Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth And Google Maps No Voice Prompts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:35 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

A. The voice prompts only when bluetooth audio as a source -- unfortunately that's the design of the non-nav unit. It's actually one of the motivating factors for me to upgrade to an aftermarket deck.

B. You can set it to not "auto play" bluetooth audio when selected as such. What I did when navigating in the past was to also just listen to bluetooth or pandora, etc.

My wife's '14 Focus ST has the much nicer MyFordTouch w/ the factory nav, and like my aftermarket deck, regardless of input chosen the nav gives directions. It's a nice UI and such, but the power of the deck is nowhere near the aftermarket setup in the Mustang.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Double Tap
I just did the master rest and this is not solve the problem.
What do you mean by being on Bluetooth audio ?
The big problem is when I turn the music off I only get the voice prompts from Google maps through the speakers. No AM FM or Sirius.
I have not tried to make a call yet so I don't what will happen.
I need to listen to Sirius or the radio and get voice prompts just as if I were using the SYNC driving directions.
My SYNC subscription ended this week after the three year period was up and I don't think it's worth renewing. I found it a very poor service for driving directions.
I don't know if AppLink is supported on a non-nav system.
I hope we both find a way to make it work.
I think that Ford did this in order to get people to subscribe to SYNC Services if they keep the car more than 36 months. I might not mind doing that except the service is so crappy I feel as if I am throwing away $5 a month for nothing.
Hi Double Tap,

The SYNC system is designed to automatically connect to your phone when you enter the vehicle (as long as it has been previously paired). You will be able to make calls via Bluetooth by pressing the VOICE COMMAND button on your steering wheel and saying DIAL followed by the phone number. If you have the phonebook downloaded, you can also say CALL NAME. Even though this type of connection isn’t the same as Bluetooth audio, you should still hear the system say PLEASE SAY A COMMAND and a small beep after pressing that VOICE COMMAND button. Are you hearing that voice prompt? Please let me know if you’re referring to a different voice prompt. I may not be understanding the question clearly.

In order to switch to Bluetooth audio, press the VOICE COMMAND button and say BLUETOOTH AUDIO. This is great if you want to stream music from your phone. It takes any audio from the phone speakers, and transfers it to the speakers of the car instead. The system won’t allow Bluetooth audio to stream at the same time as a different source (i.e. radio). Many people like to stream music from the phone while their navigation app is also playing. This may be a good option for you .

Feel free to send me a PM with your VIN if you’d like me to verify whether or not your vehicle is equipped with AppLink.

Kim
Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 AM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam

The system won’t allow Bluetooth audio to stream at the same time as a different source (i.e. radio).
It would be really nice if it did. Or better yet, interrupt the selected audio source to play Bluetooth. Like what happens when the phone rings, the audio shuts off, then if you answer the phone it switches over.

Many people like to stream music from the phone while their navigation app is also playing. This may be a good option for you .
The only drawbacks to this are data limits and audio quality depending on your service and content providers.
Feel free to send me a PM with your VIN if you’d like me to verify whether or not your vehicle is equipped with AppLink.

Kim
Kim, the reason I mentioned this is I was wondering if the Bluetooth streaming program (e.g. Google maps) was able to overcome the audio source limitation. I.e., could an AppLink compatible program interrupt a different audio source to make sure it is heard? Maybe we can blame this on Google
Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

Google maps is just a nav app, one of many. Doesn't have anything to do with Ford's applink
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
It would be really nice if it did. Or better yet, interrupt the selected audio source to play Bluetooth. Like what happens when the phone rings, the audio shuts off, then if you answer the phone it switches over. …
The only drawbacks to this are data limits and audio quality depending on your service and content providers. …
Kim, the reason I mentioned this is I was wondering if the Bluetooth streaming program (e.g. Google maps) was able to overcome the audio source limitation. I.e., could an AppLink compatible program interrupt a different audio source to make sure it is heard? Maybe we can blame this on Google
Hey berzerk_1980,

Since members of Ford’s Product Development Team periodically skim through the ideas on this website, I encourage you to post product suggestions here: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/

Did you know that you can still play music from your phone’s music library without using extra data? The data will only be used if you stream music apps that need internet access.

There are specific apps that work with the SYNC AppLink feature. The Google Maps app is not currently on the list of supported apps: http://support.ford.com/tools/applin...3-0022197af4af

Kim