Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Diff with new gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:22 AM
GS81VETT

Red face New Diff with new gears

Hey guys,

So my three month old (to me) 2006 GT had the bearings in the diff going bad and making some wonderful noises.

Anyway the shop wanted $1500.00 just to replace the bearings. I would do it myself by I don’t have the time and have not rebuilt a rear end in some time......

Anyway doing some research I found a Ford Racing fully assembled Rear end with 3:73 gears and 31 splines and upgraded carrier with a LOC limited slip for $1200.....DUH think I will go that route.

Anyway I hope to put her in this weekend and will update the process but wanted to know what you guys thought if I was not able to program the ECU right away? Is the car going to freak out? Will I get errors? The car has a tune on it but it came that way and I don’t know what was put in. The previous owner put on 17" tires to replace the 18 my guess is he wanted more hole shot and did not want to put in new gears.

So thoughts? Should I worry or do I have some time?

Thanks

G
Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GS81VETT
Hey guys,

So my three month old (to me) 2006 GT had the bearings in the diff going bad and making some wonderful noises.

Anyway the shop wanted $1500.00 just to replace the bearings. I would do it myself by I don’t have the time and have not rebuilt a rear end in some time......

Anyway doing some research I found a Ford Racing fully assembled Rear end with 3:73 gears and 31 splines and upgraded carrier with a LOC limited slip for $1200.....DUH think I will go that route.

Anyway I hope to put her in this weekend and will update the process but wanted to know what you guys thought if I was not able to program the ECU right away? Is the car going to freak out? Will I get errors? The car has a tune on it but it came that way and I don’t know what was put in. The previous owner put on 17" tires to replace the 18 my guess is he wanted more hole shot and did not want to put in new gears.

So thoughts? Should I worry or do I have some time?

Thanks

G
Speedo will be off and also probably gas mileage but you should be good to go other than that.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would skip the FRPP diff and get the Auburn gear driven LSD. No clutch pack to wear out and it's stronger. You would be out the cost of the diff which is around $500, gears, $180, mini install kit at $30-40, sometimes you will need the full kit at $100, and $300 for labor. So you are looking at around $1000.

You will have a better unit that will last longer and hold more power. No parts to wear and rebuild. Ask Sactown how many times his diff got rebuilt. He probably had done at least 5 times.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

$1500 to replace the bearings? F THEM! Find a private shop that does nothing but differentials. If you switch to the Trutrac make sure you get your old part back which you can sell, or make sure they give you credit for it.

Just to give you and idea, I had a locker in my car which I toasted. I replaced it with the Trutrac. Couldn't be happier. $1200 start to finish including all new axle seals which had just been replaced. Everything but the axles were replaced. I sheared off all but one bolt on my ring gear. Debris destroyed everything.

$1500 for bearings is just stupid. I would have told that guy off.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM
GS81VETT

Originally Posted by Simon1
$1500 to replace the bearings? F THEM! Find a private shop that does nothing but differentials. If you switch to the Trutrac make sure you get your old part back which you can sell, or make sure they give you credit for it.

Just to give you and idea, I had a locker in my car which I toasted. I replaced it with the Trutrac. Couldn't be happier. $1200 start to finish including all new axle seals which had just been replaced. Everything but the axles were replaced. I sheared off all but one bolt on my ring gear. Debris destroyed everything.

$1500 for bearings is just stupid. I would have told that guy off.
Ya I was more then disapointed and wont be going back to that shop. (they used to be great but got bought out by some other company) I did look for a shop just to do the bearings and could only find a cost of $1200.00 to be the lowest and no one would let me bring my own parts. IE found bearings and gears for about $250.00. Anyway this is my daily driver so I ordered the rear end it should be here tomorrow. I do plan on taking my current diff apart and possibly rebuilding it and then selling it to recover some money.

I just ran out of time the bearing are really MOANING so I did not want to wait any longer.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

That's ridiculous. Axle bearings for our cars are like $6. To replace the entire bearing kit for the diff is about a 3 hour ordeal in a shop. So $1200 is asinine.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would skip the FRPP diff and get the Auburn gear driven LSD. No clutch pack to wear out and it's stronger. You would be out the cost of the diff which is around $500, gears, $180, mini install kit at $30-40, sometimes you will need the full kit at $100, and $300 for labor. So you are looking at around $1000.

You will have a better unit that will last longer and hold more power. No parts to wear and rebuild. Ask Sactown how many times his diff got rebuilt. He probably had done at least 5 times.
What about noise on the gear driven Auburn? Anytime you use gears for something that is normally driven by other means (chain, clutches, etc) you run the risk of additional noise. This is a curiosity question.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:46 PM
GS81VETT

That's ridiculous. Axle bearings for our cars are like $6. To replace the entire bearing kit for the diff is about a 3 hour ordeal in a shop. So $1200 is asinine.

Good luck!
RIGHT that is what I thought?? I talked to two different shops and as I said one was 1500 with parts. $1000.00 for labor and the other was about $1000.00 with parts. This would include the pinion bearing so that means a new seal and crush sleeve but still I thought it was very high....

Thanks for the input. I am excited about the new rear end though.... I should have it in this weekend....Looking forward to a quieter and quicker ride!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GS81VETT
Ya I was more then disapointed and wont be going back to that shop. (they used to be great but got bought out by some other company) I did look for a shop just to do the bearings and could only find a cost of $1200.00 to be the lowest and no one would let me bring my own parts. IE found bearings and gears for about $250.00. Anyway this is my daily driver so I ordered the rear end it should be here tomorrow. I do plan on taking my current diff apart and possibly rebuilding it and then selling it to recover some money.

I just ran out of time the bearing are really MOANING so I did not want to wait any longer.
It's hard to beat the frpp complete rear end if you don't have the time to repair yours. Someone local to you will likely buy your 8.8 from you. I think i read the frpp even comes with gear oil all ready in it.

I just replaced my axle seals and what a pain

Old 09-24-2014, 03:36 PM
GS81VETT

Thanks. no the unit does not come with fluid but I just orderd some royal purple 75W/140 as per suggested from Ford. I also will be putting in new bushings back there seeing I have to take it apart. Wish I had the extra money I would do the springs and brakes and sway bar, panhard bar.... and so on and so on.....But then what would I do once it was all done...?

Quick Reply: New Diff with new gears