Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mod questions need help 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:00 PM
jason5oh

Default mod questions need help 2011 5.0

hey guys so i just got a 2011 5.0 couple months ago had an 03 vert before it on my other car i had intake 373 gears full exhaust headers o/r x pipe and catback of course with the o/r check engine light it on and i no a tune would fix it and help. but i went to a mustang shop near me called real speed. they priced out everything for me bbk headers and x pipe is what i was planning on doing and instal but there telling me that i need to get a hand held tuner and that they need to tune my car and to do that i should get my intake (witch i understand) before a tune because then i would have to retune my car, they said otherwise my car is going to run like crap so me thinking i would spend around 1500.. now came out to almost 3grand are they trying to screw me over or do i really need all this stuff
Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You don't "need" any of it, but those are all worthwhile upgrades. If you wanted to save money, you could hold off on the headers and the CAI until later. The biggest gains are from the Tuner & ORX. I used this package on my 2011 5.0 and ran 12.20 @ 116.5

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-o...r-package.html
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM
jason5oh

but then what happens when i get headers headers really should match the x pipe for fitment
Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jason5oh
hey guys so i just got a 2011 5.0 couple months ago had an 03 vert before it on my other car i had intake 373 gears full exhaust headers o/r x pipe and catback of course with the o/r check engine light it on and i no a tune would fix it and help. but i went to a mustang shop near me called real speed. they priced out everything for me bbk headers and x pipe is what i was planning on doing and instal but there telling me that i need to get a hand held tuner and that they need to tune my car and to do that i should get my intake (witch i understand) before a tune because then i would have to retune my car, they said otherwise my car is going to run like crap so me thinking i would spend around 1500.. now came out to almost 3grand are they trying to screw me over or do i really need all this stuff
Let's see if we can piecemeal something out of this
SCT X4 Tuner & JLT CAI Package $629
BBK headers (i' guessing long tube, since you didn't mention which} $650
O/R X-Pipe $250
Install...maybe $500??
I've got $2100 give or take, but all you mentioned was "headers & x pipe"
You'll definitely need the tuner if you're planning upgrades but you can buy it from AM, Brenspeed, Lethal preloaded with tunes for the upgrades you are planning. That will save you time, money and headaches.
I'd also price out the parts yourself, then find a reputable place to do a package install. Most of the speed shops in my area are willing to give a reasonable labor rate or discount if you are doing everything at once.

If you are set on going Long Tube, I would recommend upgrading the o2 sensors to the Raptor model.
The biggest problem with L/T's is the o2 extenders which are cheap and fail to communicate with the ECM about 60% of the time, which is 99% of the problem when it comes to passing emissions.
The Raptor O2's have Ford OEM extenders specifically built for extended length in trucks (like the raptor). You'll only need one for Bank 2, but there's another $129. Worth it tho.

I'm also curious how you intend to pass emissions unless they don't visually check for cats or tampering in NY...

Last edited by steel pony; 09-22-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:15 PM
jason5oh

Originally Posted by steel pony
Let's see if we can piecemeal something out of this
SCT X4 Tuner & JLT CAI Package $629
BBK headers (i' guessing long tube, since you didn't mention which} $650
O/R X-Pipe $250
Install...maybe $500??
I've got $2100 give or take, but all you mentioned was "headers & x pipe"
You'll definitely need the tuner if you're planning upgrades but you can buy it from AM, Brenspeed, Lethal preloaded with tunes for the upgrades you are planning. That will save you time, money and headaches.
I'd also price out the parts yourself, then find a reputable place to do a package install. Most of the speed shops in my area are willing to give a reasonable labor rate or discount if you are doing everything at once.

If you are set on going Long Tube, I would recommend upgrading the o2 sensors to the Raptor model.
The biggest problem with L/T's is the o2 extenders which are cheap and fail to communicate with the ECM about 60% of the time, which is 99% of the problem when it comes to passing emissions.
The Raptor O2's have Ford OEM extenders specifically built for extended length in trucks (like the raptor). You'll only need one for Bank 2, but there's another $129. Worth it tho.

I'm also curious how you intend to pass emissions unless they don't visually check for cats or tampering in NY...

well they told me i need to dyne tuned but if i just get the tuner combo my car should be fine? they told me my car will run like crap and can hurt the motor. thats the last thing i want but your saying if i get the handheld tuner and tune the car it should be fine? and i have a mechanic that will pass the visual as long as the computer reads good
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jason5oh
but then what happens when i get headers headers really should match the x pipe for fitment
It just depends on how far you think you'll take it. If you think you'll get some real deal headers soon, then hold off on the x-pipe until you buy the headers.