Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant find Sh$@ for tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Question I cant find Sh$@ for tires.

Sup guys...

I need a little advice or help on this tire issue I'm having for my '14 Gt500. Its starting to get cold here in Utah and I need some all season tires.

The fronts are 9.5x19 rim 265-40-19
And the rears are 9.5x20 rim with 285-35-20

The only set of all season tires I can find anywhere are the Michelin pilot sport AS/3's. I've tried researching alt sizes but non of my shops seem to have any idea about what I'm talking about.

Do any of you guys know if I can run the same size on the front but maybe a 295-??-20 something on the rear so I might be able to have some different tire sizes and prices to choose from while keeping my same stock rims?

Thanks for any and all input and advice.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Are you going to drive her in the snow?
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

If you plan to drive it in the winter/cold months it might be better to buy a second set of wheels/tires just for that purpose. It is better than swapping out your summer performance tires each season. Doing that could cause unwanted damage to the wheels, tire beads, and would be a general pain in the butt.

Having separate winter wheels with tires is great. I have 2 sets and swapping them takes 30 minutes. It is worth the slightly higher cost up front. Also, you can then buy the best winter tires available because you can buy any size combination.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:39 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

For what it's worth, I'm using the Michelin AS3 now. I'm pretty happy with it. It is a very quiet tire and the ride quality is excellent. It is not as tacky as a summer tire of course.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Hey just buy an old winter beater vehicle...you will have a GREAT peace of mind...I CANT IMAGINE taking my Snake out in winter conditions...just my opinion...
Old 09-14-2014, 10:10 AM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

I thought about getting a second set of tires and rims but I just cant afford to drop 3G's at the moment... and I plan on driving her a few times in the winter, but not in the snow when I can help it. But in this state, you never know when you might an unplanned snow storm.
I have another car Ill be driving in the winter but Id still rather have 1 set of tires suitable for all conditions, then just summer only tires. Because even the Goodyear's on there now suck in rain. :/
Old 09-14-2014, 02:01 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I would check tire rack, or discount tire to see what they have, online they have tools to help with getting a size that fits.
Yes Utah winters can be surprising, had multiple times where it was clear skies when I got to school and there were inches of snow when I went home.
If you are looking for all season tires I would go skinnier if you can, so sticking with the 285's in the back or smaller would help. If you still want to go wider might as well go all out and get some 305's or bigger, I think 305-30-20 would be roughly the same size so you wouldn't have to worry about the speedo adjustment. I don't know how or if bigger tires will fit in the back though, so keep that in mind if you want to go big out back.

Hope that helps, and good luck this winter!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:07 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Some pointers it that if you ever end up in snow, you want narrow tires. Wide tires are your enemy in the snow. Around me there are stock take off wheels for 500 or less.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04stangman
I thought about getting a second set of tires and rims but I just cant afford to drop 3G's at the moment... and I plan on driving her a few times in the winter, but not in the snow when I can help it. But in this state, you never know when you might an unplanned snow storm.
I have another car Ill be driving in the winter but Id still rather have 1 set of tires suitable for all conditions, then just summer only tires. Because even the Goodyear's on there now suck in rain. :/
Whew! Glad you have another car! Mine will be going into winter hibernation soon..the ONLY time it sees snow or rain is if it looks out the garage window!

Last edited by Lifter583; 09-15-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:50 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I was referring to a set of take off wheels. I don't think anybody would expect to spend $3G on winter wheels/tires that will get scratched, chipped, and pitted from winter driving. Which is another reason to buy a separate set of wheels so you don't mess up your nice summer rims.

Quick Reply: I cant find Sh$@ for tires.