Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crazy f*cking week

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:05 AM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
It is alittle uncalled for but i was frustrated at the time.

Im planning to get a torque wrench tomorrow or so. It will come handy when i dip my wheels next month. I already driven about 100miles now, brakes havent pulsate yet. My rotor arent wraped are they?

Now when i get the torque wrench, can i loosen and retorque while wheels are on the ground?
Should i get 1/2 in torque wrench? This are acorn lug nut correct?
Takes longer than a few days or 100 miles unless they're so far out of consistent torque. From what you described, they aren't that bad.

When you get your torque wrench, make sure you get a decent 6 point 1/2" drive socket in the correct size. Sorry, I'm at work or I'd go out and check what size the OE lug nuts are. Probably something like 3/4"/19mm but you'll figure it out.

Loosen the lugs on the ground enough that when you go back in the other direction, you're under the torque spec. If you have a "click-type" wrench, you'll know when you hit the right reading on tightening. If you have a beam wrench, just be sure to "float the pointer" - don't let the pointer touch anything when you're at the correct reading. If you have one of the fancy ones with a gauge on it - you've got more disposable income than I do! LOL

Again, getting the torque at exactly 100 ft/lbs is less important than having them all at a consistent reading. And remember to tighten them in the "star pattern" to be more consistent.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GTRaider
Takes longer than a few days or 100 miles unless they're so far out of consistent torque. From what you described, they aren't that bad.

When you get your torque wrench, make sure you get a decent 6 point 1/2" drive socket in the correct size. Sorry, I'm at work or I'd go out and check what size the OE lug nuts are. Probably something like 3/4"/19mm but you'll figure it out.

Loosen the lugs on the ground enough that when you go back in the other direction, you're under the torque spec. If you have a "click-type" wrench, you'll know when you hit the right reading on tightening. If you have a beam wrench, just be sure to "float the pointer" - don't let the pointer touch anything when you're at the correct reading. If you have one of the fancy ones with a gauge on it - you've got more disposable income than I do! LOL

Again, getting the torque at exactly 100 ft/lbs is less important than having them all at a consistent reading. And remember to tighten them in the "star pattern" to be more consistent.
Don't loosen then retighten the lugs while the car is on the ground. That's an even better way to mess up the rotors/lugs/balance (and possibly the rims). Mustang Wheels use the Acorn style lugs which means they can shift under severe weight if improperly tightened.

Get your jack under the car first and jack it up until the tire is about to lift off the ground, THEN break your lugs loose. After they're all broken loose, lift the tire up to where it no longer touches the ground. Tighten all the lugs (Star pattern) using the torque wrench. If you can tighten them down to torque with the tire still up in the air, great, you're done. If not, drop the tire down just enough to keep the tire from rotating while you tighten to spec.

One all the lugs are tightened to spec, THEN drop the tire back down to ground.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-15-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Don't loosen then retighten the lugs while the car is on the ground. That's an even better way to mess up the rotors/lugs/balance (and possibly the rims). Mustang Wheels use the Acorn style lugs which means they can shift under severe weight if improperly tightened.

Get your jack under the car first and jack it up until the tire is about to lift off the ground, THEN brake your lugs loose. After they're all broken loose, lift the tire up to where it no longer touches the ground. Tighten all the lugs (Star pattern) using the torque wrench. If you can tighten them down to torque with the tire still up in the air, great, you're done. If not, drop the tire down just enough to keep the tire from rotating while you tighten to spec.

Thanks for the correction Derf00. You're advice does make sense - mine didn't so much.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

Get your jack under the car first and jack it up until the tire is about to lift off the ground, THEN break your lugs loose. After they're all broken loose, lift the tire up to where it no longer touches the ground. Tighten all the lugs (Star pattern) using the torque wrench. If you can tighten them down to torque with the tire still up in the air, great, you're done. If not, drop the tire down just enough to keep the tire from rotating while you tighten to spec.

Its alitlle confusing, so jack the wheels off ground and loosen the lugs. Then torque it down while its in the air? I thought you were suppose to firmly tighten them down while its above ground and torque them down after its lowered.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 PM
tradosaurus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
I was driving like normal, not stepping on it, just cruising at 39mph. I guess i just met an A hole today. Everyone else seem to get away with murder (speeding) but me and i was driving the slowest. This A hole was try to tell me i was going 47 and he was nice enough to write me down for 39. I didnt argue with him but inside i knew he was out to get me and theres nothing i can do at that time since i did technically went over the speed limit.

I called my friend today whos also a police officer that works in my area. I told him about the ticket, just ranting and he told me hell try to see if he could get him to drop it. Hopefully it works out. Almost 6 years of driving and never got a ticket, im trying to keep it this way.
39 in a 30 is bullcrap.

The freeways in DFW area are 60 mph but try doing that and see if you don't get run over.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:18 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

ive been pulled over many times in my years behind the wheel of a mustang. highest was 97 in a 60 when i was about 25. did defensive driving and that was that. recently got pulled over for the first time ever on a motorcycle...again..97 in a 60. I knew i was speeding..honestly didnt think i was going that fast but i was trying to get away from a flat bed trailer throwing dirt at me. so i did do a burst of speed to get around him (an R1 has amazing passing power haha). do i blame the cops...nope I do whatever i can to keep the tickets off my record. and i move along. we all speed. but how often are we caught speeding and ticketed? I just take the few tickets i do recieve and be happy its not another time i was out on a backroad going at a higher speed or anything.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRaider

When you get your torque wrench, make sure you get a decent 6 point 1/2" drive socket in the correct size.
Amen to that. I had a Craftsman socket crack. Now I use a Snap-on. Get a socket designed for an air wrench, even if you do your work using a hand wrench. The sockets designed for air wrenches are much sturdier.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Sorry you had a bad day, but remember that you were having a bad day before the cop pulled you over. Making him the recipient of all of the things that happen to you in the course of your life before you meet him isn't fair to anyone involved.

2 weeks ago, they laid off more than half of our staff and now my workload has shot up, my boss is a jerk, etc... and that afternoon I got a ticket for 73 in a 55. The cop originally had me at 84 then he shot again to capture the 73. Does it suck? Yeah. Is it his fault that many of my friends are out of work, my job load has increased greatly and I work for a crap company? No. I was respectful towards him and thanked him for doing a good job and not nailing me for the faster read.

In the end, life sometimes is just going to kick you in the nuts so you have to nut up and keep on trucking. It's not a critique of how you responded, it's just a reminder that maybe sometimes stepping back and compartmentalizing the things going on in your life is the right response.