Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holy crap i almost crashed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
Tires seems fine except for slight feathering. Theres a slightly left pull under normal driving too. Its not bad but under wot its violent. I think its alignment issue. Tire kingdom dont display caster, im wondering if i knocked it out spec when i hit the big pot hole a month back
Feathering and a pull....alignment issue (toe related)...unless you've done some off-roading to wear out the suspension components. Although, over time, bushings and suspension do settle so if you've never had it aligned since the factory, I wouldn't be surprised if it needs one now. Off-roading or not.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Likely a worn lower rear control arm bushing.
This ↑↑↑

Especially if the rear LCAs have been replaced with poly-bushed aftermarket LCAs - a common mod. The poly itself can crack, split, and fail if it's been beat on with enough hard launches. I'd check the driver side LCA first.

Norm
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
This ↑↑↑

Especially if the rear LCAs have been replaced with poly-bushed aftermarket LCAs - a common mod. The poly itself can crack, split, and fail if it's been beat on with enough hard launches. I'd check the driver side LCA first.

Norm
My car is stock for the most part except for adj phb and roush a/b.

I just got home from the alignment shop, it was my driver wheel toe was out. I wot again with huge fear but problem was alignment. Im good now.
Thanks everyone for helping.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:28 PM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

How far out was it?

I drove my car for a couple days after installing lowering springs with almost a quarter inch toe out on both sides (yes, nearly half inch total toe). Didn't really have any issues driving it at all, and I went WOT plenty of times. Of course, it was fairly even from side to side, so it may be more of an issue if one side is way off from the other.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

When you hit that pothole, something probably bent that made the toe go way out.

First question, was the steering wheel a bit off center right afterward?
Second question, did they replace any parts (like the knuckle/"spindle" because the steering arm was what bent)?

My understanding is that when any change is made ton the alignment settings on a vehicle with stability control, the steering angle sensor needs to be reset, else the stability control can do some unexpected things that typically involve the brakes at one wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if pothole damage could have brought it on by its effect on alignment (obviously without giving the SAS its reset).

Norm
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
When you hit that pothole, something probably bent that made the toe go way out.

First question, was the steering wheel a bit off center right afterward?
Second question, did they replace any parts (like the knuckle/"spindle" because the steering arm was what bent)?

My understanding is that when any change is made ton the alignment settings on a vehicle with stability control, the steering angle sensor needs to be reset, else the stability control can do some unexpected things that typically involve the brakes at one wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if pothole damage could have brought it on by its effect on alignment (obviously without giving the SAS its reset).

Norm
I dont the that alignment sheet with me right now. Only driver front wheel toe is off and it was pretty close to the left edge of the degree scale. I think its the pirelli stock tires. I find them to be alignment sensitive and nosiy after 3k miles.

@Norm
I hit the pothole with passenger side a month back. It slightly bent the inner side rim but steering wheel were striaght maybe slightly off. No suspension were damaged as far as they can tell and alignment came out good. One thing i dont understand is when i get alignment at tire kingdom the print out shows no caster. The guy told me theres no caster and mess around the computer and told me he had to "create caster to get a reading". I normally get a print out at ford dealerships.

Another weird thing is i didnt expect the driver wheel since last week i hit another semi large put hole with passenger side. But passenger side reading were fine. Alot of potholes is popping up everywhere with all the rain.