Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rear Axle and Poly Bushings Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I've heard 800bhp for the 8.8. A buddy has a 1200rwhp and has a 9.9 or something like that in it but ran the 8.8 for a long time.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
stupid question, but what can this rear handle? I'm looking to max out at 650rwhp in the future, 700 tops (with a new lower end) but right now sitting at 450rwhp give or take... I dont want 4.10s because of the highway driving I do (70 miles one way to work nearly all highway), and thought this was a really good deal.... any more info?
It really depends more on what diff is in there and what size axles. For yours, which is mostly stock, you probably won't break it ever. The clutch usually wear out and you get one wheel peel. BUt like what is said above, somewhere near the 700 HP mark generally if you aren't racing. If you are a racing, might go the first time, might never go.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM
GS81VETT

Ok guys,

I got her done! No real issues. I would recomend this to anyone with a bit of skill and some patience. I used only hand tools and when putting it back in I did need some help. Two other people to be exact and one other jack. I did not have time to put these pics on a site that will make it easy to link them to this thread so I shared them to this link..

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...48599766103841

Feel free to look. Now I did NOT put in the poly bushings. One, the stock ones are in great shape, that said the work to burn them out would have been just too much for my time budget. The entire operation from start to finish was about 12 hours. Now this was my first time doing this so I really took my time.

As for the bushings the car feels great and there is no issue so far. I have only driven it about 20 miles and I am taking it easy to get the pattern set.

For anyone doing I would highly recomend to put the gear oil in BEFORE you put the rear end back in. The fill plug is in the front and unless you have a pump you will not be able to get the bottles up there.

other then that it was a great experiance and worth the work. She is so quite not I think there is something wrong. I will add to this after she gets broken in. Sorry for the lack of a good write up with each picture having an explinataion but I am not used to this site yet but I will get there.

Thanks for the input to all

G

Last edited by GS81VETT; 09-29-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GS81VETT
Ok guys,

I got her done! No real issues. I would recomend this to anyone with a bit of skill and some patience. I used only hand tools and when putting it back in I did need some help. Two other people to be exact and one other jack. I did not have time to put these pics on a site that will make it easy to link them to this thread so I shared them to this link..

https://plus.google.com/photos/11650...48599766103841

Feel free to look. Now I did NOT put in the poly bushings. One, the stock ones are in great shape, that said the work to burn them out would have been just too much for my time budget. The entire operation from start to finish was about 12 hours. Now this was my first time doing this so I really took my time.

As for the bushings the car feels great and there is no issue so far. I have only driven it about 20 miles and I am taking it easy to get the pattern set.

For anyone doing I would highly recomend to put the gear oil in BEFORE you put the rear end back in. The fill plug is in the front and unless you have a pump you will not be able to get the bottles up there.

other then that it was a great experiance and worth the work. She is so quite not I think there is something wrong. I will add to this after she gets broken in. Sorry for the lack of a good write up with each picture having an explinataion but I am not used to this site yet but I will get there.

Thanks for the input to all

G

Get a piece of tubing, push it on the tip of the bottle (that's why they are tapered and have ribs on them). Stick the end of the tubing in the fill hole, invert the bottle and squeeze.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Quite a bit of rust under there!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:03 PM
GS81VETT

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
Get a piece of tubing, push it on the tip of the bottle (that's why they are tapered and have ribs on them). Stick the end of the tubing in the fill hole, invert the bottle and squeeze.
Yes if you dont have a choice there are ways. I was just saying if you have the housing out it is easier to fill er up before you put it back in. Not a lot of room under there.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
GS81VETT

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
Quite a bit of rust under there!
Really? For an 06 with 98K on it? Other then the exhaust pipes I thought it was pretty clean. Maybe I didnt want to see it....
Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

nice job, congrats!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GS81VETT
G
Originally Posted by gmoran1469
I didn't even find the attach-a-tube-to-the-quart-bottle method to work anywhere near as good as using the little 4-ounce friction modifier bottle to squirt the lube into the pumpkin. It's not quite as tedious as it sounds to do it this way, and way less frustrating than having quart bottles that you can't empty no matter how high up you try to get it or how hard you squeeze it..

I don't remember if I used a short tube on the little bottle for adding the axle lube like know I do for the transmission.

Norm
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I didn't even find the attach-a-tube-to-the-quart-bottle method to work anywhere near as good as using the little 4-ounce friction modifier bottle to squirt the lube into the pumpkin. It's not quite as tedious as it sounds to do it this way, and way less frustrating than having quart bottles that you can't empty no matter how high up you try to get it or how hard you squeeze it..

I don't remember if I used a short tube on the little bottle for adding the axle lube like know I do for the transmission.

Norm
I think I had mine on a lift when I did it. Didn't add any friction mod iirc.

Quick Reply: New Rear Axle and Poly Bushings Install