Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window indexing and auto problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Window indexing and auto problem

Hey Guys,

I am having an unusual problem that developed with my driver's side door. The car was in a garage for about 3 days; went in working, came out with an issue.

My window will not index up when I close my door, nor will the auto close-window feature work when I pull up on the button (window going up). What is weird is that the door will index down when I open it and it will auto open the window when I press the button down (window goes down).

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The Owners Manual has a section on how to recalibrate the windows. I don't recall the step by step but it's very simple. The question that I'd have is why did this occur after only 3 days? This would suggest to me a voltage issue so I'd begin keeping close tabs on the battery and alternator; perhaps go as far as getting them load-tested.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Would the battery or alternator be an issue for only one side?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Would the battery or alternator be an issue for only one side?
it could, there's stories on here about all sorts of weird things which happen when the alternator starts crapping out.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Owners manual......strange that it would have info in it.....lol

Any window issues should always be addressed with the recalibrating method first.....there is also a method of pulling the fuse while the window is being run down with the door closed.....it is like a master reset. Research the exact method.....
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
it could, there's stories on here about all sorts of weird things which happen when the alternator starts crapping out.
That is just weird, I would never have guessed that would be possible. For only one feature on one side of the car to stop working because of that. I guess it would complete the circle though, I just replaced the alternator while at a show on my Corvette.

If I need to replace the alternator, is a Duralast one good enough? I konw those have lifetime warranties.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Owners manual......strange that it would have info in it.....lol
You know, I always neglect to check the owner's manual when I have an issue that doesn't have some sort of indicator light. I just go to the forum. Its a hard habit to break.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

That is just weird, I would never have guessed that would be possible. For only one feature on one side of the car to stop working because of that. I guess it would complete the circle though, I just replaced the alternator while at a show on my Corvette.

If I need to replace the alternator, is a Duralast one good enough? I konw those have lifetime warranties.
parts store alternators are best avoided.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

You know, I always neglect to check the owner's manual when I have an issue that doesn't have some sort of indicator light. I just go to the forum. Its a hard habit to break.
I know what you mean....

Try this for that window...

FORD: 2005-2007 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may exhibit issues with the functional power window features including one touch up, short drop, and bounce back.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the root cause is incorrect or no window initialization of the Smart Window Motor.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform a de-initialization procedure of the smart motor / side window glass, followed by re-initialization procedure.

NOTE: WINDOW RE-INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOORS CLOSED.

NOTE: ON CONVERTIBLES, WINDOWS COULD BOUNCE BACK IF THE SIDE GLASS IS OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. REFER TO THE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM), SECTION 501-11.

NOTE: CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE DOOR SEAL OR MIRROR SEAL IS NOT ROLLED OVER OR BINDING. ALSO, THAT THERE IS NO OBSTRUCTION IN GLASS SEALING AREA AND THE GLASS FIT AND/OR REGULATOR MECHANICAL FASTENING IS NOT LOOSE.

DE-INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

De-initialization (un-learning) of the smart window motor clears the memory of the module and shuts off the One-Touch UP, Bounce Back and Short Drop functions.
The smart window motors can be de-initialized in two (2) different ways:
Disconnect the battery cable from the battery WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
Remove the window motor fuse from the Power Distribution Box WHILE THE WINDOW IS MOVING.
After performing one of the above procedures, the smart motor must be re-initialized, see Initialization Procedure.
INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

INITIALIZATION MUST BE PERFORMED WITH THE DOOR CLOSED! (For convertibles, top and the quarter glass must be in the up / closed position.)
From the window switch, perform the following steps without stopping:
Operate the window UP and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
Operate the window DOWN and stall for 2 seconds. (Hold The Switch)
The smart window motor will be initialized and one-touch-UP and Short Drop will be operational.
Cycle the window glass an additional five (5) times to set the window "Soft Stop" for the down position.
TIP - VOLTAGE RANGE OF OPERATION: 9-16 VOLTS (AT THE MOTOR)

The smart motor will ONLY function in the 9-16 volt range; if the voltage at the smart motor drops below 9 volts, the window may not function properly or prematurely stop moving
If the voltage drops below 9 volts while the motor is moving, the motor will become de-initialized (one-touch UP and Short Drop will be inoperable)
If the motor becomes de-initialized due to low voltage, see initialization procedure. for instructions
Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I read the manual and it had the two second procedure that was at the bottom of your reply. It worked like a charm. We will see over the next couple of days if the issue continues to happen. If it does, I will definitely go to the auto parts store and have them check the alternator / battery.

Thanks everyone.