Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The old dilemma...auto or manual

Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Default The old dilemma...auto or manual

I plan on buying a CPO low mileage 14' or maybe a new '15 GT in about a year so I have time to mull this over. I've been driving a manual car since the 80s so skill is not an issue.

I plan on driving the car 2 or 3 times a week, maybe once to work then tooling around on the weekend. No plans to drag race or track it but I like to row gears and put it through the paces. I never rev and drop the clutch, just not my style. Are the manuals reasonably reliable? Generally, how long does a clutch last?

I don't mind doing some mods like adding a shifter bracket or other things to improve the shifting. In fact, I love to tinker with bolt on stuff.

Am I going to notice a big difference in performance from auto to manual? I don't encounter much stop and go traffic so commuting is not a problem.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I think you already answered your own question....
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Andover Stang
1st Gear Member

If Commuting is no issue get the Manual......

More fun and better resale......
Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Tubra
2nd Gear Member

Auto is quicker, especially tuned. I DD the hell out of mine and drive it hard. Manual is fun and for your purposes looks like the right choice.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:49 AM
El Manny

Nothing better than a V8, rear wheel drive with a manual transmission. If you are not going to be in stop and go traffic then go for the manual.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like manual is the way to go for you!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

GenX - I see no reason in your description to even consider an automatic.

If you aren't drag racing it or getting a little lurch on all your upshifts because the revs aren't matched, there's little reason to expect rapid clutch wear - you can get these cars rolling from at or nearly at idle rpm much of the time, adding throttle only after you've started to move. And if you shift with reasonable care, maybe think endurance racer vs drag racer here, you shouldn't have any issues with the transmission.

Norm
Old 08-26-2014, 07:51 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

No dilemma here, these cars are fun with either. That being said, If you already know how to drive a manual, the choice is a no-brainer.

I have owned all sorts of manual cars and the Mustang can hang in there with the best of them as far as shifting goes.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input everyone. My main concern here is trans longevity. I have been leaning toward the manual but have read about some issues with the manuals. Seems to be more with the '11-'12 models from what I have read. Hopefully Ford ironed out the '14 and '15.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

go auto
i have driven over 1000 000 miles in my life..have driven ferraris bentleys ect..
never ever have i driven a car with such a noisy notchy gearbox..terrible unpredictable clutch..
i had 2 manuals and hated both...i drive my bosses manual bmw and audi a lot..the mustang felt nasty in comparison...clutch pedal travel is so long aswell..unless u got long legs stay well away

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The old dilemma...auto or manual