Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default New Tires

I'm looking for new tires for my 2010 Mustang. I've seen these on Pep Boys website and like the tread pattern, Falken Ziex ZE329. Any opinions on these or any other tires. The Falken's are just under$700 for 4 with installation.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

They'd cost you more, but Michelin Pilot Super Sports are really the best. They are a summer only tire. If you're looking for an all season tire, the Michelin AS3 is fantastic. But either of these will cost you more than the Falkens-but you get what you pay for.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:00 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I run the falken tires on both my fox and sixxer and have been very happen with them. for the GT I went with the factory bfgoodrich again
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

What I'm looking for is all season tires. I live in NJ and the last few winters we've had plenty of snow. I'm also looking at Cooper Zeon rs3-a tires. My brother just bought some and says they handle great in the rain. I've always liked Michelins but Pep Boys does have a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Michelins are exempt from the sale.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:25 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
What I'm looking for is all season tires. I live in NJ and the last few winters we've had plenty of snow. I'm also looking at Cooper Zeon rs3-a tires. My brother just bought some and says they handle great in the rain. I've always liked Michelins but Pep Boys does have a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Michelins are exempt from the sale.
I have the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I absolutely love them, great grip and perform great in rain and snow. Also they are one of the few ultra high performance tires with a 50k mile tread wear warranty.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I will throw another vote for the continentals. i run them on my Touareg and they perform very well.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

First off - what sort of uses do these tires need to cope with, what size tires are you looking for, and how wide are the rims that you're going to put them on? It's hard to recommend any particular tire without knowing this, as not all tire mfrs make every tire size in every tire model in their lineup. In any event, I would not be shopping at Pep Boys or any of their competitors for performance tires - they're really just mass-market retailers. I couldn't even find

Anyway, here's what I found so far.

The ZE-329 appears to be a forerunner, version, or offshoot of the tire that Falken sells under their own name as the Azenis PT722. Any tire with "Touring" in its name is not likely to feel very sporty to drive . . . kind of at odds with what you'd expect a Mustang to drive like. Deep tread does tend to soften cornering response, making the tire feel a bit sluggish about changing directions compared to something like the Michelins mentioned earlier. Red boldface formatting for emphasis mine, black boldface Falken's.
Originally Posted by Falken tire site
All-Season Premium Performance Touring

The AZENIS PT722 A/S is Falken’s first ultra high performance all-season touring tire. It has a deep tread depth and long lateral grooves that help prevent hydroplaning and provide stability in wet conditions. The asymmetric tread pattern provides even wear and excellent performance while the optimized construction ensures ride comfort is never compromised. Targeted toward luxury vehicle owners, the PT722 is available in 65 sizes in V, W, and Y speed ratings with diameters ranging from 16-inch to 22-inch.
You should know that Falken does have a history of over-billing the performance side of their so-called "performance all-season" tires (I've been there). So I don't trust what putting "high performance" first in their description of these tires may be leading you to believe.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-24-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Have you looked at Tire Rack? They have some good prices and they include Michelins. If there is any part on your car you should not cheap out on it's tires.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on what I'm looking for in tires. My car is a DD. I'm more interested in comfort and a smooth ride, but want some performance. Also I need tires that can handle ok in the snow. The Coopers that I'm looking at are under $700 out the door with the sale at Pep Boys. The same tires elsewhere are closer to $900. What I like about the Coopers are the use them as standard tires on the Roush, although the summer ones, I need the all season ones.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:31 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

What tires are currently on your car? Do you like them or are they something that you can't wait to replace. If you like them I wouldn't take a chance with another brand for that kind of money. What happens if you don't like or arent comfortable with the new tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Tires