Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather
Default oil and winter storage

yo lads.
soon will be putting my baby away for the winter very soon..just a few questions if you please.
firstly i can only really find 5w 30 oil here in sweden..i used that last year (mobil 1). now is this really ok to use? they recomend 5w 20 dont they?

secondly when in storage is it best to not start all? is it ok to leave it say 6 months without starting it? the car will be kept in a warm garage on wooden blocks (to prevent tire flat spotting)
i was also thinking maybe putting some plastic bags over the exhaust tips to prevent any moisture entering the motor.
cheers rudi
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Fill the tank up and use a winter fuel stabilizer additive.

Put fresh oil in it (5w-20 or 5w-30 is fine). You typically want to start it up at least once every few weeks to a month. Leave the exhaust open, any moisture that does gets will be trapped otherwise.

Here's a pretty good article although it takes some extremes (removing the wheels completely, removing the battery which makes it impossible to start/run)

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...er-75174.xhtml

Most people that will be starting it while in storage use a battery tender/minder that keeps the battery charged.

Here's a couple I don't see mentioned in the article. Don't use your parking brake and leave it in Nuetral. Parking brake use could cause the pads to stick/corrode to the rotors and leaving the car in gear could make it really hard to get out of gear later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly

Last edited by Derf00; 09-24-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

I've been storing cars over the winter for years. Used to store my Thunderbird outside all winter, I would just change the oil, unhook the battery, put it up on jackstands and put mothballs under the car and in the engine bay to keep mice out (didn't really work though).

The Mustang gets an (unheated) garage to hibernate in, usually ends up on jackstands because I'm working on stuff, but otherwise I just change the oil shortly before storage, unhook the battery, and that's about it. If it's indoors there's not as much to worry about.
C&L Racer, 93R Tune, SR UDP's, JBA ceramic LT's & catted shorty H, Magnaflow resonators, Edelbrock SDT AB, Steeda Tri-Ax, "P" springs Spohn reloc brackets/lowers, J&M AL panhard bar, DIY brace, smoked markers/LED tail lights
ghunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
scottmach
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT

5W-30 is fine. Starting your car while in storage is not a good idea as you'll never run it long enough to burn off the condensation. Put a battery tender on it and leave it be. Moth ***** on the outside and dryer sheets on the inside will help keep the critters away.
Boss Intake, Circle D 4C converter, American Racing 1 7/8 Longtubes and off road x-pipe, Kooks catback, BMR lowering springs, BMR lower control arms, BMR control arm relocation brackets, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Self Tuned

2003 Mach1 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @ 25 lbs. SOLD
2.3 polished Whipple and every other mod possible
scottmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
jz
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 mustang GT

I put my car away in the garage on jack stands, battery tender, and change the oil. I have a cover that gets installed too, but only during the winter storage.

06 GT. Steeda Hood, Bumper, F&R sway bars, strut tower brace, struts/shocks, sport springs, HD strut mounts, UDP's, delete plates. Hawk Brake pads. Power Slot Rotors. Goodridge Braided brake Lines. BMR combo UCA, combo/adj LCA's, LCA relocation brackets, adj panhard bar, panhard bar brace. Pro 5.0 shifter. K&N CAI. Magnaflow Magnapacks cat back. FRPP 4.10's. BAMACHIPS SCT 93 tune.
jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

cheers lads..mobil 1 has been ordered...i've heard from many peeps not to start during winter because of condensation build up in the motor and will rot the exhaust from the inside..
Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Do NOT start your engine unless you can drive it a minimum of 10-20 miles before re-locating it back in storage.

A fresh oil change as soon as possible before placing it in storage is all that's needed. But again, that should be a minimum 10-20 mile drive before storing to ensure you've driven off some moisture.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement