Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable dealership behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Brando

Default Acceptable dealership behavior?

A couple week ago I brought my 13'GT in for an oil change and to have a front suspension knock investigated. I've gone to this dealer for a couple years now and they know who I am and that I don't let them run my car through their car wash. They always ask how I like the car...

The front suspension knock/clunk only occurs at low speeds going over speed bumps and I clearly explained that when I made the appointment and when I dropped the car off. They acknowledged and I went on my way.

This all happened not too long after the dealership abuse video surfaced so I reset my trip calculator and track apps (accelerometer) because I had just given them reason to drive my car to inspect the suspension clunk.

They called and had fixed the suspension and I went to pick up my car. The first thing I did was check the trip calculator and track apps to find that they drove my car 10 miles for 30 minutes and achieved 13mpg.

The real story was in the accelerometer, which showed g-forces from acceleration of over 1.3 g's!

I clearly stated that the suspension issue only happened at low speeds over bumps so I wasn't pleased to see that they dealership took my vehicle on joyride where they dumped the clutch and lit up the tires. I don't drive my car like that and I certainly don't think it's appropriate behavior from a dealership.

What are your thoughts? Am I overreacting?

I left without saying something but then they called me to make sure I was completely satisfied with my experience and I calmly shared what I found. They had the manager call me (wasn't the manager) and didn't provide me with any detail about corrective action. I don't feel like I should go back there...
Old 09-16-2014, 03:06 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

What can you do..... thats why i never bring my car in unless its on fire. Btw how fast is 1.3g?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Brando
A couple week ago I brought my 13'GT in for an oil change and to have a front suspension knock investigated. I've gone to this dealer for a couple years now and they know who I am and that I don't let them run my car through their car wash. They always ask how I like the car...

The front suspension knock/clunk only occurs at low speeds going over speed bumps and I clearly explained that when I made the appointment and when I dropped the car off. They acknowledged and I went on my way.

This all happened not too long after the dealership abuse video surfaced so I reset my trip calculator and track apps (accelerometer) because I had just given them reason to drive my car to inspect the suspension clunk.

They called and had fixed the suspension and I went to pick up my car. The first thing I did was check the trip calculator and track apps to find that they drove my car 10 miles for 30 minutes and achieved 13mpg.

The real story was in the accelerometer, which showed g-forces from acceleration of over 1.3 g's!

I clearly stated that the suspension issue only happened at low speeds over bumps so I wasn't pleased to see that they dealership took my vehicle on joyride where they dumped the clutch and lit up the tires. I don't drive my car like that and I certainly don't think it's appropriate behavior from a dealership.

What are your thoughts? Am I overreacting?

I left without saying something but then they called me to make sure I was completely satisfied with my experience and I calmly shared what I found. They had the manager call me (wasn't the manager) and didn't provide me with any detail about corrective action. I don't feel like I should go back there...
Hello Brando,

I’m happy to get this experience documented for you. Just PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 09-16-2014, 04:30 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13'GT Black
What can you do..... thats why i never bring my car in unless its on fire. Btw how fast is 1.3g?
100% Agree!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:50 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

About the only thing you can do is wait whenever you take your car to a shop and do the test drives but then we all don't have that luxury. I hate leaving my car for anything, always think they'll drive it like they stole it!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

see if you can duplicate the g force. that way you have some idea of how hard a launch is needed to register 1.3g's
Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM
dseg
1st Gear Member

That is why you need to get a dash camera or hidden camera.
After I saw the Sunrise Ford Dealer video with the "mechanics" almost blowing the engine on a Mustang. I immediate did research on dash cameras and installed an almost hidden hardwired camera. Mainly just used for when I drop my car at a dealership or something, which I have not yet...
Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Brando

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
see if you can duplicate the g force. that way you have some idea of how hard a launch is needed to register 1.3g's
I couldn't easily duplicate the g-forces. It was a full hard launch... and impossible to do without dry pavement. It was clearly more than a spirited takeoff. You could only match the forces from a standing launch.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 PM
spacechalklate

Brando,

Where are you located? Which dealership? I think we should start making a list of all dealerships with documented cases of abuse...
Old 09-18-2014, 12:49 AM
roegs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello Brando,

I’m happy to get this experience documented for you. Just PM me back with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
I'd let Deysha run with it for you. Thats one of the benefits of Ford monitoring these forums. Having a dealer hear about this from Ford will have a greater impact than you approaching them about it.

Quick Reply: Acceptable dealership behavior?