Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

Ummmm, yeah, the continental DWS are about $1200 out the door, haha. Keep in mind tires you get what you pay for more often than not.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I've had both the Continental DWS and currently running the Cooper Zeon RS3-A for over 10K miles.

I prefer the Conti's for snow and the Coopers for rain. I think Cooper's are a pretty good quality tire personally. The Cooper's tread pattern looks a little more aggressive on the car FWIW.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on what I'm looking for in tires. My car is a DD. I'm more interested in comfort and a smooth ride, but want some performance. Also I need tires that can handle ok in the snow. The Coopers that I'm looking at are under $700 out the door with the sale at Pep Boys. The same tires elsewhere are closer to $900.
That helps . . . but what size or sizes are you looking at getting? This also has some bearing on cost, and $700, $900, or $1200 OTD doesn't help when you can't even be sure that people are talking about the same size. FWIW, Tire Rack seems to list the DWS in the $200-ish range, per tire, without tax or shipping, road hazard warranty, or mounting and balancing. That's a long way from $1200.

What I like about the Coopers are the use them as standard tires on the Roush, although the summer ones, I need the all season ones.
Be very careful how far you extend somebody else's tire choice. Even when it's within the same tire mfr.

I've had very good experience recently with two different Michelin tire models, but I still wouldn't ever shop for anything in their 'Primacy', 'Energy', 'Defender', 'Premier' or 'Symmetry' lines.

Norm
Old 08-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Honestly (and based on over 30 years of PA, NJ, MI and IL winter driving), there's not one all-season tire out there that performs anything close to a dedicated winter tire. Everything is a compromise. An AS tire that does perform better than other AS's will under-perform elsewhere. If you can swing it, buy a good performance tire for the 7-8 months that you can get away with it and but a winter tire (and a cheap set of wheels) for those 4-5 months of crap weather.

If you MUST only have 1 tire, then use the various tire websites customer ratings/feedback to help in choosing. You're driving a lightweight, rear-end underweight, 315 crank HP vehicle and not an SUV. Despite the morons that claim "I can go anywhere in the snow with my Mustang" (mainly because they can AFTER the roads are plowed or other cars have blazed the trail), you truly cannot.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:01 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Honestly (and based on over 30 years of PA, NJ, MI and IL winter driving), there's not one all-season tire out there that performs anything close to a dedicated winter tire. Everything is a compromise. An AS tire that does perform better than other AS's will under-perform elsewhere. If you can swing it, buy a good performance tire for the 7-8 months that you can get away with it and but a winter tire (and a cheap set of wheels) for those 4-5 months of crap weather.

If you MUST only have 1 tire, then use the various tire websites customer ratings/feedback to help in choosing. You're driving a lightweight, rear-end underweight, 315 crank HP vehicle and not an SUV. Despite the morons that claim "I can go anywhere in the snow with my Mustang" (mainly because they can AFTER the roads are plowed or other cars have blazed the trail), you truly cannot.
I'm just looking for tires to get me through mild snow. I know a mustang not like a SUV but I also have a short commute to work and in heavy snow my wife would just take me to work. Don't really have the space to store winter tires anyway. I decided to go with the Coopers based on reviews in Car & Driver and Road & Track. I ordered the UHP all seasons. I also found some old treads on this board with members who have them and are happy with them. I'll report after I've had the tires a few weeks to give my opinion on them. The tires I currently have are the pirellis that came with the car, the 18 all season ones. I haven't been happy with them since the car turned over to 10000 miles. They started to develop wheel shake and a high speed wheel balance did fix it but now it's back and the tires are about 80 percent worn and showing some dry rot. The tires are at least 5 years old but probably older( I bought the car in 09). Thanks for everyone thoughts.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:45 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

I just got the Cooper tires installed. So far I'm happy with them, although I've only driven on them for 15 miles. Next week I'm making a 2500 mile road trip. NJ to MN and back home. I'll report on my take on tires when I get home.