Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock tires expiring, first time shopper help

Old 08-28-2014, 04:19 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Default stock tires expiring, first time shopper help

I dont think oem tires are going make it over 20k. Im planning to get new ones soon but so many choices and no tire buying exprience. Long story short, im looking for all season/summer tires thats quite, long lasting, sticks well and reasonable pricing. Its a street/fun car, it will not likely to see track anytime soon. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 08-28-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:52 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I generally hop onto DiscountTires and read reviews. If something looks particularly good, then I'll google it and read reviews from other sites. Or google the tire name and "mustang" together and you often find forum posts of people using a specific tire on the same type of car.

But tire preferences vary wildly, so good luck finding a consensus .
Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
I dont think oem tires are going make it over 20k. Im planning to get new ones soon but so many choices and no tire buying exprience. Long story short, im looking for all season/summer tires thats quite, long lasting, sticks well and reasonable pricing. Its a street/fun car, it will not likely to see track anytime soon. Any suggestions?
I just replaced my oem tires with Cooper rs3-a. So far I like them haven't driven many miles with them though. I spend more time researching tires than I did buying the car itself. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

whats optimal tire height/width for oem 18in wheels?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Depends on wheel width but usually 255/45 which have a wheel width range of 8-9.5".
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You need to stay as close to the OE tire O.D. unless you have a tuner to adjust the PCM's revs/mile parameter. Sites like tirerack.com have wheel specs for all the tires they list.

Being in Florida, especially the southern half, you can manage with a decent summer tire as long as the compound doesn't turn to concrete below 40-50 degrees.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM
JimC

I have the Nitto Motivo all season tires and have been very happy with those. I had them on my 2006 as well and when it was time for new tires on the 2013 bought them again. Quiet, good handling in the rain, and in the snow.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You need to stay as close to the OE tire O.D. unless you have a tuner to adjust the PCM's revs/mile parameter. Sites like tirerack.com have wheel specs for all the tires they list.

Being in Florida, especially the southern half, you can manage with a decent summer tire as long as the compound doesn't turn to concrete below 40-50 degrees.
my oem wheels are 18x8 i think all around, does that mean only 235/245/255 tire height? whats the difference in performance?

What kind of material in tires should i look for?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Quite often the wheel size is stamped on the wheel facing in (back of wheel). If not, you should be able to find the info elsewhere. Once you know your wheel width, you can look for tires that fit your wheel AND use any of the online tire size calcultors to compare your choices to the OE tire's O.D..

As far as material, just use the tire rating info for wet and dry traction, etc, on websites such as tirerack.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

What I usually do when shopping for tires is to first go to Discount Tire and enter my car to get this...

Original Equipment Size

Take note of the original size, then click the "View Optional/Plus Tire Sizes" link to get this...

Plus Sizes

Using a new tab in your browser, go to http://1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator (or see example below)

Enter your stock size, then enter some sizes from the Plus Sizes on the Discount Tire page. This will show you the O.D. of the stock tire compared to the O.D. of the others you've chosen, you want a tire close to the original O.D. If the O.D. is larger or smaller than original, you'll need a tuner for setting the tire size to correct the speedo.

I chose a couple to compare for example...

http://1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size...0R18/255-45R18

It will also show the Rim Width Range. Narrow rims will improve ride quality at the expense of handling, Wide rims will improve handling at the expense of ride quality, Choosing a rim width at the middle of the range will give a balance between ride quality and handling.

Once you get that worked out, read some reviews and make a choice.

Last edited by waykooljr; 08-29-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stock tires expiring, first time shopper help