Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Passenger Side Window Issues - 2006 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:26 PM
softserve

Question Weird Passenger Side Window Issues - 2006 Mustang

I’ve tried my best to figure this one out, but so far no luck. I have a 2006 Mustang and am having issues with the passenger side window. It’s seemingly not the typical problem I’ve seen already online.

The Problem

When I first start the car, I cannot roll the passenger window down at all. After the car has been running a few minutes, I can roll down the passenger window with both switches. But no matter how much or little I roll it down, I cannot roll it back up.

The only way it goes back up is if I turn off the car and restart it. Once the engine starts, the passenger side window goes up on its own.
There are no problems at all with the driver’s side window.

What I’ve Tried

I’ve searched and tried the following fixes:

1. Checked all of the fuses, they’re fine.
2. Unplugged the battery for 30+ minutes to reset the computer.
3. Unplugged the battery while the window is halfway down, left unplug for 30+ minutes
4. Held the window switch all the way up and all the way down to try resetting it

None of them have helped at all. I have also taken off the door panel, but there’s a thin layer of semi-transparent plastic glued to the frame and I didn’t want to mess around too much without knowing what I was doing.

Any ideas on what I can do? I’m assuming I have to replace the window motor – if so, does anyone know of a good guide for doing that? I’ve not found one.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I doubt it is a motor...

There is a complete re-program procedure for it but cannot locate it now. I believe it is as follows...

Doors closed..windows up...while rolling down the window, pull the fuse for the window (window is in motion)from the fuse box under the hood. (Takes two people) Then reinstall fuse, roll window down and hold switch for 3-5 seconds, then up and hold switch for 3-5 sec.

Am looking for more info.....

added.....leave fuse out for at least 1 min. This procedure is designed to erase the window memory completely and reset it. The method without removing the fuse is to reset the drop setting I believe,

Last edited by AzPete; 09-11-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:42 PM
softserve

Thanks, AzPete.

It's a bit awkward, because I for some reason have to drive the car around the block before it'll even let me roll it down. I did that, pulled the fuse out when it was going down and waited.

Once I put the fuse back in nothing happens. I can't roll the window up or down. I have to restart the car (I tried this with the car on and off) and then it'll roll back up. But then I can't get it back down again without driving the car for a bit.

No luck
Old 09-11-2014, 05:44 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Will the window work if you start the car and just let it sit and idle for the same time as driving it?

If not, there may be a loose connection that needs the vibration from driving to make a connection.

You can gently remove the plastic under the door panel to get to the motor. It can be re-installed easy. There is a plug there to see if it is loose. You also can check at that wire harness to see if you are getting power to the motor. If there is power there every time you activate a switch, then it sounds like a motor. Normally, these motors die completely or make a lot of noise when running.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The window re-calibration procedure is in the OM. If you don't have one, PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you a PDF copy. Unfortunately, I'll be on the road all day tomorrow and likely won't see your response until Saturday (unless you catch me within a half hour from now).