as day peak hp gain was 33.

Last edited by stags; 08-21-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frustration: No good power to be had after a tune (Short of FI & Internals)???